DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234

Thread: Flurry of Blows

I provided an example - a cold iron longsword deals both "cold iron" and "slashing" damage in what is incontrovertibly a single instance of damage.

I see what you are angling at with the paragraph about resistance to all, but it does use slightly different terminology - "an effect deals damage" instead of "instance of damage". I can still see either interpretation being valid.

And a flaming longsword deals both "slashing" and "fire" damage. Yes, the fire damage uses its own dice on top of the slashing dice, but the damage is still done by the sword (original wording in the CRB). Both interpretations can be used, but FG only supports one of them. So in practice we have little choice anyway.

After all these years Paizo still did not learn how to improve this kind of wording. If you write a rule, make it clear. If you want ambiguity then don't write the rule.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; July 10th, 2020 at 23:52.

Just to mention it: FG/PFRPG2 applies resistances via weapon traits. So a slashing silver weapon is treated the very same as a slashing + fire rune weapon, both are resisted by *all* resistances of an opponent. So effectively FG/PFRPG2 applies the "resistance to all damage" rules to normal multiple resistances as well, regardless of interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    Just to mention it: FG/PFRPG2 applies resistances via weapon traits.
    FG uses damage types, not weapon traits, for damage resistance, immunity and weakness calculations.

Traits are different. The item page in the Wiki details which weapon traits are used in FG, and none of these are damage types: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...2+Items#Traits
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Precious materials don't seem to add item traits, but magical runes use item traits, like "Conjuration, FIRE, magical" for a Flaming rune. These are CRB item traits, not the weapon traits used by FG, though. So there is an understandable confusion of wording. So let's stay with damage type like you suggested

FG uses damage types, FG subtracts all resistances when damage types are present. This is true for a low-grade silver mace just the same as for a mace + flaming rune. I does not seem that FG ever makes use of the "only the highest applicable resistance value should be used" rule!?

I'm tracking the issue with weakness and resistance stacking under RS2.097.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information