5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

LFP (new GM) 5e Homebrew Sunday Afternoons PDT/GMT-7 (RP-focus)

*I currently have sufficient players expressing interest, though not all are fully on deck. Further interest will queue onto a waiting list in the event that players fall through.

FG License: Ultimate.
    Game System: D&D 5th Edition

Time Zone: PST
    Day of week and time: Weekly. Sun ~3pm PDT/GMT-7 (please show ~5m early for updates/login)
    Planned Duration: 3-5 hours including roughly a half hour intermission.
    If new game, planned start date: Session Zero once we get a group together.
    Term: Long-term… ideally.

Text or Voice: Voice.
    Voice software used: Discord.
    Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? Nah.

Roleplay & Combat mix: 70/30 ish. Murder hobos/disruptive players need not apply.
    Number of Players: 5 to start.
    Character starting level & equipment: Level 2. Standard starting equipment.
    Character restrictions: No bonus feat on Human-Variant. No Artillery Artificer. Aarakocra. That’s all that comes to mind, but there might be things I’m not familiar with I’d like to veto. If you have questions or special requests talk to me, or we’ll figure it out session zero.

Details of your scenario: Homebrew world, deities, etc. Mid-magic setting. Milestone Leveling. Periods of downtime to allow players to pursue their own goals. More information will be posted on my Discord.

Personal Experience
    As a player: I’ve played Dungeons and Dragons on and off for roughly six years. I’ve played in Fantasy Grounds in a few different campaigns, and feel pretty comfortable with it as a player.

GMing (tabletop or FG) is a new experience for me. I would especially like to get some players experienced in GMing in Fantasy Grounds to answer questions I might have to help keep things moving along.

Game Expectations
    Please be patient and understanding as I figure out how to manage a homebrew campaign and how to use Fantasy Grounds while doing so. Expect a focus on roleplaying and narrative, extending even to combat. I find combat rather boring without being able to paint a picture in my mind. Expect combat to have a narrative, and please feel comfortable describing your character’s actions on your turn. I’m likely to ask “how” you attack, not just “who.” I do greatly appreciate humor, but I also appreciate serious roleplay, and I will endeavor to find room for both.

Most importantly, be respectful. To myself, and to each other. Be comfortable sharing the spotlight (or fake it until you make it) and check out-of-game intolerance at the door. As GM I take responsibility for managing the group very seriously. That may, on occasion, require me to tell someone they are not a good fit for our group - but, hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

Language
    I am not easily offended by mature language, but I insist we try to keep it to small doses. Even in-character, use your best judgement to try to keep it appropriate.

Disruptive Play
    I’ll attempt to perceive actions in good faith, but if you’re not able to sensibly justify the motivations behind derailing actions you’re not respecting the expectations I’ve set. I doubt it will be a problem in a roleplay-emphasizing RP, but, for the sake of clarity all actions have consequences, particularly deviant ones (within reason - if you have questions, ask). As GM I reserve the right to harness my almighty powers to veto any rogue attempts to senselessly repurpose the narrative.

Roleplaying Emphasis
    Roleplaying is one of my favorite aspects of D&D. I expect players to want to roleplay with NPC’s and with each other, and enjoy seeing a party bond steadily as the campaign progresses. Character backstories will be important as I intend to interact with them throughout the campaign. Given my homebrew setting I’m ready to work with you and answer any questions about the lore/world you may have.

Mature Content
    There will be various forms of mature content, but I’ll always try to be tasteful and not overly graphic. For this reason all players must be over the age of 18.

As an example, I might invoke violence when a monster hunting contract requires a severed griffon head to claim a bounty. However, I find a humanoid assassination contract asking for the same thing to typically be in bad taste. If you have any particular concerns, please ask me before you sign up. Otherwise you’ll have to trust my discretion. If something unexpected comes up later, I’m all for having a conversation about boundaries to see if we can find some common ground.

Communication (Use Discord)
    I will do my best to warn my players of cancelled game sessions as soon as possible. In return I expect the same courtesy from my players when they know they’ll be unable to make a game session. Please post expected absences in Discord when you can, if you can. Ongoing trends of absences without warning will be grounds for removal.

Should anyone desire to leave the game, please let me know. I understand there are many reasons that may lead to making such a decision, and should you need to leave you owe me no explanation. That said I certainly would like some warning so I might prepare the campaign and begin the process of recruiting a replacement player.

Personal Information
    I don’t like to share more personal information than is necessary. I’m not going to ask about your general location, your profession, or your age (other than confirmation that we’re all at least 18+). I’d doubly appreciate it if you could avoid such inquiries, but if something occasionally slips out I’ll try to evade the question politely.

Application Process
    I will be giving priority to individuals who privately message me (with their discord info), rather than those who respond to this post. Be prepared to give me your Discord information so we might meet for an interview. There, I’d like to inquire about what you’re looking for to ensure we’re both interested in the same kind of game. I’d also be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Players with GM Experience
    If you have experience GMing in Fantasy Grounds and would be able to help coach me as we go, that would be especially valuable to me. I would really like two such individuals on the roster to try to keep the experience relatively smooth. Questions I may have during a session: How do I add this image to the database? How do I fix the grid on the map? How do I make a new magic item? What is the code for Resistance to Fire? I can find these answers myself, but being able to handle things quickly without breaking the flow of the game is always preferable.

Session Zero
    Once I’ve invited you to the Discord channel, I hope you’ll introduce yourself to the rest of the group. Once we have enough players, I’ll want to meet at our standard scheduled time for a session zero (I may call for two of these, depending). There, we will begin to create our characters and discuss different aspects of the setting. At some point I’d like to review everyone’s backstory and talk to each player about how they transitioned from the backstory to the campaign. I may also want to do some brief roleplaying 1-on-1 with each character during session zero or afterward, but don’t hold me to that. If this particularly interests you though, let me know.

In session zero, I would like to run some trial combat so I might familiarize myself with GMing Fantasy Ground combat. Those who finish their character sheets early can help me with this while others continue to work on their characters.

Homebrew Extras
    I have a homebrew world, deities, list of subraces, race/class bonuses, resurrection rules, etc. I’m still working on organizing this information, and I reserve the right to change these rules as we go. Expect to find this on Discord for you to digest on your own time and/or during our first session zero as you like.

That should do it! Kudos to anyone who read through all that, and wherever you game, may the dice gods be with you.
    Last edited by Benevolent; July 8th, 2020 at 23:56.

Thread Information