DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... Last

Extension: Player’s Option crits, weapon vs armor to-hit automation, and more!

Update: With the creation of the Fantasy Ground Forge, I've moved distribution of this extension there. Click this link to get the latest version. The attachment in this thread is the version that was out at the time FGC stopped updating, so that FGC users can still use an older, compatible version of this extension, whereas the one on Forge might grow to the point where it no longer works on FGC.

Forge page: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/78/view

This post got too long, as the extension grew considerably since the original post. You'll have to look through the thread as various features were added or check out the ReadMe on Github (linked below, but slightly out of date). Until I update the readme, you sadly need to read through this whole thread to see how things work, since I described new features as they were added. I hang out in the #dnd_classic_2e channel on the FG Discord if you have questions.

I've created an extension for the 2E ruleset that adds the critical hits from Player's Option: Combat & Tactics, adds some additional automation for basic 2E rules (such as to-hit modifiers for weapon type vs armor), and also adds some house rules that are similar to rules seen in Hackmaster. Almost everything in this mod is toggleable.

The code is all freely available at Github, and there is a readme file there which goes into much more detail than I can on these forum due to a character limit: https://github.com/drplote/FG-2e-PlayersOption
    If you plan to use this extension, taking a look at that readme is well worth it (though it's slightly out of date and missing a few of the newer features).

A brief overview of what's currently implemented:

Note: There's actually quite a bit more than listed in this post (such as many new effect types). Checked the ReadMe on Github for all the features: https://github.com/drplote/FG-2e-PlayersOption

Again, as a reminder, you can pick and choose what you want to use from this extension by toggling any option to "off".

"Always On" features
    • Added a radial menu to the player's Action tab attack button, that allows for quickly added modifiers like rear attacks, called shots, cheater dice (always 1 or 20), etc.
    • Added a radial menu to the Delay button the player action tab that allows for specific delay of 1-10 segments.
    • Added "Act" and "Done" buttons to the top of the player Action tab that allows them to move their init to the next segment or signify that their turn is done.
    • Added a radial menu to the GM Combat Tracker NPC weapons that allow the same as above.
    • Added a radial menu to the GM Combat Tracker actor list (the part on the left) that allows you to change their initiative (set to 1 or 10, delay, etc) or add/remove common effects (stunned, prone, etc)
    • Added an "Items" section to the Encounter record so you can spawn specific items on a creature. Pairs well with the "Adjust NPC AC for Items and Abilities" option.
    • A bunch of new effects, most of which tie in to the option systems, but a few like DMGDX which are general purpose.
    • Added some radial menu options to the CT actor that allow you to quickly add effects for some common light source types and vision types, or remove all light sources.

Player's Option Rules
    • Combat & Tactics Critical Hits - Implements the critical hits system from the 2E Combat & Tactics book, complete with damage type vs creature type, and severities based on weapon size and creature size.
    • Combat & Tactics Initiative - Implements the phased initiative system from the 2E Combat & Tactics book.

Additional Automation
    • Adjust NPC AC for items and abilities - NPC armor class will be affected by worn armor, rings, dexterity, etc. If you're going to put armor on an orc, make sure you set it's base AC to 10 first!
    • Allow Player Cheater Dice - toggles if they have a button to force a roll of 1 or 20
    • Alternate Condition Modifiers - Changes how some effects like prone/restrained stack
    • Generate Hit Locations - Just for flavor, shows where a hit occurred
    • Ring Bell on Round Start - Rings the bell when it's a player's turn
    • Set Unrolled NPC Init to 99 - Set to 99 at start of round until they manually roll
    • Set Unrolled PC Init to 99 - Set to 99 at start of round until they manually roll
    • Stricter Resistance Rules - Changes how resistance works with multiple damage types (like a morningstar's bludgeoning/piercing vs a skeleton, which would be resisted in the base ruleset but not with this option enabled). Need work though since neither this nor the base ruleset really has it fully right yet in all cases, in my opinion.
    • Weapon vs Armor to-hit modifiers - Automates the weapon type vs armor tables from 2E (or whatever you set as custom values) like, for, example, +2 to-hit with bludgeoning vs chainmail

Hackmaster House Rules
    • Armor Damage - Armor soaks damage per hit and slowly degrades
    • Enable Comeliness - Adds stat to PC sheet
    • Enable Honor - Adds honor which can affect dice rolls (+1 or -1 to all dice)
    • Hackmaster 10-segment initiative - Uses the HM init system where all action occurs on segments 1-10, with 11+ rolling over to the next round.
    • Hackmaster critical hits - uses the crit charts from Hackmaster (including severity calculations and size differences)
    • Hackmaster fatigue rules - Not quite RAW, but pretty close, slowly gaining fatigue in combat which can affect str/dex
    • Hackmaster stat scaling - Use the Ability Score modifiers from Hackmaster rather than 2E (generally, they're higher)
    • Hit Point Kickers - Add bonus HP to every NPC when they spawn on the CT.
    • HM Called Shot Modifiers - Use the HM tables for called shot modifiers rather than the flat -4 of 2E
    • Monster Thac0 Based on HM Attack Matrix - Doesn't reproduce the attack matrix from hackmaster, but does set Thac0 according to those charts
    • Penetration Dice - Damage/heals explode upward if maximum is rolled
    • Reaction Adjustment Affects Init - Dex affects init
    • Threshold of Pain - Chance to be stunned if an actor takes 50% of max health in a round.
    • Use Fumble Tables - Spice things up on a natural 1
    • What can hurt magic armor (if using armor damage?) - Specifies how magic armor takes damage under the armor damage system

I will post major updates to the extension to this thread, but the latest code is always available at https://github.com/drplote/FG-2e-PlayersOption if you want to just grab it and zip it into an extension yourself. What I post to this thread is (hopefully) stable, but any given pull on Github might contain experimental code that's still in progress, as I've been too lazy to set up a Release branch (mainly because I don't think anyone actually looks there).

