DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 10 of 22 First ... 8910111220 ... Last
    Not sure how to zip up the campaign and send it so copying out the debug log:

[2/22/2022 1:34:44 AM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'couldn't find size... using default'

[2/22/2022 1:34:44 AM] s'Extension Debug:' | #3 | s' found for size category'

[2/22/2022 1:34:44 AM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'Base Speed Phase' | #2 | s'Movement Rate Modifier' | #1 | s'Encumbrance Modifier' | #0

[2/22/2022 1:34:44 AM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'Weapon Speed Factor' | #0

[2/22/2022 1:34:44 AM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'Weapon Phase' | #1

[2/22/2022 1:34:45 AM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'msgOOB sent' | { s'type' = s'applyinit', s'sSourceNode' = s'charsheet.id-00005', s'sSourceType' = s'pc', s'sIsAdditionalAttack' = s'0', s'nTotal' = #7 }

[2/22/2022 1:34:45 AM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'msgOOB received' | { s'type' = s'applyinit', s'sSourceNode' = s'charsheet.id-00005', s'sSourceType' = s'pc', s'sIsAdditionalAttack' = s'0', s'nTotal' = s'7' }

[2/22/2022 1:34:45 AM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'bIsAdditionalAttack' | bFALSE

In chat it says their Base speed is Average (which is weird since I haven't made them *not* medium) and their Weapon Speed is Very Fast (its a speed 0 attack since its a natural weapon)

Let me break down what I'm seeing in that log.

1. It can't find the weapon size. I'm guessing the weapon has an uncommon name. You said it's a natural weapon so "fist" or "claw" or "bite" or whatever would make sense that it's not matching a PHB weapon. It looks like I'll need to add some code that lets you specify the weapon size in the item's properties for this kind of case. As a result of not finding the weapon size, it defaults to medium size. I don't think this affects initiative, but could affect crits.

2. It found "medium" for the size of the combatant.

3. It's using a base speed of "fast" for the combatant because of their medium size. However, it's adjusting their speed down by 1 phase because their movement speed is less than or equal to 6 (for instance, a medium-sized dwarf that is size medium is effectively a base speed of average rather than fast like a human would be, because they have a move speed of 6 instead of 12).

4. It's correctly detecting the weapon speed of 0 and considering that to be a very fast weapon.

So at the end of all that, it checks which is slower... the weapon phase (very fast) or the "character" phase (average). It ends up with Average.

So at this point the main thing I'd look at is what the creature's movement rate is. If it's something slow moving like a dwarf (and you're using size M for a dwarf instead of size S), things are probably working correctly. If it's not, maybe the code is messing up trying to read what the movement rate is. It looks like I don't even try to determine the speed of a NPC/monster (mainly because I didn't think a string like "12", sw 6, Fly 24 A" or whatever would really be parseable, and I (theoretically) just ignore modifying speed by movement rate for NPCs so that the size + movement speed calculation can be sidestepped when needed.

Based on all this that I'm seeing, I'm guessing we're looking at a low movement rate PC who is medium size? If so, things are actually working correctly, at least as far as that "average" initiative goes. Page 18 of the C&T book is where the rule is about movement speed affect initiative phase. What kind of character was this for?

It does look like I need to add the means to specify weapon size for crit purposes, though. Right now it just tries to determine it based on a list of weapons from the PHB, and given that you said this is a natural weapon, I'm guessing this doesn't match to anything and is going to end up being treated (rightly or wrongly) as a medium weapon for crit purposes (if you're even using the crit option).

Also looks like I could theoretically try to add some movement speed parsing for NPCs, or probably better yet, an attribute someone can add which explicitly specifies what their "base speed" should be.
    Last edited by Sterno; February 22nd, 2022 at 13:09.

Ah, thats exactly it! It was movement speed! I'd homebrewed some races off of the standard ones and I'd use Dwarf as a basis for this one and left the speed as 6 when I'd intended they should be medium and move 12. I'd corrected the former but not the latter. It now works as intended!

How does one edit the weapon size though? It works in this case, but I guess I'm uncertain of how to apply it in future.
    Last edited by TheButterdragon; February 22nd, 2022 at 18:29.

Quote Originally Posted by TheButterdragon View Post
    How does one edit the weapon size though? It works in this case, but I guess I'm uncertain of how to apply it in future.
    Looked into it more, and it looks like I did have a way of allowing people to specify it. It looks for the string "size: x" anywhere in the properties window of the item or attack, where "x" is T, S, M, L, H, or G. Or you can spell the word out. So for instance, both "size: tiny" and "size: T" are valid.

I am seeing a variety of errors popping up since I updated today, but I didn't see anything in the 03/01/2022 update that touched 2e?

Create or delete character: ActorManager.getActor - DEPRECATED - 2021-01-01 - Contact forge/extension author

Attack and Miss (Does not occur on a hit): ActorManager.getType - DEPRECATED - 2021-01-01 - Contact forge/extension author

Part of my Console Log is below. There were some errors that were popping up while I was trying to troubleshoot the source, but I haven't been able to replicate them. Mostly, I am trying to determine if these errors are just waiting on an update from you after the FGU update or if it is something on my end. The size bit seems related to the posts above. I tried to update the weapon size, but this did not resolve the text popping up.

