5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

How to make sure player use alias?

Hi, I've been running a game for people that play together for around 25 years. At first I found easier to just hand my IP, but now I want to change to using alias and password. How can I force a change in the IP so any lazy player still trying to connect via IP will fail?

Will that require a new Port Forward?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Wise Orc Tavern; July 5th, 2020 at 02:13.

Good Day MytosBR
    I do not know if or how to change your IP, but you should be able to put a password on your game and only hand it out to current players.

Blog Entries
    Why do you care if a player is lazy and uses your IP instead of the alias? Even if they use an alias they can still determine your IP address if they are at all savvy.

If you still insist on it, you can try cycling the power on your modem. Maybe that will do it, but probably not. Your IP address is assigned by your ISP's computers. You could also turn off your modem for 24 hours, or maybe 72 hours, and then your ISP's computers will might give you a new IP address. But then again, it might not. You could call your ISP and ask them to change your IP.

And no, port forwarding won't do anything, since it is your public IP address that players are using to connect.
    Last edited by LordEntrails; July 5th, 2020 at 02:26. Reason: removed easily misunderstood sentence.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I don't really care. It's just that I just learned how to use the alias watching a FGCollege class and I wondered why the hell didn't I do that before. Also we are so used to each other that any minor changes are quickly dismissed. I have to put a lot of effort to innovate. I bought FG around 10 years ago and only about a year ago I broke the resistance.

The reason I asked about Port Forwarding is not because I thought it would help me with that, on the contrary. If that would trigger another Port Forward on my part I would give up immediately, since every time I need to do it it takes way too long. If I wouldn't do that you can imagine neither I would call ISP - no way I woul deal with half an hour of automated robots answers. Too much trouble for no real purpose. Guess I am a little OCD on that - I like to put to use everything I am learning in FGC.

The password is more than enough.

Blog Entries
    Password is all you need to keep out strangers. What the alias does is when you start a game with an alias, it reaches out to the FG Servers, it registers your alias with your IP address. Then when a player enters an alias, FG calls out to the FG servers, asks it what the corresponding IP is and then gives the IP address to the player.

So it's not a security measure, it's a convenience tool since it's usually easier to remember then an IP address.

Keep learning, Keep growing

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information