5E Character Create Playlist

How to learn powers/spells/items/effects?

Hi again,

I am trying to learn how to code magic into items. I was about to buy some Rob2e modules, but I decided to hold myself and try to learn first, as if I have everything ready I will probably be to lazy to put the effort.
    So I went through DMGuild and found a free Rob module "Fantasy Grounds 5E Items Effects Coding - Rods" - and thought it was a good idea to take a look and see what I could learn from it. I can't quite understand what that does. It seems I can't copy a rod by just dragging and releasing the spell, what would be helpful so I could learn by making changes to something I know is right coded. Maybe that module is only for use with another another one?

So I have some questions:

1. How exactly do I create a rod of healing?

I know how to go to the actions tab and set up a new power or weapon. I am not exactly sure when to use one or the other, considering sometimes a weapon/armor has a spell power on it.

2. Would that be the same with a sword that may cast the heal spell?

3. How exactly do I use the above mentioned Rob's module?

I know I can just drag the spells it provides to my powers section, but than it just sits there - how can I actually cast it? Do I have to create another power or drag another spell with it? Do I have to create an effect for it?
    That makes me think what good is it for? I am not trying to diminish his work at all (all my respect) but if I have to actually create another effect why not create just the effect and just create an item with the name I want?
    I am not sure I am able to explain myself here, but it seems I am missing something.

4. Is there any guide to help me know what is what?

I have already read both the wiki about item creation and the possible coding ones. Still it's not clear for me what is what. Does every magic item need to have a power and an effect that must be created?

5. Is there any guide on how to learn how to code?

What I mean here is, I can take classes at FGC, I can watch videos on youtube, but I don't know what to watch and in what order. I would appreciate if I could take things step by step as long as I can figure out what steps I need to take, and that's what is not clear for me.

6. Is there any video or article where there is a compilation of the most basic magical items that may be created?

I mean probably everyone wants to create a magic potion, a +2 shield, or +1 to all abilities amulet, a ring of darkvision and so on so forth. Those basic more common items should be all put together in one video/article and explained how to create them so people can use them to learn how to create their own and give the first steps into the coding area. I know I learn more by copying and changing than just reading something with a more broader range of possibilities.

7. If you tell me how to code this powers and spells is there any other way to do it?

What I mean here is: whatever the answer you may give me, is that what Rob did? Or is it something more? I am trying to figure out what exactly he did and how far I can go over the years. I f I can learn to code a spell and create magic items and I decide to do it myself for every single piece of spell and magic item on the core books, so I would not have the need to buy his work because all he does is put up the work for those of us that prefer to just buy it ready to use?

8. Humbly, what I am trying to do is to use Rob's work as a base to learn, by taking a look at what he did and trying to replicate and do it myself. Sure It won't happen over night, and sure I don't have the same level of competence, but I do have the discipline to learn and the will, and I would be happy if I can achieve a basic level.

So how can you help me learn how to learn myself?
    Last edited by Wise Orc Tavern; July 8th, 2020 at 22:58.

These videos should answer your question https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Videos-for-5E

Note these show you how to create effects, not use Rob’s stuff which is completely different.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by MytosBR View Post
    3. How exactly do I use the above mentioned Rob's module?

I know I can just drag the spells it provides to my powers section, but than it just sits there - how can I actually cast it? Do I have to create another power or drag another spell with it? Do I have to create an effect for it?
    That makes me think what good is it for? I am not trying to diminish his work at all (all my respect) but if I have to actually create another effect why not create just the effect and just create an item with the name I want?
    I am not sure I am able to explain myself here, but it seems I am missing something.
    Rob's different products (he has many not just the one) essentially do the work for you so you don't have to do anything. If you want to learn from them, then you apply them to one character's action tab and look at how it is worded. Play with it, change things and see what happens. Especially look on the wiki page to see what other options are out there.

For example, in his class effects product the effect for barbarian rage has the damage set to 2 in melee only. What if I want to homebrew a barbarian whose rage uses a die instead of a fixed bonus? I check on the wiki and sure enough the table mentions that the DMG property accepts dice. So then I go into the effect Rob created and change it to d4 or d6 or whatever. Then I apply it and see if it still works. Yes it does. Or I can experiment with adding the character's intelligence bonus to damage instead of 2, or resistance to fire instead of slashing, or change !magic to !silver and I have an effect that instead of barbarian rage is useful for a werewolf.

Also, look at some of the extra ideas he had. For example, in that same product there are items. Unarmed Strike. That's how he does punching for a monk. He made it into a weapon you can stick into your inventory. You can do it another way, by making it an action or power on your power tab. You can also take the unarmed strike and rename it "bite" and change it to d6 piercing and now you can use it for a lizardman's racial bonus.

Play around with things. Look at ways you want to change something and use the options on the wiki, the advice in the videos Zacchaeus linked, and the ideas that Rob put into his product to see if you can make it work the way you want. And if you get stuck, ask us questions or go to the people on the college and ask them. We will help!

Zacchaeus has some excellent videos on how to create and implement effects....Rob does as well on his YouTube channel. You can also get some based effects and work thru them to figure out how they work....Rob has his Effects Mod which adds effects to your effects tab in FG and those help with getting to know some of the basics on how it all works....Rob basically, if I understand it right, read the wiki page to get a good handle on it and then created tons of effects for a large area of items within FG.

The videos is what helped me the most....had to watch them a few times to get it to sink in....but it is better if I understand it for myself....good luck

Thread Information