5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Can't give control of NPCs to players

Hey all,

I'm the GM for a Pathfinder game and new to FGU from Roll20. I have a player that summons monsters regularly and watched a video tutorial about how to assign him control of NPC pawns, but it doesn't seem to be working. I am doing the following:

1. I add the NPC to the combat tracker and set them to 'ally' status.
    2. I drag the red dot from the NPC's combat tracker entry to the PC's portrait
    3. The NPC's character sheet pops up for both myself and the PC
    4. I then drag the NPC's token onto the map

These are the steps I saw in the video, but they don't seem to be working. The PC can interact with the NPC's sheet and can roll attacks, but cannot reposition the creature or assign targets for the creature. I can do those things, but I've got enough going on behind the screen that it'd be nice to let the PC do that himself. I've tried also dragging the token onto the map before dragging the red dot to the PC's portrait, but the results are the same. Can PCs no longer move NPCs or is this a bug? Or am I missing some crucial step?

For diagnostic context:
    • I and my PC are on the latest FGU build (July 7th update, I believe).
    • We're playing Pathfinder 1st edition.
    • If it matters, t happens whether dynamic LOS is on or not for a map.
    • It doesn't seem to matter if I use a map directly from FG or one I added to the client myself.
    • I've also tried assigning control of a different PC to the player for testing, with the same results.
    • I have a few extensions installed. I disabled them and noticed no change.
    • Lastly, I've noticed that on maps with dynamic LOS the player can't see from the NPC's position if the NPC is on the other side of a wall (same with the other PC I assigned to the player). I don't know if this is intended or not, but I can foresee an issue when the player summons a monster and sends it around a corner to attack things not in the player's LOS.

Any help would be appreciated, and if I can clarify at all I'm happy to do so! Thanks!

You'll need to switch on (or off - I can never remember which) Party vision and movement in options if you want the player to be able to control the NPC
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

That did the trick! Thank you Zacchaeus! I thought I had it working at one point but don't remember toggling that setting; I must be mistaken. Thanks again!

If you do want Party vision and movement OFF, then you need to make your NPC's PC's. Then have the player you want to control it Own it in Character Selection.

Hi thanks for this info got it all to work. The only problem I have now is when rolling for dmg it does not roll just uses the average number I tryed editing the start but still rolled the average. Is the a way to turn this off. Thanks.

There is an option in Options > Combat (GM) > NPC: Rolls (Fixed or Variable). Sounds like you have that set to Fixed.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Thank you that is what it was

Thread Information