DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Smiteworks should make a FGU Art Pack bundle to show a little love for the DMs who will be getting most/all of these to the detriment of our wallets.
    Indeed JohnD! There is talk for some iteration of this idea.

So admittedly i am not much of an artist, but it seems that the map packs are missing pieces that should be there. For example, if you put down a background tile of a town...the edges are cut off and there really don't seem to be good decorations, brushes, etc that smooth out the cut off trees or the hills. I like some of the towns as a starting point, but i would like to extend them. Also, i thought the FG map sets had LOS in them, but the background tiles of the towns definitely don't? Are there more tile sets coming? I seem to be limited in what i can create at the moment and none of my old map packs that i purchased will work well under FGU.

Good day Elvedui,
    Lets see if we can get this sorted out for you. I am not sure what you mean by 'cut off'. I am assuming you are working with the FG Town Maps 2?
    Last edited by jwatmough; August 2nd, 2020 at 15:27.

Oh it isn't a bug on the map, but for example you have forests and the edge of the map is a half tree or a half hill and i don't really seem to have assets in any of the map packs to extend that partial town map. I own all the map packs. So the problem is with the edges of virtuall all of the premade background maps (other than the ones that are only one color).

Quote Originally Posted by Elvedui View Post
    Oh it isn't a bug on the map, but for example you have forests and the edge of the map is a half tree or a half hill and i don't really seem to have assets in any of the map packs to extend that partial town map. I own all the map packs. So the problem is with the edges of virtuall all of the premade background maps (other than the ones that are only one color).
    Yes, the premade example maps are indeed cut off at the edges however this is very easy to expand upon none the less. The first step will be to obviously drag one of the premade maps on the open images and maps window to create a workspace. Then we drag in an appropriate background and place it next to the map in the direction we would like to expand.
    Annotation 2020-08-06 143253.jpg
    Our next step is to camouflage the join by placing, in this instance I used bushes and pine trees, relevant objects over those images that are cut off.
    Annotation 2020-08-06 143252.jpg
    With proper use of textures, overlays, and shadows you should be able to make the join unnoticeable.

I can certainly demonstrate this for you on this Saturday's Art stream at 3 p.m. eastern time.
    Last edited by jwatmough; August 6th, 2020 at 19:44.

I did try to do that, but found i was missing art elements that i needed, but again some people are far more talented with brushes and the tools available...not my particular skill set. i wasn't using the village with the waterfront and it also had the hills. I found nothing that i could use that made sense for the hills. i will try to join the stream Sat. Also, is there any intent to put LOS for those premade villages or other maps with premade items on them? Or is that being left to the GM.

Jwatmough,

Will your art classes on twitch be stored or viewable at a later date? I am very interested in mastering how to use tiles to make dungeons in Unity and getting me up to speed on just the basics can really help. Doug did a few videos but some very basic concepts were lost on me. For example If you are starting out the very first time do you lay down a background first? How big is it? Suppose I want to go hog wilde and make an extremely large dungeon but not sure how to go about it? (that is one of my goals)

The potential to blow out of the water any premade modules is immense and seems to be the best on the market outside of art tools like Adobe or Map tools.

Joshua,
    I found the Gencon Map Creation 1 video saved on twitch and at 538am on a Saturday I am watching it now. >> Thanks!

How do I save the maps I create? If they disappear once closed, how can I use them?

When you create a map, it is saved in the campaign that you created it in.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information