DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Access controls inside Windowlist

Hey All,

Got a bit of a brain twizzler going on.

I've got a frame inside which I had some labels, after the labels I have a windowlist inside I have some controls.

When I drag something to that windowlist, it accepts it, I know what it is and I add it to the databasenode, all good stuff.

Now what I want to do, is to show/hide a field that's inside that windowlist, using the script that's part of the windowlist.

If I want to show hide the labels, that's all good I use 'window.label_ammo_rof.setVisible(bVisible)' - that also all works perfectly.

If I use 'Debug.console(self.getName())' it returns to me 'damageactions' which again is perfect.

I have a control called 'ammorateoffire' (it's a stringcycler) but I can't hide/show it, it can't find it.

I've tried:

self.ammorateoffire.setVisible(bVisible);
    ammorateoffire.setVisible(bVisible);

And neither do anything except throw an error `attempt to index field 'ammorateoffire' (a nil value)`

Any thoughts, it's driving me insane, should be simple.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

I'm not sure I'm completely clear on your control hierarchy, so I'm going to make some assumtions...

Each entry within a windowlist is it's own window.

You need to get a LUA table of all the windows: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ist#getWindows

Then step through each window (using for.. in ipairs .. do) and set the control in each window returned as part of the for loop.

Have a look at the toggleVisibility function in CoreRPG ct\scripts\ct.lua as an example - "v" is the window variable.
    Last edited by Trenloe; June 29th, 2020 at 19:34.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I'm not sure I'm completely clear on your control hierarchy, so I'm going to make some assumtions...

Each entry within a windowlist is it's own window.

You need to get a LUA table of all the windows: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ist#getWindows

Then step through each window (using for.. in ipairs .. do) and set the control in each window returned as part of the for loop.

Have a look at the toggleVisibility function in CoreRPG ct\scripts\ct.lua as an example - "v" is the window variable.
    Morning Chap,

That's not it, I don't want to iterate through the windowlist.

Here's some code. This gets called when a child has been added to the windowlist, in this case a new type of Ammo has been dragged/dropped.

Code:
    function updateRofFields()

local sTraits = window.traits.getValue():lower() --Fetches the traits from the parent window
        local showrateoffire = false;

if string.find (sTraits, "auto", 0, true) then
            showrateoffire = true;
        end

window.label_ammo_rof.setVisible(showrateoffire); -- This hides the label
        self.ammorateoffire.setVisible(showrateoffire);  -- This errors

if (showrateoffire) then
            if ammorateoffire.getValue() == "" then
                self.ammorateoffire.setStringValue("single");
    	end
        end
    end
    To put this into context on the actions tab you have weapon actions, each weapon action may have ammo actions (so a windowlist inside a windowlist).

I just can't seem to 'hide/show' one field on the ammo actions window.

I'll continue with this tonight, cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Without seeing the XML I’m just guessing here...

"self" is a variable usually pointing to a control - I’m guessing the windowlist control in this case. This isn’t a container for other controls, it’s a control itself. window is a variable pointing at an instance of a windowclass - which is a container for controls.

So if you want to access a control you’ll need the window instance that it’s in.

Not knowing the GUI hierarchy, nor knowing exactly where the LUA you post above is running, I can’t give specific recommendations. Some of the script scope variables may help: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...pt-Block-Scope
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Changed my way completely.

I added a DB.addHandler to fire off an event call when the traits field got updated.

This then was enough for me to know if I needed to show the Rate of Fire field or not.

Still like to know if it's possible using .dot notation to access fields but that can wait, fixed the bug I had.

Cheers,
    MBM

When I get this it's usually some stupid spelling mistake, usually I've defined ammoRateofFire and I'm trying to change ammoRateOfFire or something.

I was also really pleased when I figured out I could do window.windowlist.window to access controls on window holding the window list holding the window I just activated a control in.
    Last edited by Ampersandrew; July 8th, 2020 at 16:21.

Thread Information