FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

(LFP)(18+) Looking for 4-6 Players for D&D Stream

Hi, everyone. As the title says, I am looking for 4-6 players to start a D&D stream. Hoping to find a diverse group of players, preferably with an online presence. The games would be during the weeknights. Exact day will depend on the group’s availability, but will all likely start at 8 or 9 PM and go on for approximately 3 hours. It is very important that anyone interested be willing to commit to the decided upon schedule. Games would be online using theater of the mind, and players will need a decent mic and a camera. All players must be age 18+. There’s plenty more to cover but I don’t want this to run on forever and would rather go over it directly with anyone interested.
    Now, I do want to go over how I DM a bit, so you know what to expect before expressing your interest. If after reading the below information you are still interested, please drop me a line, be it directly or through the comments. I am hoping to get the game going as soon as it is possible, so I will respond quickly if I feel you are a good fit.

DM Info:

XP: I reward XP for completing various encounters and objectives. This may include defeating an enemy in combat (which means they are killed or they retreat), overcoming an obstacle through role-playing, and anything that furthers the plot.

Unannounced Dice Rolls: Don’t make rolls that aren’t asked for. They won’t be counted, and you’ll have to reroll when asked.

Dice Rolls Against Each Other: Interacting with player characters is not the same as NPCs. Unless a spell is used that allows you to dictate a player’s actions, one player cannot roll to persuade or intimidate etc another player.

PVP: Instances may arise where some PVP is understandable, but I prefer players not constantly be ready to kill one another.

Player Comfort: I run a mature game and that is reflected in the world but I prefer certain things be implied rather than stated outright.

Player Agency: You have full control of your character actions. I will not dictate what you do. I may advise something is impossible or may advise against actions and caution some unforeseen consequences, but I will not interfere will your agency. I have more than enough to control; your characters are yours.
    Game Balance and Fairness: I balance based on the party and create the campaign as the game moves along but I do strive to mix it up so there may be instances where you encounter something beyond your current capabilities and requires you to return to, though you’ll usually get some hint of the difficulty prior to the encounter.

Rules Debates: I am very open and willing to discuss rules but at the table when the game is going I prefer to keep things moving along so if something is unclear then I will make a quick judgement call and work on a better answer later. I do expect the ruling to be respected and players not hold the game arguing a ruling, but I don’t image that being a problem since when I make judgement calls I always work to make sure the ruling is fair or if someone is going to get some advantage from it then it will be the players.

Spotlight Sharing: Don’t step on other player’s toes. There will be plenty of chances for your character to shine, trust me, but if someone else is having a powerful moment then please let them have their moment.

Metaknowledge: I am rather lax here, but not completely. Character knowledge is kept in mind and I won’t let characters act on knowledge they would not know (ie a party member is attacked in a different area, you could not just know there is combat and run to their aid, but depending on the circumstances you could use that meta knowledge to do a perception check to see if something would clue you in to the action).

Min/Maxing: If this is your preferred way to play then have at it, but please give them a personality. Also keep in mind that I’m going to balance encounters based on the party.

Character Party Fit: Make what you want. It is up to the group to work together and see if they want to coordinate.
    Murder Hobos: Again, I won’t interfere with what players want to do, but remember that I am a player too and running the game I build for you is how I get my enjoyment. If you want the game to go on for an extended time like I do, then doing more than just burning it down would benefit everyone.

DM Style: I am kind of a mixed bag. I do my prep as necessary, but also improv a lot. I pretty much only run homebrews but may take elements from published materials. I like to add sensory elements to the game like music, sound effects, and voice mods when possible. My worlds are large, but players still have a large role in it and can affect the world directly.

Player Absences: Things come up and I get that. All I ask is for some notification. I don’t require a big group to run so even if only a few players are available then we can still run a side quest or something.

Player Narrative Authority: I welcome input and suggestions and will find fun and interesting ways to bring your character backgrounds into the world, but as DM I do retain final say on the narrative outside of your character’s actions.

