DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Blog Entries
    Yes - its called Copyright Law.
    Copyright law prevents you from copying something that you dont have permission to do so.
    You do not need a statement that prohibits you from duplicating each and everything.
    That already exists.
    You need a statement granting permission to use material.
    Without permission to copy the default is you have no permission.

Ok, thanks, I was hoping in something more explicit from DMS Guild or SmiteWorks.

In the meantime, from DMS Guild they replied to my question:

If the Fantasy Grounds module you wish to use is published on the DMs Guild, then yes, you can use the contents in your own Fantasy Grounds title.
    If it is not, then no, you cannot use it.

Blog Entries
    None of the WoTC Core Books are published on the DMsGuild. This means that you cannot include the actual monsters from any WotC source book. You can include a link to it or you can include a SRD copy or you can create your own monster.

Ofc if SmiteWorks come out with an official response on this then go with their response.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    None of the WoTC Core Books are published on the DMsGuild. This means that you cannot include the actual monsters from any WotC source book. You can include a link to it or you can include a SRD copy or you can create your own monster.

Ofc if SmiteWorks come out with an official response on this then go with their response.
    Yes, sounds good. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/187..._0_0_0_45545_0
    There is the Monster Manual (by the old name) on the DMsGuild as an FG module. Others are there as well; https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?...ks%20USA%20LLC

I will say that their are numerous third party FG modules published on the Guild using the approach I detailed. BUT, that doesn't make me right and damned wrong.

I've sent an email to OBS and SmiteWorks asking for clarification on this.
    Last edited by LordEntrails; July 10th, 2020 at 02:07.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Well, on this point I was thinking:

If I can use a 5E creature in my PDF module, what stops me from use it in my FG module? I can literally make a copy of it on my own without importing it from any modules and that wouldn't break SmiteWorks copyright law, and it would be acceptable for DMS Guild if I sell the module on DMS Guild.

I'll wait for a reply from OBS and SmiteWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by DagBateway View Post
    Well, on this point I was thinking:

If I can use a 5E creature in my PDF module, what stops me from use it in my FG module? I can literally make a copy of it on my own without importing it from any modules and that wouldn't break SmiteWorks copyright law, and it would be acceptable for DMS Guild if I sell the module on DMS Guild.

I'll wait for a reply from OBS and SmiteWorks.
    Can and should are not always the same thing. Regardless of the answer from SmiteWorks, why wouldn't you just ask the author whose content you like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinRuneblade View Post
    Can and should are not always the same thing. Regardless of the answer from SmiteWorks, why wouldn't you just ask the author whose content you like?
    I don't think the question is in regards to third party content (which the standard already is to have a references/sources section when possible, see DMsG FAQ), but for WotC content. It's not reasonable to expect WotC to field dozens or hundred of requests every week for someone to include WotC stuff in their DMsG products. That's why their is the CCA in the first place.

For reference, here is the content of the current CCA (note, this is the legal contract DMsG authors agree to when they publish on the Guild. It grants rights different than the OGL, which is NOT used on the Guild, and means both party are ceding some of their copyrights.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Err on the side of caution is a good approach to take. Unless you see something that specifically says you can use X, it's better not to.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

When i write my own fg campaigns, though i don't sell them, i write them as if i will sell them. Im weird i know but there's also a lawyer in my family and many law enforcement lol.

I always put a "So these are the modules i used to create this" list. I then list them all out and what i use them for . On an ambitious campaign its a long list.

I also point to my original work as well. "These maps were made by me"..type of deal.

Thats how i protect myself. Even though i never sell my work. Just in case a player wants a copy of my campaign I'm covered legally.

Thread Information