DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 21 of 53 First ... 11192021222331 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by delring View Post
    Yesterday, I started a character creation session for a few members of the group. Using cloud for connectivity. One user, Vairgrim, got dropped a couple of times. I'm attaching the logs we got. I have two logs from him, one after each reconnect once we started tracking.
    Check the advanced security feature used by Comcast and other ISPs. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sers-Important

Check on the GM side first.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hi not sure if this is a connectivity issue or general performance issue tbh but perhaps I need help in troubleshooting further. Have been running FGC with 5 remote players, mostly without a hitch on a mix of windows and linux player PCs and a fairly well specced W10 machine as host via portforwarding, but decided last night to take a plunge and switch to unity. Copy and paste operations of the old campaign data seemed to work surprisingly well apart from some broken links to things like edges and hindrances on character sheets (running SW DLR) and nearly all my sound triggers were missing from Celestian's audiooverseer extension. I'll research separately and I don't think related to major issue we had.
    Ran as a private cloud session with players connecting via lobby. Initial wait to join game of several minutes was expected, and actually I think faster than we previously experienced under FGC but then the recurring issue started. Roughly every 6mins, the FGU program on my host machine would become unresponsive with the windows 10 blue circle spinning for what seemed like forever but actually was somewhere just over a minute. It didn't noticeably happen in response to any specific action I took as a GM and I could otherwise continue to operate my computer normally throughout. Oddly the players were in most cases able to continue to make rolls, move characters around on maps etc on their local PC but the changes obviously didnt become visible to the GM or rest of the group until the blue circle stopped spinning on my host PC. Tolerable perhaps as an occasional glitch, however it did it repeatedly throughout the entire session, making running a supposedly fast paced combat a traumatic experience to say the least. I don't think it was an internet speed issue for any of us as we were communicating over Hangouts the entire time, and Windows Taskmanager indicated nothing was maxed out on my PC or even close, while the blue circle was doing its thing.
    I did have one player struggling to join for much of the session as he seemed to be having difficulty getting his login to work under FGU and eventually resorted to doing a complete reinstall of FGU on his PC, but I don't think it could have been his attempts to join that was causing the issue, as when he finally did manage to join, the blue circle activity/annoyance continued to occur at seemingly the same regular intervals.
    Any ideas where I can go from here?
    I can't believe everyone using FGU at present is having this same performance issue or no-one would be even trying to run a game so I have to believe it was a specific issue with my set up but where to look? Otherwise seems we will be heading back to FGC for next week's session and the forseeable future- very disappointing for the whole group as a first experience of running FGU I'm afraid...

Besides the core book, what else do you have shared or active during your sessions? Does your machine or any of your players meet the suggested specs? Do you have an disk maintenance tools, or any aggressive anti-virus programs running? Usually, I get the blue circle if I have way too much content and I am doing a search in the library. Definition of too much content, in my case, too many TOKENS, MAPS, assets, and extensions. Try running with no extensions forst, and then go from there. If you have not already, clean up your assets and any third party content. Even though FGC can handle larger files, it cannot push more files than we have bandwidth to players. There are so many potential issues this could be, such as a scattered hard drive, an active anti-virus program, WIRELESS connections are often troublesome too.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Can you try and host the same game with no players, and let me know if the issue persists?
    If it does, can you try hosting the Sample 5E Campaign, to see if you experience the same issue?

While I have no issues running FGU using the installer in the first post, I do note that when trying to install via Steam it still comes up with an error (in Steam)

Screenshot_20201020_183607.png

This matters not to me but let me know what I can do to get it working - Manjaro Linux is my distribution.

OOPS - wrong location - reposting to correct place.

Thanks for the tips Laerun and Smelton. Tried running with no players connected and same behaviour happened about 6m into game loading as I was just flicking through combat tracker but not doing anything else. I've fired up the 5e sampler and no such issues at all, so perhaps it might be something to do with my broken links or an extension after all. My sound links for AO were in a module which doesnt seem to have copied across so will fix that for starters. At least I know I can test it without my players sitting around whistling now so thats great- would be nice to try and stick with FGU if we can, now we've taken the leap!

I was talking with Moon Wizard about your issue this morning and he mentioned the campaign auto-save feature runs every 5 minutes.. it could be related. Would you mind zipping up your campaign and sending it over to me so I can try to replicate the issue?

Could well be onto something around flabby campaign data especially as its a long running campaign I copied and pasted across from FGC. It took an age to zip the whole thing up into a mod file. It might be helpful to know if I can safely delete any bits manually- like old db.session files of which there are several for instance, and what is actually getting backed up every 5mins. I'm on an SSD though so even flabby campaigns should get backed up pretty quick I would have thought on my system unless its zipping stuff up every time??
    Have pm'ed you a gdrive link as file too large to send otherwise. Let me know if you have any access issues or need anything different. Thanks for your time.

One further observation- shutting down FG takes about the same length of time re the unresponsiveness- just under a couple of minutes. HDD activity not showing any significant activity levels but CPU "spikes" from around 20% utilisation to 34% in taskmanager with FG showing as "unresponsive", on a 4 core i5-6600K
    Last edited by dikdastard; October 22nd, 2020 at 00:18.

Worked fine for me on Sunday with another group.

Today, we tried to play and they'd connect and then get disconnect. I would get a "disconnected from cloud" message and then would go back on.

Are we any further towards investigating my issue possibly due to the autosave feature? Would it be possible to manually disable autosave during a game session firstly to see if it is the issue and secondly as a fix until I can work out what bits I need to trim from the campaign to stop the delay?

Should I be moving this to another thread as it doesn't seem like its a connectivity issue?

Thread Information