Pet Peeves: As I said, I am pretty laid back. All I ask is that everyone be considerate of each other.

Ethics: This goes back to comfort and like I said there, I prefer using suggestion over narrating grotesque scenes. Not to say that there won’t be scenes with graphic things happening, but I don’t care to have things being too morbid and I often times imply the worst of it rather than state it outright.

Creation Questions: Character creation will be done on DnD Beyond. I will share my content with the group (DMG and XGE), but any content outside of that will require you to own it. Characters can have as basic or as detailed (reasonably) a background as you would like. I do ask that you not include some huge adventure they have already been through. Their adventures start here, everything prior was simply leading them to it. Also, don’t be afraid to create connections to other player characters.

Creation Stats: For this campaign, all characters will use Standard Point Array.

Alignment: I see alignments as a combination of your characters preferred view of themselves and their actual actions. I do not bind players action choices to their alignments, but if your actions differ dramatically from your chosen alignment then I reserve the right to change your characters alignment and you would have to deal with whatever consequences that may have on your character.

Other Creation Rules: I am willing to negotiate variations on stats if it makes sense. Example (just an example and not a rule) if you play an elderly character then I might be willing to do something like +2 Wisdom with -1 Dexterity and -1 Constitution.

Races: Any race you want. I am going to create the game around the group, so you can play any race.

Classes: No limit. I am open to homebrews, but I need to approve the class first and you must be able to use it through DnD Beyond.

Tweaking/Flavoring Races/Classes: Flavor away! So long as it is simply cosmetic then I have no real restrictions.

Type of Game: Open world/Sandbox/

Campaign Length: I generally write campaigns in archs, with one arch lasting anywhere from 5-10 levels, and I will continue to add archs until everyone seems ready to move on to a new campaign, and a satisfying ends presents itself. That said, it is perfectly possible for a campaign to run through levels 1-20 and beyond.

In-game Adventurers: Adventurers fit many categories that the group can fit into, be they classic heroes, or members of an adventuring guild, or maybe their blades for hire that sail from port to port seeking riches and adventure. We’ll decide what we want to play together.
    Politics and Factions: These things are going on in the background everywhere to some capacity. There are guilds, factions, and politics the players can get involved with if they choose, and it’s up to players how much they engage there.

Start/Standing: Game will start at level 1.

Character Context: Players can always ask if their character has any information or knowledge on something they see or hear of in the world, at which point I will advised either they have no knowledge of the thing of interest, or allow the player to roll to see if they can recall the information.

Backgrounds: Backgrounds will play into the world. No limit on what background players may choose.

Feats: I allow feats. Be as creative with your character as you’d like.

Mounts: I allow mounts, with basic mounts widely available if characters can afford them, and players may ask about finding more exotic mounts if they would like, though that will likely come with a challenge to obtain said mount. In my experience, mounts don’t come up too much in a lot of campaigns, but if it become integral to a character or the group then it will get more focus to make sure it is not wasted.

General Mechanic Rules and Clarifications: Most of the rules follow the Players Handbook with some exceptions.

Critical Hits: On a critical hit, damage is maximum possible damage + rolled damage +modifiers (ie an attack with a longsword is 8 + 1d8 + strength modifier).

Healing Potions: Potions do maximum possible healing (Potion of Healing= 10, Greater Healing= 20, Superior Healing= 40, Supreme Healing= 60)

Downtime: Downtime sessions will occur anytime it fits in the story, usually following some big milestone but not always. I will let everyone know beforehand when we will be having a downtime-session so everyone has time to think about what they want to do with the in game time they have available. Normal downtime activities are available, but players can always suggest new options.

Ability Checks: Players can try to do anything, but I prefer you describe the action you are attempted as opposed to asking for an ability check to complete a task (example: “I try to leap across the gap” instead of “can I do an athletic check to get across?”). In the event that something more specific is required, like solving a riddle or puzzle, or if the task is impossible, such as trying to jump to the moon, I will simply advise you a check cannot be made to complete the task. I only ask for checks if the goal is achievable.

