5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

DnDbeyond Adventure Re-buy in FGs worth it?

Hi all,

When I bought the Essential Kit - Dragon of Icespire peak, it came with a code that unlocked the book and the 3 expansion on DnDbeyond.

I am considering if it would be worth re-buying the adventures in FGs, since this will be the main place where I will be playing DnD from now on.

Would love to hear your opinion on this.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    How much is your time worth?

Do you mind having to put your maps into FG? What about setting up NPCs and encounters? Treasure?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I don't mind prepping so much, in terms of placing encounters, treasure, preparing map with Line of Sight.

Only setting up NPCs worries me that it could be very time consuming, especially for NPCs that are not in the Monster Manual.

I glanced over an NPC boss for instance that was not in Monster Manual, so I will have to create them on my own.
    So am a little worried that creating the missing NPCs could be tedious.

I suspect the whole process would be tedious. The only question is whether you have the time - or want to spend the time - adding everything into FG. It can be done but it just takes time. And so that determines whether it is worth the $ to just buy it and have everything there.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by vaughnlannister View Post
    Hi all,

When I bought the Essential Kit - Dragon of Icespire peak, it came with a code that unlocked the book and the 3 expansion on DnDbeyond.

I am considering if it would be worth re-buying the adventures in FGs, since this will be the main place where I will be playing DnD from now on.

Would love to hear your opinion on this.

Thanks!
    I had purchased the box set and then acquired my Ultimate License. Made more sense to me to acquire the FG ready modules for this adventure set. Allows for quick setup and getting to the game. I am working on learning how to create these modules for FG....but that takes time to make sure I get it right...

Personally, I would purchase it for FG. Just an opinion for a fellow gamer some what new to all of this with FG.

Well I bit the bullet , the first mod I ever bought was for LMoP even though we had a hardcopy of the book. Ended up loving that it took away a lot of prep and gave me more time to flush out the realm and add stuff to the campaign. The coming year, FGs will be our main platform for playing DnD from now on, so were definitely going to play it in FGs, making it worth the purchase.

Thanks for your advice !!

Quote Originally Posted by vaughnlannister View Post
    Well I bit the bullet , the first mod I ever bought was for LMoP even though we had a hardcopy of the book. Ended up loving that it took away a lot of prep and gave me more time to flush out the realm and add stuff to the campaign. The coming year, FGs will be our main platform for playing DnD from now on, so were definitely going to play it in FGs, making it worth the purchase.

Thanks for your advice !!
    I think you'll be glad you did. I'm going to toss one more thing out that you might not have known: There is a major difference in owning something here and having access to it on Roll20 or DNDBeyond: you actually own it here, you're only licensing access to it elsewhere.

See this thread:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...f-FG-goes-away

I've outlived a bunch of games and websites. I still use old RPG books from a bunch of different systems. Knowing I can still use my FG books years from now, makes buying here a lot more valuable to me.

I can't speak for buying on D&D Beyond but I've found that I often buy the FG version of D&D books first and then if I like it enough I buy the physical copy. Since you cannot download and read offline D&D material from Beyond I find it considerably less valuable to me. Especially with the character generator and level up system coming to FG (currently in public license testing) I see even less reason to consider D&D Beyond.

I did get the physical essentials kit which gave me free access to Beyond and I found it to be annoying trying to read the three extended adventures in their system. So I just bought them on FG and didn't bother going back. So I guess my position is really I got them for free on Beyond and still felt it was worth it to pay $15 to buy all three on FG and never thought twice about it. For $15 me and several others enjoyed about 40 hours of entertainment with minimal effort on anyone's part and the developer maybe got enough to buy a candy bar.

So that's my two cents.

Personally, my experience is the opposite of esmdev. I find the D&D Beyond version easier to read because I can read it on my iPad anywhere in the house, while the FG versions are restricted to my computer and their presentation is more oriented to running the adventure rather than reading it from start to finish.

I typically buy both. I’m fortunate to be at a stage in life where I can afford to do that.

Thread Information