STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 38 First ... 2345614 ... Last

Is it possible to set a stat to a certain number? Like the belt of hill giant strength in Dungeons and Dragons 5e sets your strength stat to 21, but the only thing I can do is manually modify a players strength and I have to do it each time they equip or unequip the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by xTheCanadian View Post
    Is it possible to set a stat to a certain number? Like the belt of hill giant strength in Dungeons and Dragons 5e sets your strength stat to 21, but the only thing I can do is manually modify a players strength and I have to do it each time they equip or unequip the belt.
    All this extension will do is add a custom effect that matches the name of the item you are equipping - or removing an effect that matches the name of the item when unequipping.

As far as the effects go, and lets be honest here, they support very limited logic capabilities - I have no control over that. I actually created a custom effect of "Belt of Hill Giant Strength;" but for the life of me could not figure out a way based on docs to create an automatic way to create a custom effect for this thing. First I tried...

"Belt of Hill Giant Strength; STR: 21"

Which of course did not do what I expected. Instead, for some unfathomable reason when I swing my battleaxe in attack and this effect adds +10 to my attack. As my character strength was 12 - I actually can only imagine it was doing 21 + 12 = 33 which the max bonus for strength is then +10.

Based on this theory I then tried...

"Belt of Hill Giant Strength; STR: 9"

Which by this reason should have been 12 + 9 = 21 which is a +5 bonus. Swinging my battleaxe - I get +4 added to attack by effect. Which I would have thought was going to be +5.

I'll skip the math I tried to apply to right of "STR:" as it was a total failure as evidently the idea of allowing calculations is something they though the user would never want to do with effects. You'll have to ask what on earth fantasy grounds was thinking the use of this Ability value was going to be as I have no idea what its currently doing based on their documentation.

If you find a way to make a custom effect for these kind of ability modifications - let me know. Nothing to do with this extension of course - but still - I find it bizarre in how the logic of this is being applied.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

After a big discussion in Discord - pretty sure you cannot do this in custom effects. Because the parsing logic is not there. You could do STR: 9 (if your character was Strength 12 - it adds the strength to your strength to generate the [EFFECT+4] to your attacks - that is minus your original strength bonus of +1) - but you'd have to make a custom effect for every strength value and apply the right one to the right character. Not really feasible in the context we are talking about here.

However, it can support extra parsing logic in the action tab powers (magnifying glass) to apply an effect that will do what you want. Here is an image someone gave me in discord... (note this has nothing to do with this extension)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SilentRuin; January 28th, 2021 at 18:05.

Hey, thanks for the answers buddy! I was just wondering if it was possible. What I did was just do the math and make the item for that player just add the correct amount of str to bring his stat. I was just wondering if it WAS possible, if not it's not a big deal. This extension already made my life a million times easier by allowing me to make custom items that do (more or less) what I want when equipped and unequipped.

For the item in question I did this

Magnus' Ring; STR: 4

in the effects and it works like a charm to boost their STR to 21 AND they also get the +5 on the rolls. (Magnus' Ring is a ring that an NPC took from another NPC and gave to one of the players, essentially it's a belt of hill giant strength in ring form)

That second one, the spell like effect, is neat but I like how I did it with this extension better, the player can unequip or re-equip the items as needed without any issues.

Thanks for the response and the help though!

Hugh.

Hey, thanks for the answers buddy! I was just wondering if it was possible. What I did was just do the math and make the item for that player just add the correct amount of str to bring his stat. I was just wondering if it WAS possible, if not it's not a big deal. This extension already made my life a million times easier by allowing me to make custom items that do (more or less) what I want when equipped and unequipped.

For the item in question I did this

Magnus' Ring; STR: 4

in the effects and it works like a charm to boost their STR to 21 AND they also get the +5 on the rolls. (Magnus' Ring is a ring that an NPC took from another NPC and gave to one of the players, essentially it's a belt of hill giant strength in ring form)

That second one, the spell like effect, is neat but I like how I did it with this extension better, the player can unequip or re-equip the items as needed without any issues.

Thanks for the response and the help though!

Hugh.
    I like that you renamed the generic item into a unique item name to insure someone else with same item did not inherit their specific strength modifier incorrectly. Just remember you'll have to update it when/if their strength ability ever changes. And that every ability modifying item will have to play this same unique name to character matching you have going on here.

Yeah, I re-use items to make them unique to my story and to suit my purposes. Magnus' Ring was a ring worn by a Dwarf King's brother, Magnus, who used it to cheat in an arm wrestling competition with one of my players. The player asked the Dwarf "Where could I get a ring like that?" and King Ferin tosses him the ring.

Oops sorry!

Does this extension work with AD&D ruleset?

Thread Information