Stealth: Characters can attempt to sneak so long as they are not visible. If the enemy can see you then you cannot sneak. If you are sneaking, attack an enemy, and then try to hide then you may be able to get out of sight, but the enemy will be generally aware of where you are hiding.

Traps: I add a bit of an extra layer to traps where if a trap is set off, I will narrate some kind of trigger (ie “you hear a sudden CLICK”) and players will be asked for a quick response. How each player reacts will determine how the trap effects them, if at all.

Player Questionnaire:
    If you made it this far and are still interested, then you are almost done, and I thank you for your patience. Please complete the questionnaire below. If you are not able to answer everything then that is fine. It is just meant to give me a good idea of who you are and what you are looking for in a D&D campaign.
    When weeknight works best for you to play?

My favorite ways to play is:
    -To acquire, use, and optimize new spells/powers, abilities, and other resources to make me and the party successful.
    -To think cleverly, strategically, or creatively to overcome obstacles or make obstacles easier to defeat.
    -Me bash!
    -To play the same kind of character I usually play in most campaigns.
    -To have a character participate in a fun story and hopefully to be successful.
    -To stay in character even when it might hurt me. To get and revel in the spotlight.
    -Hey, I’m just here for friends and snacks. So, if I laugh hard and make others laugh, that is a good session.
    If you have one, give an example of an event you enjoyed in a previous session you’ve player:

Please give an example of a campaign events that you did not enjoy from a previous campaign and help me understand why you didn’t like them:

Give a summary of what kind of DM you prefer (i.e. laid back and focused on player enjoyment over all else, strict and focused on enforcing the rules over all else, somewhere in between):

If you can’t attend a session, please indicate what you like to have happen to your character:
    -my character should be present and the DM should control them should combat occur
    -I prefer my character be considered absent from the events of that session

Please indicate any of the following responses that match your expectation for missions:
    -I’m okay with failing a mission related to the overall campaign goals.
    -I’m okay with failing an overall campaign mission thus far (e.g., prevent a gate from forming to an evil plane) as long as we get new related goals (e.g., fight what comes through the gate and then close the gate).
    -I’m okay with failing a mission related to the overall campaign goals as long as we get new goals and those goals may be unrelated (e.g., survive the demon horde pouring through the gate; save/protect the McGuffin from the demon horde).
    -I’m only okay with failing side missions that are tangentially or only loosely related to main goals. Beyond that, I like a GM to keep us moving closer to a successful completion of the over all goal.
    -I’m okay with failing. Period. Even the whole campaign.
    -Though I know the party won’t be perfect, I really need every mission to end with at least a modicum of success.
    -I prefer the party to set its own goals and don’t want a given goal in the GM’s mind before we create characters or before we start a mission.

I like roleplaying where:
    -Everyone focuses on the group goals
    -There are group goals, individual goals, and those goals may be different.
    -I like individual goals to converge with group goals.
    When has it been okay or even fun for your character to die in a game? (Check all that apply.)
    -Never. How could that even be fun?
    -When the character can be resurrected and eventually catch up to other characters in power level.
    -When it forwarded a plot overall or made a very dramatic enjoyable scene.
    -When the GM thought we made serious mistakes and the dice dictating it.
    -When I got an awesome death monologue.
    -When I had something else to do at the table afterward.
    -The acceptability of character death is inversely proportional to the amount of time it takes to create a new character.
    -Character death is more acceptable the longer and more successful my character has been.
    -Character death is less acceptable the longer and more successful my character has been.
    -Character death appropriateness is based on my character. If I play a cautious, careful, combat avoid, and combat savvy character, I expect those traits to help the character live longer. If I play a reckless foolish character, I expect death to catch up to the character eventually.
    -It is okay to me if other characters die for character/story reasons but not if it affects my character too much.

