DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Missing Racial Traits after character import from hero labs! Any ideas?

Newbie here trying to figure things out, thanks to all those out there in the community and the FGC for their help so far, but I've run into an snag consistently with the Hero Labs export and FG character converter importer: the characters are missing their racial traits under the abilities tab. Please note this is for PathFinder V1.

Any help would be most appreciated!

ChipDancer

Heya ChipDancer,

I experienced the same problem when I first started using FGC. The XML format of Hero Lab has been a challenge across many platforms and this one is no exception. What I have resorted to doing is creating my character in parallel in both FGC and HL. The drag and drop functionality of FGC is pretty good and I use HL to check the math of FGC.

In fact, just last night I had a personal breakthough in my abilities to create Effects in FGC to emulate what HL does. It's really not that hard to do once you get the hang of it.

Bottom line, I found importiing from HL more work than it's worth. It turned out to be easier to re-create the character in FGC. If you post questions about things you are trying to accomplish in this forum, you will get answers REALLY fast.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard
    1. I actually have a grey beard
    2. I have been playing RPGs since 1978.

Thanks for the replies! Mhossom, how are you doing effects? I'm still so new to everything and every example I have seen thinks you already know what you are doing or is that and 5e! LOL!!!
    If you have any links with step by step best practices for effect creation or youtube links I would be most appreciated!

ChipDancer

I can type up my process for doing things later today. The mechanics are not too tough (right click is your friend). The syntax of the effects can be frustrating if you are trying something you have never done before.
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard

Here we go. I am new to this too, so there may be better ways of doing this. I do everything from the Abilities tab of the character

1. Click the little button in the bottom right corner of that tab and then click the star to create a spell class (even if they don't cast spells)
    2. Give the class a name. I usually create 2. One called Magic Items and another called Feats/Abilities
    3. Grant the "spell class" cantrips by putting a 1 in the level 0 spell box.
    4. Click the green + to add a "spell" to the character and give it a name. (ex. Power Attack, Anatomist...)
    5. Right click on the "spell" and select the arrow to add a spell action and then select the type of action you want (cast, damage, heal, or effect)
    6. Use this page for the syntax of what you should type in the field that appears. (I am over simplifying this part.)
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...p/3.5E_Effects

This is a great resource too.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ffects-library

Here is what I put in for Power Attack ATK: -1; DMG: 2 (note the required colons and semicolon)

Frequent this forum for help and ask questions. People are extremely helpful.

Hope this is correct and helps.
    Last edited by mhossom; July 18th, 2020 at 16:31.
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard

Quote Originally Posted by mhossom View Post
    Here we go. I am new to this too, so there may be better ways of doing this. I do everything from the Abilities tab of the character

1. Click the little button in the bottom right corner of that tab and then click the star to create a spell class (even if they don't cast spells)
    2. Give the class a name. I usually create 2. One called Magic Items and another called Feats/Abilities
    3. Grant the "spell class" cantrips by putting a 1 in the level 0 spell box.
    4. Click the green + to add a "spell" to the character and give it a name. (ex. Power Attack, Anatomist...)
    5. Right click on the "spell" and select the arrow to add a spell action and then select the type of action you want (cast, damage, heal, or effect)
    6. Use this page for the syntax of what you should type in the field that appears. (I am over simplifying this part.)
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...p/3.5E_Effects

This is a great resource too.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ffects-library

Here is what I put in for Power Attack ATK: -1; DMG: 2 (note the required colons and semicolon)

Frequent this forum for help and ask questions. People are extremely helpful.

Hope this is correct and helps.
    For effects I'd rather use the new wiki: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...d+3.5E+Effects

There are a little bit more informations

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    For effects I'd rather use the new wiki: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...d+3.5E+Effects

There are a little bit more informations
    I consider it a victory that I didn't need more corrections than that. Thanks for the update link.
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard

Quote Originally Posted by mhossom View Post
    I consider it a victory that I didn't need more corrections than that. Thanks for the update link.
    Thanks so very much for taking the time to explain that to me!
    -I finally feel like I can actually start making use of all this stuff! LOL!!!
    -I will also take a look at that link you posted so thanks again!

ChipDancer

Thread Information