Starfinder Playlist

Pre Populating Dungeons - Is this possible?

It seems you have to have every NPC token you place in a dungeon in the combat tracker already, is this the case? If it is, I'd love to be able to setup all these dungeons before game time so I can just flow through encounters and gameplay without a combat tracker full of a myriad of NPCs.

As far as I know it is recommended practice is to put the NPCs into encounters. That way you can add them to the combat tracker without NPCs cluttering it up.

Blog Entries
    No.

Consider creating your content in a 'Development' campaign. See Adventure Module Creation link in my signature.

In short start with a map.
    Make a story for each room/location. Pin that story to the map by dragging it onto the map.
    Populate that story with a description and other info. Include an Encounter with the NPCs on the story. That Encounter should include map pre-placement of tokens (see Encounters in the wiki for details). Include treasure Parcels and any other links you want. Close the encounters once the tokens are placed.
    If you used a development campaign, export to a module, open the module in your play campaign.

When it comes time to add a set of NPCs to the Combat Tracker and Map, open the encounter, use the place icon to automatically add NPCs to CT and map.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It's actually pretty funny, I just recently learned you can drag the token from the encounter to its map position so it will auto place the encounter on the map when needed. I've just been happily putting the tokens on the map manually without really thinking about it. It is an example of moving from minis to tokens, you just put the mini on the map when they open the door. This is much faster. Another lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    It's actually pretty funny, I just recently learned you can drag the token from the encounter to its map position so it will auto place the encounter on the map when needed. I've just been happily putting the tokens on the map manually without really thinking about it. It is an example of moving from minis to tokens, you just put the mini on the map when they open the door. This is much faster. Another lesson learned.
    This is what I need! Let me see if I can figure that out.

I was using them, but I thought they just tracked exp and tokens, not the locations on the map.

So I tested this and it indeed works. The issue I have is, when you close the encounter it stops showing where the tokens are. That's fine. But when I open the encounter again, it'd be nice if it'd show the tokens on the maps you have open.

To see where I put them I have to add them to Combat tracker, or unplace them and replace them again.

Quote Originally Posted by RevenantBob View Post
    The issue I have is, when you close the encounter it stops showing where the tokens are.
    I am not sure what you mean here.
    Neither does Closing the Encounter Windows effect the Tokens, nor does the Closing of the Map.

So, what do you mean with 'Closing the Encounter' than?
    DnD 5e - Dungeon Crawl Classic - Savage World - DSA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RevenantBob View Post
    So I tested this and it indeed works. The issue I have is, when you close the encounter it stops showing where the tokens are. That's fine. But when I open the encounter again, it'd be nice if it'd show the tokens on the maps you have open.

To see where I put them I have to add them to Combat tracker, or unplace them and replace them again.
    This is how it works yes.
    Unfortunately for the way you are hoping to use the tool can cause performance and management issues in FG.
    What I do is pin the encounter to the map and also link it in the story.
    When the PCs are about to enter a location I check the pins and see an Encounter and i can easily see how many enemies etc are in the Encounter. I cant however see exactly where they are placed.
    When you add it to the CT by default they are hidden from players so you can move them before revealing them.
    In some large battles I may only reveal half of the tokens initially and then reveal more as the battle wears on - either reinforcements entering or sneaky monsters waiting for the best opportunity (and for the fireballs to have been cast).

Thread Information