5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Thread: FG 2 Problem

FG 2 Problem

When I try and create a local character with FG 2, I get a message saying "Could not load rule base file.xml". What do I need to do to fix this problem?

Which ruleset are you using? Custom version 1 rulesets do not work with FG2 directly.
    Tero Parvinen
    Fantasy Grounds Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin-King
    Which ruleset are you using? Custom version 1 rulesets do not work with FG2 directly.
    So what do we have to do to get our custom ruleset to work with FG II? When I load my campaign from my custom ruleset I get the error message, "could not load ruleset root file base.xml." How do I fix it and get my custom ruleset to work?

You can start trying to convert things manually. Note that in FG2 you don't need the path any more: rulesets/myruleset/desktop.xml becomes desktop.xml.

On that note devs, how would I walk up a directory to access a file in another ruleset?

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin-King
    I'm just using the default d20 ruleset and it gives me that error message (same as bobthebuilder).

Quote Originally Posted by joshuha
    You can start trying to convert things manually. Note that in FG2 you don't need the path any more: rulesets/myruleset/desktop.xml becomes desktop.xml.

On that note devs, how would I walk up a directory to access a file in another ruleset?
    I would interested in this as well. Is there a reason these are not pathed anymore? To make a minor tweak to the ruleset it seems you now have to copy the entire d20 ruleset into a new directory instead of just the files you are changing along with the base.xml. Won't this make it very difficult to keep up with changes from Updates? Am I panicking over nothing? Please someone set my mind at ease.

Update: with Fantasy Grounds 2.0.2 I no longer have this problem. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by joshuha
    You can't at the moment. Experience from v1 showed that the complications arising from this outweighed the benefits, plus there are some technical issues related to getting the stuff synched to clients properly.

Some background on this issue is discussed here:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ead.php?t=5628

Basically, if/when the addon system comes along, you can target smaller portions of the ruleset with more easily managed customizations.
    Tero Parvinen
    Fantasy Grounds Guru

Thread Information