STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by similarly View Post
    To be fair, marketing is all about spreading the word quickly. Social media is a great way to reach many people very quickly. Instead of a chain of contact (I contact my friend, they contact their friend), you have a net of contact (I contact all of my friends, who contact all of their friends) and you have an extremely rapid exponential growth of communication.

It would be foolish for a marketing team not to take advantage of it.
    There's nothing in the laws of marketing that says it has to be "Either/or". It just plain lazinesss.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanis View Post
    There's nothing in the laws of marketing that says it has to be "Either/or". It just plain lazinesss.
    What do you recommend FG's marketing team do? Allow everyone to participate in the sweepstakes whether they use social media or not? Nice for everybody who gets a chance to win, but that doesn't meet FG's goal of getting social media recognition.

Basically, it's a lottery. The price of the ticket is crowd-marketing. The point of a lottery isn't to give away money: it's to raise money through ticket sales. Likewise, the point of the sweepstakes isn't to give away free copies of FG. It's to get people to use their connections to bring more people to FG and get more sales for the company. Allowing people to enter the sweepstakes without furthering the ultimate goal of that sweepstakes takes away the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by similarly View Post
    What do you recommend FG's marketing team do? Allow everyone to participate in the sweepstakes whether they use social media or not? Nice for everybody who gets a chance to win, but that doesn't meet FG's goal of getting social media recognition.
    Why so? Opening it for the rest of the community breaks facebook or twitter or somethiing like that? Why do you think it has to be BINARY?
    I'm part of the community, you know? Why do I have to be excluded for you to be happy?
    If feels the same way as with Communications providers, they don't care for you until you are on your way out.
    And they basically do the same, trading your so-called "marketing success" at the cost of a PR blunder of having people like me upset

I'm sorry you feel that way, and further sorry that I'm not making my point clearly.

Blog Entries
    Try and think of it this way, what is the benefit to SmiteWorks running this sweepstakes?

The benefit & purpose of this sweepstakes is to increase FG's user base, to increase brand recognition, and to increase sales.

How do they achieve this? One way is to use social media, that tracks impressions and link referrals, to have the user base spread the word about FG. This basically replies upon those who enter the sweepestakes doing so by creating their own little commercial. Each Tweet/post/etc is a small commercial from a trusted source (the user) to a small audience (their social links). I think that's pretty obvious so I will leave it there, but ask if anyone doesn't get what I'm trying to say.

Allowing someone to enter the sweepstakes without that person advertising for FG does not bring any benefit to SW. It simple dilutes the pool of participants from those who advertise for FG, with those people who already recognize FG but aren't going to advertise or spread brand recognition.

All that said, to enter the sweepstakes has a cost (like with most such 'giveaways'). That cost is a social media account and making your own 'commercial' for FG.

If the ability to enter sweepstakes like this, then you can create a social media account AND not give up any privacy. If you take appropriate measures, and only use social media in conscientious ways, you can completely maintain your online privacy. i.e. don't give the application default permissions, and don't use it like a teenager

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Try and think of it this way, what is the benefit to SmiteWorks running this sweepstakes?
    If the ability to enter sweepstakes like this, then you can create a social media account AND not give up any privacy. If you take appropriate measures, and only use social media in conscientious ways, you can completely maintain your online privacy.
    Forget that notion, that's not possible, but more importantly, my bussiness is with Smiteworks, I shouldn't be forced to give up my privacy to a third party to take part on some promotional action.
    I understand perfectly the motivation, you launch a campaign in the social an let the work do itself. Sorry, but it doesn't take much to allow the forum users to participate, anything else is simply laziness.

P.S. I care nothing about the sweepstakes, i already own everything. It's the feeling of being part of the community and absurdily being excluded for not using some questionable 3rd party social media thing

It's not a free giveaway with everyone out there standing a chance to win. As has been said many times in this thread, the reward for posting about FG on social media is to be entered into the sweapstake.

It's got nothing to do with excluding people from the community or being lazy - it's a specific marketing campaign and the carrot to get people to participate is to get entry into the sweapstakes. If you don't want to satisfy the entry requirements then you're not in the draw. Choose to participate, or don't - your choice.

I'm closing this thread now, it's run its course. If anyone is truly aggrieved, and don't follow reasoning presented in this thread, then please email [email protected] and air your concerns directly with SmiteWorks.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information