By the time we finish a campaign, I want my character to be able to:
    -Influence a small group of people known to him or her
    -Influence events in a small group
    -Influence events on a local level (neighborhood or small town)
    -Influence a large city
    -Influence a state or region
    -Influence a country
    -Influence a world
    -Influence a plane
    -Influence the fabric of reality

What kind of overarching campaign goals interest you:
    -Halt a danger to a home town
    -Fight a war of defense
    -Be loyal to an organization (get orders, fulfill missions)
    -Stop an evil organization/evil overlord
    -Save the world/universe
    -Stop the internal power grab within my organization/country
    -Build up the power/wealth/status of my loyal patron
    -See the world
    -Explore different cultures
    -Get the McGuffin
    -Build a menagerie
    -Avenge the wronged
    -Protect the weak
    -Build my power and the power of my friends

How do you feel about GM Improvisation:
    -I like a DM to improvise so I can be free to decide what I want to do. I’m willing to accept some gaffes from the DM as sometimes happens when improvising.
    -I like a well-planned, well balanced adventure and am willing to accept some railroading so the DM can meet that need.
    -I like a well-balanced seamless but improvised adventure and get frustrated by GM mistakes

The next questions are asking about engagement and participation in a campaign.

In previous campaigns, I have enjoyed (please check all that apply):
    -Writing character background
    -Writing character journals
    -Writing session notes
    -Finding/making/painting markers for my and other characters
    -Helping others and the DM remember the rules
    -Tracking NPC contacts
    -Helping players/the DM in other ways. Describe:

In this campaign, I would be willing to and would enjoy (please check all that apply; don’t worry though, I’m not asking for a commitment, and I’m not expecting you will do all of the ones you check or that you will do any of them all of the time):
    -Writing session notes
    -Tracking NPC contacts
    -Helping players/the DM in other ways. Describe

As in any D&D game, there is always the likelihood of violence. Not everyone is comfortable with every style. I don’t want any players to be disturbed by the scenes/acts described by the DM or other players.

Please let me know what kinds of dramatic events you don’t feel have a place in a game that would be fun for you:
    Descriptions of graphic violence/gore
    Violence against
    innocents
    women
    children
    animals
    men
    Torture
    Dismemberment
    Insults
    Kidnapping
    Threats
    Other

Well, that’s about it. It’s a lot, I know, but I want this game to be fun and long running and the most important thing to making that happen is finding the right players. I will acknowledge anyone who shows interest, and then arrange a video chat with everyone to make sure the fit is right. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sounds fun...
    Answers...
    I typically like to play a different type of character each time I play a campaign. I like the campaign to be full and realistic. Evnets and calendars and gametime along with chronology are important to me.
    I have not gotten to play very much over the years as a player. I typically GM. Atttedence is crucially important to me. Steady group play is key.
    I believe a GM should be encouraging and instructful. Fair and balanced. Generous and ruthless. Seriously no one dies in 5e anyway.... lol
    I put alot of time and effort into each PC, feel free to kill them at anytime.
    I like a mix of roleplaying and stratigic and tactical combat. highl level of skill and cooperation amoung the group to succeed.
    I love improv and organic play. I dont set goals and prefer to advance with the story mindful of the group dymnamic always.
    I truly enjoy campaign and PC/NPC development tracing and tracking. Fully funcioning backgrounds and influence on combat and rolplay.
    As far as violence. I can take it if you can. I play at all times to the group and for the group.
    I will show up and contribute. I love to write and create the most.

Later....

I am DEFINITELY interested in more of this. You sound like a clone of me as far as GMing style goes.
    I am most available: Tuesday primary, Monday secondary, Thursday tertiary. I'm in the Pacific Time Zone. Can start as early as 5PM - but closer to 6 is even better.

