DICE PACKS BUNDLE

LFG RP Narrative heavy, Character/Story driven - any system - almost any time zone

I'm 42, been playing RPGs since i was a kid. Mostly experienced with D&D but also some Heros Unlimited, FFG Star wars and MT2 Traveller but I'm up for anything that isn't just one meaningless combat after another. Don't get me wrong I love combat, especially when it is tactically challenging. I just want the rest of the world to not just be hand waved away.

I'm looking for a game with character development and epic story arch are the main focus of the game. I want to avoid PCs who are self-insert vanity puppets, with lazy cliche backstories, one-dimensional personalities and no flaws. I can't play with a PC that is a half-angel half-demon, covered in belts and full of angst, or yet another dwarf who's defining trait is bearded alcoholic who likes to fight! That isn't a person, its a cartoon caricature. I only bring this up because so many GMs are going overboard with the all inclusive "there's no wrong way to play" that they they forget that it can hurt the game for everyone around them.

I like settings that are gritty and realistic. The existence of magic doesn't mean superstitious peasants are suddenly going to be ok with a demon spawn or a Drow walking through town without an angry mob with pitchforks and torches forming. I can't take the setting seriously if common sense is just thrown out the window.

My ideal GM cares about logical consistency and is true to the rules they have decided on, book or house. I have mixed feelings on the rule of cool. Generally I like it but there is a fine line between cool and ok I guess we live in a cartoon now. I am vehemently opposed to fudging dice rolls for any reason. I would rather my character die a meaningless boring death than be coddled or my decisions not actually make any difference. I'm not interested in the illusion of choice if a choice doesn't actually exist. If there are two paths and they both lead to the same experience then I'd rather just be narratively railroaded, at least it's not an insult to my intelligence.

I have a very flexible schedule, and generally can play with any time zones apart from European ones. I am very reliable, as this is my primary hobby and I plan around it because it affects other players if I don't show up.

Hey. Not sure if you use Classic or Unity but I posted a few days ago Here. I agree with what you said about there is no wrong way to play the game haha. I also see your in NZ so not sure about your timezone I am EST US. Check it out and if interested let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridiric View Post
    Hey. Not sure if you use Classic or Unity but I posted a few days ago Here. I agree with what you said about there is no wrong way to play the game haha. I also see your in NZ so not sure about your timezone I am EST US. Check it out and if interested let me know.
    sent contact you on discord to discuss. I can make your game time and I have a full license for classic and Unity although I haven't really used Unity yet

I'm currently running a game in D&D5E that's been going on for about a year now. Everyone started at level 1, they're between level 9-11 now and the goal of the game for me was to make a series of campaigns that will take characters from level 1 all the way up to level 20 and a bit beyond; from young adventurers getting just starting out to geo-political powerhouses who build strongholds, found orders and shape the course of the world for ages to come.

So far so good. We're almost, but not quite at the point in the game where the players are beginning to transition from being wandering adventurers to being authorities and leaders in their on right on a geopolitical scale.

The campaigns and adventures are 100% homebrewed, and the setting is Forgotten Realms. We've been meeting every Friday from around 7-10 EST. It's a very RP oriented game but when we do have combat we use battle maps and take the tactical approach over a theater of the mind approach. If you're interested you're more than welcome to view a game session with us and see if it seems like something you'd be interested in.

Thread Information