Starfinder Playlist
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345
    The script section is in whichever XML file that the number field to double click is in. The example above is for the Babylon 5 Influence rules, which throw 2d6 plus your bonus to get the result. The number fields you want to throw dice for may be in any of the charsheet XML files.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie
    How about spell failure. In the most basic form, I would like to be able to double click the spell failure and have it run a d100. In the best scenario it would be cool to roll a d100 and give a Succeed or Fail message if the roll fell within the Failure amount.

Can someone point me in the right direction, I am assuming it is similar to the d20 code Joshuha wrote.

Thanks
    Just to let you know, the OGL does NOT allow the implimentation of this sort of code. The OGL states, from what I understand, that any software based on it should not be an interactive game i.e. tell you whether something failed or succeded. You need to do that yourself.

See https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?...lfaq/20040123i for more information particularly 'Q: What is different if I use the d20 System License?'

Sorry

Just want to keep you on the safe side of the law

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by talking_fish
    Tom ... exactly what portion of this FAQ are you referring to specifically?

Depends what defines an: an interactive game.
    Tailz, the Artist of Studio WyldFurr
    Follow Studio WyldFurr on Twitter, Facebook, and the studio web site.
    "The London Underground, is not a resistance movement!"

My opinion would be that it's probably okay to automatically roll the dice, but when you start calculating the successes and embedding the tables in the code then you're heading toward the grey areas. Not being a lawyer, I tend to be cautious when it comes to legal stuff.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Quote Originally Posted by Thore_Ironrock
    Tom ... exactly what portion of this FAQ are you referring to specifically?
    He's referring to the rules about automation in an interactive game which a Spell Failure Check would fall under I, the double click functions should be fine.
    Last edited by Sorontar; December 5th, 2007 at 22:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailz Silver Paws
    Depends what defines an: an interactive game.
    Hmm ... I agree with Tailz. The statement about the embedded tables is pretty clear, and that part I can't argue with. For d20, you cannot "tell" the characters what their specific result is when it is found in a table. In case people haven't noticed, there is no experience points table in the d20 license. The only thing you can reference in that regard is a Challenge Rating.

That all said, I'm not 100% convinced that FG is an "interactive game" by the definition they are giving. If it were, WOTC would have shut it down years ago. My guess is this applies more to traditional computer games, or "software gaming assistants" that have been popping up around the Net. This could change though for 4E, which would prevent us from doing 4E OGL in FG.

As for Josh's potential code, there is nothing preventing him from developing it for another gaming system ... and then if people want to modify it for personal use more power to them.

Sorry for the confusion . I'm not a lawyer or anything, I have just been looking into it as I am writing a ruleset based on the OGL mongoose runequest rules, and have had to read over and try to understand wizards FAQ

What I meant to say was:

Rolling the dice any way you like is fine, I believe

BUT

If the PROGRAM tells the player what the roll MEANS (Success / Fail), there might be a problem with the OGL.

I was just trying to let you know so that no one gets on the wrong side of wizards and they come around knocking.

Sorry for any confusion

Tom
    Last edited by talking_fish; December 6th, 2007 at 18:07.

Quote Originally Posted by talking_fish
    Sorry for the confusion . I'm not a lawyer or anything, I have just been looking into it as I am writing a ruleset based on the OGL mongoose runequest rules, and have had to read over and try to understand wizards FAQ
    Tom,

FYI ... Runequest is not OGL in the way d20 is; it is a publisher-to-publisher license that Mongoose is being allowed to distribute. I know, I've spoken directly to Matt Sprange about it. The Runequest "OGL licensing" is a bit deceptive at first glance. Mongoose has the final say in anything RQ related right now. When I asked Matt about Runequest I was told "not at this time" for any software-related products. That was a year ago.

I feel really late to the game on this, but I've just implemented this code for the C&C ruleset and it works really well. I had always wondered why it wasn't possible to double-click certain rolls.

Now I don't care why it was never added, I've done it myself! With your help, of course.

Thank you very much for helping to make our gaming experience better.
    I enjoy running Castles & Crusades. Current campaign(s) on hiatus.
    Willing to run one-shots for players who want to learn the ruleset. Feel free to contact me.

Thread Information