I have always preferred theatre of the mind over using miniatures - I don't mind using them but usually for general location, not for chess piece moving combat. Most of my friends prefer the minis over theatre of the mind - so there's a tough compromise we always have to deal with.
    I have a FG Ultimate Licence. I've used FG as a player for D&D 5E, but not as a GM. I've never used D&D Beyond but played and DMed the 5e a bunch.
    I have been playing RPGs since 1982 - started w/ basic boxed set of D&D; played all editions except 4th (never cared for it - moved to Pathfinder when it started instead). Now I play D&D very little compared to other gaming. I play alot of other systems - dozens and dozens over the years - and my den has a huge library of gamine source books, genres, game-rules and settings. My main love has shifted from Pathfinder/D&D over the past five years or so to preferring Sci-Fi stuff. But I still enjoy fantasy setting and has been over a year since I played any D&D. I would jump at the chance to do so again in the right setting and the right DM - youre sounding like gold mine in that regard.

I tend to play my characters as clever, creative and use thinking rather than just combat power. As a result I frequent find myself in a mouthpiece role for a party. I'm not a huge fan of just hack n slash - I prefer tactics and clever planning and even avoidance of unnecessary encounters to just slogging through stuff. I often look for the less obvious or less traditional or perhaps less conventional action in a round that uses a bit more ingenuity and creativity to overcome an obstacle. GMs that can ad lib, ad hoc, and roll with unconventional ideas are less common - but have a high place in my hierarchy of them.

If you have one, give an example of an event you enjoyed in a previous session you’ve player:
    The best one that comes to mind was a 3.5 campaign I was in my character was infected w/ lycanthrope. I didn't know it. One day my character woke up naked, covered in blood and unsure where I was or how I got there. I started to figure it out. Later we were asked to escort a woman from one town to the next - this NPC was fantastic and my character was immediately attracted to her. Over the course of the adventure she and I hit it off and genuine love interest was occurring. Later as we neared her destination we learned she was going there to bury her parents in a sacred way and place that is common to those of her religion. As we talked more, the DM dropped the bomb on us of how her parents were viciously killed by a wolf-like creature with crazed evil eyes. I was god-smacked. So clever - so devious - so beautiful and delicious a plot. I had to play my character hiding this secret from her - and looking for a way to rid the lycanthropic disease because he couldn't face telling her it was me. It turned a random little event (me failing my Fort save) into a huge part of the story arc for the time being. That all had a very happy ending. My favorite campaign and my favorite character to play of all time - and I've been gaming since 1982 - so that's a lot of games to compare to.

Please give an example of a campaign events that you did not enjoy from a previous campaign and help me understand why you didn’t like them:

I recall one particular DM when playing 3rd edition - we entered a town that had a terrible reputation of being horrible to it's people i was playing a particularly cantankerous dwarf battlerager. Long story short we were put in a situation where we had to give in to what they all wanted. My proud dwarf refused and left. Some guards came out to harrass me and try to capture me to bring back for not agreeing to their tyrannical demand. I killed them. The DM to punish me sent wave after wave of guards out to me - i killed probably 30 but somehow this little town had 50% of their population as armed fighter guards. It was clear he was just going to keep sending them until he killed my character and told me I can make another one now. I left.

Give a summary of what kind of DM you prefer (i.e. laid back and focused on player enjoyment over all else, strict and focused on enforcing the rules over all else, somewhere in between):

The one experience that stands out for me as a player due to DM style - the DM allowed the story to grow organically (same campaign I mentioned earlier). My character changed, grew up, character growth what have you as it went on. It wasn't the stat increases or levels I cared about - it was engrossing into the story itself, shaping the environment with our actions/presence/interactions. That game was the most fun by far because we were allow to write our own story. It was a D&D game but with a TV series feel to it where relationships and dramatic events shaped all of us in a believable way that was not pre-ordained or railroaded. I think that would be my number one trait that I enjoy from a GM - allowance of the players to expand their own stories and not stifle the creativity or be so linear so as to not allow their aspirations and dreams (not just tombs and ruins) to be explored.

If you can’t attend a session, please indicate what you like to have happen to your character:

I'm not opposed to either - i probably pref absent - but I've seen it done well with the absent player's character be there as a "info NPC" doing things like aiding, and providing non-combat relevant help and knowledge.

Please indicate any of the following responses that match your expectation for missions:
    -I’m okay with failing an overall campaign mission thus far (e.g., prevent a gate from forming to an evil plane) as long as we get new related goals (e.g., fight what comes through the gate and then close the gate).

