5E Character Create Playlist
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    I think you are mistaking "Under Consideration" with "Planned" as being on a "TODO" list.
    Under Consideration simple means it has not been rejected. SmiteWorks almost never mentions what is on their Planned or Todo list. Generally unless they have already committed to it, they don't make it publicly known.

In general most software developers consider it a very bad idea to make public any roadmap of features. It hinders flexibility, invites disagreement, and distracts focus. And it can often divide a community. Sure, I would love to know their plans. Given I'm in application development myself I think I have a professional curiosity. But I still don't want them to make any such plans public. That information is proprietary, and needs to stay that way.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I have to disagree with you. Every software company I have work for had to provide a public roadmap of what we were working on. The pubic companies have to let the stockholders know. The private companies had to show our customers what was coming in order to keep them. In the private side in one company most of what we were developing was exactly what they were asking for so they wanted very detailed roadmaps and dates.

SmiteWorks I think we all know what they are working on. Unity. Since it seems that less than a dozen people work there that is a full time job and a half. Since they are a small company they do not have to have a real posted roadmap but that will hurt them if they want to grow. You have to keep your users excited about what is to come and talking about you. People want to hear about new features and where things are headed. I think the kickstarter did a a great job of that.

This is all far off the topic of this post.

If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468
    Edited to update the link to the new link.
    Last edited by Granamere; January 26th, 2021 at 04:21.

I think we have a roadmap.

We know the priority is to get Unity out of Beta. We know about the character wizard and what the next stage of that will be. We can see the map making abilities with Josh’s incredible Art Packs and the recent updates to the map making and LoS tools. We know that Dominic has showcased his Theatre of the Mind work and his changes to the UI. We know that after release high on the list is some form of dynamic lighting. We know that movement is something of a high priority as well and we know the devs are keen to look at the way effects are done. We know that things are moving forward and there are exciting times ahead.

We also know as well of course that it is impossible to fulfill everyone’s desires.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    In general most software developers consider it a very bad idea to make public any roadmap of features. It hinders flexibility, invites disagreement, and distracts focus. And it can often divide a community. Sure, I would love to know their plans. Given I'm in application development myself I think I have a professional curiosity. But I still don't want them to make any such plans public. That information is proprietary, and needs to stay that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Granamere View Post
    I have to disagree with you. Every software company I have work for had to provide a public roadmap of what we were working on. The pubic companies have to let the stockholders know. The private companies had to show our customers what was coming in order to keep them. In the private side in one company most of what we were developing was exactly what they were asking for so they wanted very detailed roadmaps and dates.
    I have to politely disagree with you LE, and agree with Granamere. Our experience is different than yours apparently. Mine is coming from a software engineering background developing internal applications and supporting custom software suites from external software vendors in the corporate America. Users want to know what the developers of the products they purchase and use are working towards, even if there isn't a set date until it gets close to release (or pilot group, or alpha/beta testing). I have to provide it at work for internal products I work on. I pretty much demand it from software vendors that I am the administrator and purchasing decision for, otherwise their MSAs are worthless to us. We demand fore-knowledge of what is in a release prior to it being implemented in even our development environments.

The large majority of our software vendors also have conferences where they lay out the roadmap of upcoming features that are set in the pipeline, what they want to do (forward looking statements that may or not happen for various reasons), and generally an overall discussion of what the community wants. I know SW isn't big enough to have conferences, but that doesn't preclude letting the community know the roadmap. Yes, we all know Unity is THE priority for Doug and John, and we've seen some positive strides forward by the new ruleset devs that were hired.

I think the request for roadmaps is more based on the general thirst for knowledge of our community, and it can be given with caveats (as companies with roadmaps do). You might find that features you are currently working on are generally not important to the end users, or you may find that a feature that you are putting off until later is actually more important than what you are currently working on...and you get that with feedback from your community when they know what you are working on.

All that being said, I've voted on several items in the wishlist in the past. The "issues" I laid out in my previous post are things that I think hampers or discourages community members from going out there...that is all.

Thanks for your attention and interaction with the community!
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

For all that voted for this in the past will you please do so again.

New year, new FG Unity, new list of items. I can not blame you for starting fresh everything change with the release of Unity.
    If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.

Quote Originally Posted by Granamere View Post
    For all that voted for this in the past will you please do so again.

Why haven't you voted?

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It seems if you make the post you can not vote for it yourself. I can vote for the other ideas just not my own.

Here is what I see.
    wishlist.jpg
    Last edited by Granamere; January 22nd, 2021 at 22:34.

A wishlist would be nice but im amazed , after skimming this thread how much drama was going on about it. Its not a HUGE deal for a wishlist for I'd guess the majority of customers, a nice to have ...sure.

I also am amazed how many people get riled up "i cant believe Smiteworks didnt add this yet or why isnt blah feature in fg yet etc. ....and theres like what 6 people coding everything and mostly working on Unity.

It pretty damn impressive what we have now from Smiteworks given the small size team.

Well, you know, internet. Everything is so pleasant here that we need to get outraged over something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytherus View Post
    A wishlist would be nice but im amazed , after skimming this thread how much drama was going on about it. Its not a HUGE deal for a wishlist for I'd guess the majority of customers, a nice to have ...sure.

I also am amazed how many people get riled up "i cant believe Smiteworks didnt add this yet or why isnt blah feature in fg yet etc. ....and theres like what 6 people coding everything and mostly working on Unity.

It pretty damn impressive what we have now from Smiteworks given the small size team.
    Yeah, ... but that is the internet for you.
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; January 28th, 2021 at 12:56.

Thread Information