STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    How big is the GMs db.xml file in the campaign directory?

Also, please collect the complete logs ("compile logs" button available in the console window) and post the ZIP file.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

db file is 1706kb
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rusty Kneecap; July 9th, 2020 at 18:26.

Yeah, if you're doing direct connections with the DM then it's not the SW cloud service.

I would be looking hard at your DM's network connection. In order of difficulty to diagnose and resolve.

1. automatic DDOS protection that the ISP is doing could explain it if they see the network traffic as an "attack". Some ISPs offer a way to disable it, some do not, sometimes you just have to call and complain. "My game keeps dropping out. I think it could be your DDOS protection stuff. Please turn it off"
    2. Misconfigured router. There's a lot of "go fast" configuration on aftermarket routers that make the connection less stable. Things like "Hardware Accelerated NAT" on TP-Link routers have given me trouble in the past and disabling it helped.
    3. router is running out of date firmware. If it's a BYOB router, get the latest firmware installed.
    4. Using wifi and there's issues talking to the base station - try using an ethernet cable directly to the router.
    5. the lines connecting the router to the internet (the copper wires if on ADSL, the cable if on cable network) are damaged and need replacing
    6. The ISP has a bad router on their network and has yet to notice

I finally diagnosed the issue causing the massive sharing lag. Ill put this here in case someone else comes across the same issue. It might help someone else to trouble shoot their problem. I started by setting up a new blank campaign and confirmed no lag. Then I went into the campaign moduledb folder and noticed one module db.xml file that has huge 103700 kb. All the other module db.xml files were less than 500 kb so I was pretty sure I had the culprit. It was the adventure path file that I was running. I saved a copy of that file someone where else. reopened the campaign, loaded the AP module and no lag. But now I had lost all my links and prep work. So I put the dodgy module back in and the campaign module db folder., reloaded the AP module - lag back. I started deleting links I hade and watching the file size. Nothing change much and after about half and hours work I found this little row boat token on a map. When i deleted it the campaign adventure path db.xml file jumped from 102700 kb to 700 kb and the lag instantly stopped. I kept a copy of the large file db.xml file and reloaded it. This time I just deleted the row boat the map and now I still have all my prep work done. No more lag, problem solved.

Good troubleshooting! Glad you found the issue and a way to fix it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Do you have of the original campaign folder with the large XML and rowboat token that you can share? I'd like to find out what made it grow so big with a single token.

Thanks,
    JPG

5e
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiqAf13y5wWwlk_9...r6DGd?e=8IZyK8
    See
    White Plume Mountain: Battle map: Dungeon - Part 1, problem token is a hammer i used for spiritual hammer
    Unknown Whom: Map -Circles Player, problem token - not sure, but could be spiritual hammer

Pathfinder
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiqAf13y5wWwllDD...J0mD1?e=IHwtgH
    See
    Module: Ruins of Azlant AP1
    Map: The Talmandor's Bounty. problem token - row boat

@Moon Wizard:

We had very similar issues with tonights session... though we have not yet found the problem token or item or map or whatever is causing the lag. It may be a totally different issue... but it had the exact same symptoms... so please keep us updated if you get a chance to look at the files Rusty posted above. Thanks!

We did not drop any tokens directly on to the map and I kept a close watch on the size of module db.xml file the whole time. It got up to 3-4000 kb in size, but for no apparent reason. Maybe the character tokens were interacting with LOS. When ever the module db.xml got above 100kb and FG auto saved, we would get not responding. Sometimes it would recover, sometimes I would have to just close FG and restart. The larger the db.xml file the less likely FG would recover.

Yeah, I think the large db.xml file is indicative of some sort of a looping data issue that probably overflows onto the network. (or may be caused by network looping) That's why I wanted to get a copy of the data to see if I can spot anything to give me an idea where to look.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information