FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by mhossom View Post
    I have always hand waved components in my games, other than those that cost big time gold (~500+ gp). Thematically cool, tedious in practice to track components.
    It's always my goal to not get bogged down with minutiae when GMing. It kills the session.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltrym View Post
    It's always my goal to not get bogged down with minutiae when GMing. It kills the session.
    EXACTLY!! In fact, I almost always GM by the Rule of Cool (RoC). Even if it not in the rules, if it would be "cool", I allow it. i only get crunchy on the rules if a player is trying to abuse a rule in a way that would break my RoC.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mike
    Official Grey Beard
    1. I actually have a grey beard
    2. I have been playing RPGs since 1978.

Tracking components is only slightly more fun than managing strict encumbrance rules. Thats a joke they both annoy me...greatly.

So i use spell focus ...unless a component has specific gold value to it the focus covers it.

Encumbrance...just straight common sense...which is easy in fg because it tracks your inventory weigh.

I just go if your crap weighs less than your strength value says you can lift or drag...your good. Else you're not (half speed disadv on dex rolls)

There's my encumbrance rules.

My group is focus until it has a gp value also. It has been fun to see the players pick a new spell then go now I go but a 100 gp pearl. Then I go um the town you are in does not have a jewelry store. Rapidly flipping through the module. Actually it does not have any place that you could buy that in it. So now we get to have a fun side track adventure of them looking for a pearl that is worth at least 100 gp.

I have to admit I also find it funny that D&D puts a gp value to spell components. So if I find a swindler selling pearls and he sells me a 3 mm pearl for 100 gp does that really counts when I could by the same pearl from an honest vendor for 2 gp? If I have a 1000 gp pearl does it make the spell cast better in some way? Fun stuff to play with in your campaign.

I use the same rule. Back when I played AD&D in the 80s and 90s, we just ignored components, but I think the 5e rules on having a focus or a components bag makes a nice, easy going middle ground.

Amusingly, when I ran Lost Mine of Phandelver recently, one of the enemies HAD a 100gp pearl! So when the wizard leveled up, they could do identify.

always track, same as Tabletop

Quote Originally Posted by Granamere View Post
    My group is focus until it has a gp value also. It has been fun to see the players pick a new spell then go now I go but a 100 gp pearl. Then I go um the town you are in does not have a jewelry store. Rapidly flipping through the module. Actually it does not have any place that you could buy that in it. So now we get to have a fun side track adventure of them looking for a pearl that is worth at least 100 gp.

I have to admit I also find it funny that D&D puts a gp value to spell components. So if I find a swindler selling pearls and he sells me a 3 mm pearl for 100 gp does that really counts when I could by the same pearl from an honest vendor for 2 gp? If I have a 1000 gp pearl does it make the spell cast better in some way? Fun stuff to play with in your campaign.
    That could be fun. The merchant says "Hey I have some contraband components here."

These are the modules and extensions created and/or taken over by dellanx for PFRPG.

I had a lot of help and advice from many here at FG.

Thank You!

LOL Yes shop is having a going out of business sale so the 100 gp pearl is 20% off so you only pay 80 gp and it will not work for identify spell.

LOL Yes shop is having a going out of business sale so the 100 gp pearl is 20% off so you only pay 80 gp and it will not work for identify spell.
    exactly how it should be done

want to use the Holly and Mistletoe? well it's gone moldy, you didn't put it in a water proof pouch etc

My interpretation has always been that the price is just to give an indicator for the quality of the components. It doesn't matter what you actually paid for it.

Player finds a small pearl an sells it to the Wizard for 100 gp and suddenly it's a 100 gp pearl? Nope.
    You buy some cheap paper and ink and sell it for more to your Wizard, suddenly it fulfills the requirements to copy spells? Nope.

You could come across a 100 gp pearl, for free, for less than 100 gp because you haggled well or for more than 100 gp because the merchant is taking advantage of you... it is still just the "100 gp pearl".

Thread Information