FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Campaign data stored in Dropbox directory?

Hey all!

I'm new to FG and jumping directly into Unity since it seems to be the future. I work and play on two different computers, my desktop at home and a laptop at my girlfriend's. I'd like to use a Dropbox folder to store my campaign data, to keep it synched between the computers. I assume this should work just by changing the Data Directory in Settings. However, I wanted to ask around to see if anyone else had tried this before I risk breaking my system. Does anyone have any advice on the matter?

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

Hi Christopher, welcome to FG.

It is not recommended that you use any kind of cloud synchronisation since you can lose data if the sync happens whilst FG is being used. You can use Dropbox but just make sure that there isn't any kind of sync going on whilst FG is being used. It's best actually to simply copy the data manually.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

It's highly recommended to not use a cloud location to store campaign and/or program files as the syncing could corrupt data. I would keep a backup of your data locally to ensure you don't lose your campaign if you do ultimately go down this path.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Cool, thanks for the quick feedback, folks. That does make sense, though. I'll probably just stick with back ups on a usb drive.

I've heard of some success with using cloud storage to use it to copy the data to the storage, and then pasting it to the other computer. Just don't want the program to point to the storage.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Blog Entries
    There is a batch file on the forums here that will zip up your FG data folder and copy it to a cloud shared folder. If of interest and you can't find it, I can probably find it for you

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I tried out a scenario where I used Subversion with the repo stored on a local server and the two PCs I typically switched between pulling the campaign data from it. As long as I remembered to commit the changes, it worked great because I never used FG at the same time on the two PCs.

Now, I'm back to 1 PC so I don't need that setup anymore.

I don't wanna go to the basement to work on my campaign, so I may consider the SVN route myself. It's been like a decade since I have used it, is the problem!

I've been using git up to bitbucket to store my campaign data. Has the additional benefit of making "backups" frequently

Quote Originally Posted by Imagix View Post
    I've been using git up to bitbucket to store my campaign data. Has the additional benefit of making "backups" frequently
    First reaction was "overkill" but I see some benefit in putting the campaign in GIT... especially if you use this as base for other campaign and you need to quickly borrow something
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Thread Information