5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: NPC Baddies

NPC Baddies

Okay, I'm a DM and I would like to get feedback on how people use baddies in their game. I see there is a Personalities folder, and in that folder you can add a subfolder of bad guys, and that's how i was going to do it (just in case any of them wanted to talk or something). But i'm finding it not so nice of a system. Concerns i have:

1. You make a new Personality and name it what it actually is: Illithid 1. Well, when i click on the speech bubble, if the characters don't know what it is and I start speaking, well, they know what it is now. There is no "alias" for personalities that i think would be helpful ("slurping tentacle humanoid-looking creature).

2. When you put them into combat it isn't really an easy interface for creatures with lots of abilities and/or skills/feats. They get a sort of "Monster" entry with their BAB and their skills and things, but let's say you want to have an Illithid Monk 4/Sorc 5. All of those SA and SQ and spells and everything, I think i'd prefer a character sheet for that puppy. And I might use one, but then can the players load up the available characters and see all my baddies?

3. My solution for this of course is to do it the old fashioned way, having my P&P version of the baddy right here in front of me and just have a personality with his "alias" in the name field just so i can use him to talk. Further, if I DID fill out all his stats in the Personality sheet, you can't even really drag, say his attack into the chat window for quick access to his bonuses/saves/etc. You can't even really drop the dice+modifier into the spaces in his Personality sheet (like you can with the quickslot -- which btw i think is awesome). Sure I could load them into the quickslots, but then I could get confused if i had two or more baddies with class levels or templates or whatever.

I suppose I'd just like to hear how people deal with BBEGs, and even lesser so, just your minions or extraordinary creatures in FG.

Thanks!

Howdy,

I used to add most my bad guys into FGI but then got lazy and just started to wing them. If I needed a bad guy to make an attack at +12 I just put +12 into the mod box and rolled. Ref save +5? Same...

I might change that with FG II (at least for a while) and see how it goes. It does take a lot of work to add them.

For your issues:

1: You can try to change the Entry before you click the speach bubble and it should change the ID. i.e. make it 'Tall dark stranger' and not Illithid 1 and then speak.

2: Yeah, I don't like how FG does spells for bad guys. For some a character sheet would be better. I think now characters are tied to login names. You should be able to create a log in for yourself (NPC maybe) and create characters and players won't be able to see them. Unless they login as NPC... nothing to stop them from doing that I think.

3: you CAN drag and drop the attacks and damage from the lines of the Personalites page and it rolls dice for you now. I've tried it... it works. I think the same for saves but not 100% sure about that .

BTW, we do all our game by voice (Skype or TS) so I don't need the speach bubbles.

rv

Quote Originally Posted by greowhiste
    Okay, I'm a DM and I would like to get feedback on how people use baddies in their game. I see there is a Personalities folder, and in that folder you can add a subfolder of bad guys, and that's how i was going to do it (just in case any of them wanted to talk or something). But i'm finding it not so nice of a system. Concerns i have:

1. You make a new Personality and name it what it actually is: Illithid 1. Well, when i click on the speech bubble, if the characters don't know what it is and I start speaking, well, they know what it is now. There is no "alias" for personalities that i think would be helpful ("slurping tentacle humanoid-looking creature).
    Yes, for this reason I never use this feature. I use the /id Slurping Tentacle Creature command to generate ids. You can put anything in with the /id chat command ie /id Creature of Darkness, /id Skeleton Thing, /id Rotten Corpse, ect.

2. When you put them into combat it isn't really an easy interface for creatures with lots of abilities and/or skills/feats. They get a sort of "Monster" entry with their BAB and their skills and things, but let's say you want to have an Illithid Monk 4/Sorc 5. All of those SA and SQ and spells and everything, I think i'd prefer a character sheet for that puppy. And I might use one, but then can the players load up the available characters and see all my baddies?
    The players can see your bad guys if you make character sheets for your NPCs.

3. My solution for this of course is to do it the old fashioned way, having my P&P version of the baddy right here in front of me and just have a personality with his "alias" in the name field just so i can use him to talk. Further, if I DID fill out all his stats in the Personality sheet, you can't even really drag, say his attack into the chat window for quick access to his bonuses/saves/etc. You can't even really drop the dice+modifier into the spaces in his Personality sheet (like you can with the quickslot -- which btw i think is awesome). Sure I could load them into the quickslots, but then I could get confused if i had two or more baddies with class levels or templates or whatever.

I suppose I'd just like to hear how people deal with BBEGs, and even lesser so, just your minions or extraordinary creatures in FG.
    I don't like the FG format for compicated monsters, though overtime I have gotten use to it but I don't like the 3 page non stardard format. I will tell you one thing. I like the new D&D stat block format over FG's personalites. I personally never use the "items" book (though that may change with some of the FG2 improvements) because I have treasure in with the room keys. I have gotten so I will sometimes just cut and paste the new style stat blocks into an "item" entry or into the first page of the personality.

I cut and paste the stat blocks into items because it is fast and clear. The problem with this is you can't drag them onto the combat tracker. For very complicated NPC's I use the execellent NPC Designer which has an export to FG xml. I expect this to still be compadible to FG2.

What is this "NPC Designer"?

Thanks for the feedback. Managing monsters and baddies seems to be the messiest thing i see yet for FG in general. (the new dnd stat blocks are indeed nice)

Thanks for the feedback. Managing monsters and baddies seems to be the messiest thing i see yet for FG in general. (the new dnd stat blocks are indeed nice)
    Software that you can buy to create NPC's. Very well supported (at least it was... I've lost track of where the software is at these days).

As was said, you can create the NPC and then export into FG xml. You have to copy and paste it into your xml file though.

rv

NPC Designer is a very nifty piece of software that makes and equips NPCs and it will do as much or as little of it as you wish randomly. I really like this piece of software and really recommend it to any DM who is short of time and running mid to upper level. NPC Designer is at the end of its life cycle as the developer is currently working on the follow on program called Evolution.

Unfortunately at this time NPC Designer only exports to FG1. The xml for FG2 personalities is different. I have just asked the developer if he would do an export to FG2. You can check out the web site here and grab the demo if you wish.

Seems good what version of NPC designer do you suggest: silver or gold???

Euh.. never mind I just realized that there is just a 4$ difference... might as well buy the gold, I'll just wait to see if you get an answer on the FGII export support...

Yeah, the difference is so small I would get Gold. I just got a response on my post today and sent him sample personality xml. The developer, David Jones, is known for his support and it would not surprise me if something isn't done before the end of the week on the FG2 export.

This is great. thanks for the lead. eagerly awaiting an NPC Designer program for FGII.

Cool just let us know as soon as you get some news on this...

Thread Information