[3/3/2022 1:01:48 PM] s'ActorManager.getType - DEPRECATED - 2021-01-01 - Use getRecordType/isPC'
    [3/3/2022 1:01:48 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'nodeDefender' | databasenode = { combattracker.list.id-00003 }
    [3/3/2022 1:01:56 PM] s'ActorManager.getType - DEPRECATED - 2021-01-01 - Use getRecordType/isPC'
    [3/3/2022 1:01:56 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'nodeDefender' | databasenode = { combattracker.list.id-00003 }
    [3/3/2022 1:02:02 PM] s'ActorManager.getType - DEPRECATED - 2021-01-01 - Use getRecordType/isPC'
    [3/3/2022 1:02:02 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'nodeDefender' | databasenode = { combattracker.list.id-00003 }
    [3/3/2022 1:02:02 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'couldn't find size... using default'
    [3/3/2022 1:02:02 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | #3 | s' found for size category'
    [3/3/2022 1:02:02 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | #3 | s' found for size category'
    [3/3/2022 1:02:10 PM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_action_damage_po.lua"]:287: attempt to compare number with nil
    [3/3/2022 1:02:21 PM] s'ActorManager.getType - DEPRECATED - 2021-01-01 - Use getRecordType/isPC'
    [3/3/2022 1:02:21 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'nodeDefender' | databasenode = { combattracker.list.id-00003 }
    [3/3/2022 1:02:21 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'couldn't find size... using default'
    [3/3/2022 1:02:21 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | #3 | s' found for size category'
    [3/3/2022 1:02:21 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | #3 | s' found for size category'
    [3/3/2022 1:02:32 PM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_action_damage_po.lua"]:287: attempt to compare number with nil
    [3/3/2022 1:03:19 PM] s'ActorManager.getType - DEPRECATED - 2021-01-01 - Use getRecordType/isPC'
    [3/3/2022 1:03:19 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'nodeDefender' | databasenode = { combattracker.list.id-00003 }
    [3/3/2022 1:03:19 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | s'couldn't find size... using default'
    [3/3/2022 1:03:19 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | #3 | s' found for size category'
    [3/3/2022 1:03:19 PM] s'Extension Debug:' | #3 | s' found for size category'
    [3/3/2022 1:03:23 PM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_action_damage_po.lua"]:287: attempt to compare number with nil

Looks like the update broke something. Thanks for letting me know. I'll try to get a fix out tonight or tomorrow.

Just so you know, the size stuff is just debug messages and not actual errors. Looks like something about the way # of damage dice is determined got broken by the update, though.

Update: Actually, can you describe to me what you're doing when you actually see the ERROR message? I'm unable to reproduce that.

The "Deprecated" messages are annoying and I'll change the code so they go away (which is why they're annoying, I'm sure), but those aren't actually causing errors. They're just a spammy prompt to get us lazy devs to update our extensions to call some different methods instead. The error you are seeing though isn't happening for me when I test and I'm not sure it's actually caused by the update.
    Last edited by Sterno; March 3rd, 2022 at 22:15.

What am I doing? Probably too much.

So, I will try to differentiate between the ERRORS and MESSAGES.

ERRORS: When I was getting Errors (console log popping up with red text) during my troubleshooting, I ended up disabling some other extensions and then clearing the log so that I could see what was actually popping up. After removing two other problem extensions I have not been able to recreate those errors. I don't think the errors had anything to do with this extension.

MESSAGES: only occur when I create or delete a character or attack a PC or NPC. But it sounds like they are mostly just making me paranoid.

For what it's worth, the errors you saw were definitely related at least in some way to the extension, since it lists file names unique to my extension in the error. But it could be that the interaction with those other extensions is what caused the problem (for instance, one of the other extensions changing/overwriting some code that I expected to work a certain way when I call it).

The DEPRECATED messages are definitely something I'll fix soon, as not only is the spam annoying, but MoonWizard indicated those deprecated methods will be going away soon, which will turn those from annoying messages into complete failure.

Let me know if you see the errors pop up again. It could still be some corner case with the way a specific weapon is set up or something.

I'm getting the deprecated thing but I also can't memorise all my cleric spells, I'm not sure if its connected. Prior to the update, my mage/cleric could memorise all 3 of her cleric spells, now she can only memorise 2.

Quote Originally Posted by TheButterdragon View Post
    I'm getting the deprecated thing but I also can't memorise all my cleric spells, I'm not sure if its connected. Prior to the update, my mage/cleric could memorise all 3 of her cleric spells, now she can only memorise 2.
    I'm not sure my extension would have any effect on that, as I don't touch that area of the code at all. Sometimes those checkmarks get in a weird state though for whether or not it thinks you have things memorized. I have to fix it for my players a lot (though again, that's not related to the extension). I might actually add an extension option to disable those memorization limits so people can just handle it themselves without constraint.

I've got a fix for the deprecated warnings done locally and will be giving it a thorough test in my game tonight. If there are no problems, I'll get it pushed Monday morning.

Thread Information