FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Was Remade one of your users or an anonymous user you don’t know?
    One of the group. A friend I've known for about 20 years.

At the beginning of the evening, I did ask if everyone updated, and they said they had... Hmm.
    Last edited by Surge; July 4th, 2020 at 23:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Surge View Post
    One of the group. A friend I've known for about 20 years.

At the beginning of the evening, I did ask if everyone updated, and they said they had... Hmm.
    Player: Yeah,yeah Ive updated
    DM: Today?
    Player well, no 3 days ago.... But I did update!
    DM: <Head plant> Sigh....
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Was Remade one of your users or an anonymous user you don’t know?
    Just confirmed with Remade. He had updated. We were running the same version.

Sometimes the update button doesn't turn red quickly enough to get people's attention.
    When I run into issues (in Unity especially) I always have everyone shut it down and update.
    I've had updates come out mid-game a few times which can be quite confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    Sometimes the update button doesn't turn red quickly enough to get people's attention.
    I asked him to look at the version in the launcher (we haven't played since that fateful evening, and he wouldn't have even opened FG since then. It is the same version as mine.

I'm wondering if one possible cause could be other connection attempts from outside the group. Perhaps random bots trying to make random connections. We use Direct IP and I have a dynamic DNS set up on duckdns.org to point to my IP (for reasons other than FG), where I get the others to connect via the URL instead of IP. I've also never bothered with a password, so maybe it was random attempts to connect to the port that FG uses from some bots or something?

When I just asked everyone to check the version they were using for that session, one of the players said they had some problems updating:

Might have been mine. I updated but everytime the game froze it wouldn't let me back in until I updated again. Updated 3 times in total
    This person is on the same connection as the previously mentioned Remade, if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by Surge; July 5th, 2020 at 20:22.

On the latest update, things are somewhat better. I would suggest trying it again. Still rough around the edges, but seems to be a drastic improvement in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Willot View Post
    Player: Yeah,yeah Ive updated
    DM: Today?
    Player well, no 3 days ago.... But I did update!
    DM: <Head plant> Sigh....
    I get in voice chat 30 minutes early and say "Be sure to check for updates" as soon as anyone logs in. They always say "you know you don't have to tell me that every week, right?" To which I reply "I know, it's really everyone else I'm worried about, I just say it to everyone to be fair."

Quote Originally Posted by Slamoo View Post
    On the latest update, things are somewhat better. I would suggest trying it again. Still rough around the edges, but seems to be a drastic improvement in performance.
    We've got another session either this Saturday or Monday. I'm going to ask everyone to check their version in the launched before joining this time, instead of just asking them to update. I'm also going to add a password to the server in case it was some random outside connection attempts to the port.

I noticed the same thing since the 7/7 update. Windows opened a bit quicker but as the game moved on, things got much worse. We played for about 4 hours with a DM + 7 and by the end, it was absolutely painful. It also got so people would roll and the app would not even acknowledge they rolled vs their target so I had to do everything manually. Not the end of the world but frustrating.

Update from this evening.

Got everyone to update and check their versions. Put a password on the server.

The massive lock ups still happened.

Had to restart FG. Tried using the cloud based server browser instead of direct IP.

One player couldn't connect. Searching for my name didn't do anything.

Asked him to force a full update from the Updater. He didn't have the option.

Asked him what version the updater was. He said 2020-04 or -05-something.

Asked him to download and reinstall FGU. He was then able to search for and join my game.

There were then only much milder lock ups from then on (but didn't play too long after that to confirm improvement).

Checking the console after a lock up (which kept happening even after all but one person disconnected), it was during an aborted connection to the server browser and a reconnection.

Next session we'll go back to Direct IP and see if the cause was indeed the outdated updater. Fingers crossed.

Thread Information