WARNING: This extension touches a lot of systems (combat, initiative, character sheet, combat tracker, etc) and overrides or in some cases reproduces a lot of the 2E ruleset code, so any time the 2E ruleset updates and has changes in those areas, there is a chance that this extension will break or cause undesired behavior until I get it updated. If you run into any bugs, before reporting them against the ruleset to Celestian, disable the extension first and see if it still occurs. Most of the extension file names end in "*_po.lua" so if you see a bug pop up in the console with a filename that ends like that, it's pretty safe to blame the extension. You can submit bug reports to me in this thread or find me in the #dnd_classic_2e channel on FG's Discord.

WARNING #2: I started out writing this while using FGC but switched to FGU around September 2020 and have no plans to go back. As far as I know, everything in this extension works in FGC, but I don't plan to maintain backwards compatibility if fixing some FGC-specific bug turns out to be particularly complex. Hopefully we won't run into anything like that, but just be aware that I don't test this extension in FGC at all anymore.

WARNING #3: Now that FGC has an end date where it will stop being updated, Warning #2 especially applies! I'll archive an older version of this extension for FGC at the time that the 2E ruleset locks it's FGC code as well, and it won't receive any further updates after that.

WARNING #4: As mentioned above, the .ext file attached to this thread is out of date and meant only for FGC users. If you are using FGU, you'll want to get this extension via the Forge link above instead.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sterno; October 10th, 2022 at 16:40. Reason: updated to 1.02

Got this error when scoring a critical hit.
    Script Error: [string "scripts/utility_po.lua"]:10: attempt to get length of local 'set' (a nil value)
    "My campaigns are multi layered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which quite frankly would be to strong for your hobbiest gamer."
    -Doug Dougalson

Fantasy Grounds License: Ultimate
    Games I Run: AD&D 2nd Ed
    Currently Running: AD&D 2E (Forgotten Realms)
    Games I play: Any~
    Converted Modules: Faiths & Avatars (2e), Demihuman Deities (2e), Tome of Magic (2e), Dragon Mountain (2e)
    Current Projects: None
    Created Content: AD&D 2E NPC generator Module

Darn it, I did a lot of testing but apparently something go through. Looks like in this case it's treating something like a set which isn't, in some particular case. Can you tell me what kind of attacker, defender, and weapon you had so I can try to reproduce?

The attacker is a PC with a long sword attacking an orc with no additions to the NPC.
    "My campaigns are multi layered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which quite frankly would be to strong for your hobbiest gamer."
    -Doug Dougalson

Converted Modules: Faiths & Avatars (2e), Demihuman Deities (2e), Tome of Magic (2e), Dragon Mountain (2e)

I'm rolling from the Attack box within the combat tracker. NVM tried from the character sheet. same error.
    Last edited by Frankison; July 4th, 2020 at 19:05.
    -Doug Dougalson

The Combat & Tactics Critical Hits also disables the ability to increase the critical threat range effect. CRIT:16 for high mastery for instance.
    I included a screen shot, in the chat log there is a 19 rolled with the Nat 20, hit by 5 you can see the effect is showing on the attack but it did not trigger the crit.
    I then turned it off and tried again, without the rule in play the crit activates fine.
    Capture.PNG
    Last edited by Frankison; July 4th, 2020 at 19:17.
    -Doug Dougalson

Just tried the same and it's working for me. Do you have any other extensions installed? The attack action code in the 2E Ruleset isn't really built for injecting code without massive code replacement so I had to replace a huge chunk of it... other extensions that do the same might be conflicting. Otherwise I'll probably have to add some debug logging to catch what's going on. This failure is probably related to it trying to determine the damage type of the weapon, and for some reason getting bad data back. If we're both using stock PHB and MM data, though, I'm not sure what could be happening.

As far as the crit range thing, yeah. I'm not sure what the best way to handle that would be since the crit range with RAW is already 18+. I could implement something there but I'm not sure what the right answer would be. The best choice might be having the nat 20 options use the specified threat range, but the 18+ version from Combat & Tactics ignore it. I guess some other options would be to extend by the same amount... a threat range of 19-20 with the 18+ system would be be 17-20 (essentially 1 better). Or yet another option is to only use the improved threat range if it's <18 and 18+ is selected.

Edit: Huh. Nevermind. This error is occuring when you manually roll a 20 rather than forcing a 20 to be rolled (which is what I did in all my testing because otherwise it would take forever). I should be able to track this down and fix it in a few.
    Last edited by Sterno; July 4th, 2020 at 19:26.

when I force the roll like you just did it works. Try attacking normally without using the force roll feature till you roll a crit.
    The only other extension I had was a Decal extension.
    Just tested it without the extension, same error.
    -Doug Dougalson

Version 0.2: Fixed glaring oversight where crits weren't working when rolled/dragged rather than forced via control-click.

Thanks for the feedback, Frankison. I've replace the extension in the OP with a fixed version.
    It does not address your issue with manually set crit ranges on weapons. I'm open to whatever suggestions you have about how that should work.
    Last edited by Sterno; July 5th, 2020 at 01:04.

Blog Entries
    Nice work!
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information