When has it been okay or even fun for your character to die in a game? (Check all that apply.)

-See the world
    -Avenge the wronged
    -Protect the weak

-I like a DM to improvise so I can be free to decide what I want to do. I’m willing to accept some gaffes from the DM as sometimes happens when improvising.

-Writing session notes
    -Tracking NPC contacts

For this last one - something I do as DM and enjoy doing so as a player - is as DM I ask some open ended questions of players and use their responses to help me direct a plot-point. Similarly, I enjoy interactive storytelling - when a player has the ability to make plot-devices or aspects of the world that the DM hadn't thought of yet; in the attempt to help a DM and group have more robust interaction.

For instance: player Tom asks the DM - is there a tailor here in town? The DM having not bothered to write out every NPC or options in the town says "yah - there is" Then I or another player (based on the notion we have been given encouragement from DM to adlib and ad facets to the game) says "I heard two men talking about the tailor in fact - a lovely blonde lass who needed was looking to resupply her cotton." Another player then pipes in "But beware of her dog though - he slobbers on everything"

In this campaign, I would be willing to and would enjoy (please check all that apply; don’t worry though, I’m not asking for a commitment, and I’m not expecting you will do all of the ones you check or that you will do any of them all of the time):

-Tracking NPC contacts

Please let me know what kinds of dramatic events you don’t feel have a place in a game that would be fun for you:

I'm comfortable with all; though certainly not necessary. Horror is my favorite genre for movies, books, games, etc, so wicked, nasty terrible things are engaging to me. Except Bronies. Those are very disturbing and give me nightmares.

I usually like the juxtaposition of something innocent trapped in such a place. The last 5E D&D campaign I played in was Ravenloft. I played a kind, gentle, Neutral Good bard who loved people, life and felt no person was beyond redemption. It was a very rewarding experience to be challenged and stay hopeful throughout the bleak campaign.

Player Questionnaire:
    If you made it this far and are still interested, then you are almost done, and I thank you for your patience. Please complete the questionnaire below. If you are not able to answer everything then that is fine. It is just meant to give me a good idea of who you are and what you are looking for in a D&D campaign.

Thursday and Friday nights work best, but I can make any night work after 7 pm central time. I am new to Fantasy Grounds, but I do have an ultimate license.

-To think cleverly, strategically, or creatively to overcome obstacles or make obstacles easier to defeat.
    -Hey, I’m just here for friends and snacks. So, if I laugh hard and make others laugh, that is a good session.

If you have one, give an example of an event you enjoyed in a previous session you’ve player: One time I had a magical fire dagger and rolled an natural one while attacking. The dagger shatter releasing a djinn that granted me one wish. Took me about 10 mins real time to craft a wish that would not backfire. It felt intense but was fun. Sad that I lost that dagger though.

Give a summary of what kind of DM you prefer (i.e. laid back and focused on player enjoyment over all else, strict and focused on enforcing the rules over all else, somewhere in between): I prefer a laid back DM who is willing to teach and has patience.

-my character should be present and the DM should control them should combat occur

-I’m okay with failing a mission related to the overall campaign goals as long as we get new goals and those goals may be unrelated (e.g., survive the demon horde pouring through the gate; save/protect the McGuffin from the demon horde).
    -I’m only okay with failing side missions that are tangentially or only loosely related to main goals. Beyond that, I like a GM to keep us moving closer to a successful completion of the over all goal.

-When the character can be resurrected and eventually catch up to other characters in power level.

-Influence a large city
    -Influence a country
    -Influence a world

-Fight a war of defense
    -Save the world/universe
    -See the world
    -Avenge the wronged

-Writing session notes
    -Tracking NPC contacts

-Writing session notes
    -Tracking NPC contacts

As in any D&D game, there is always the likelihood of violence. Not everyone is comfortable with every style. I don’t want any players to be disturbed by the scenes/acts described by the DM or other players.

Last edited by BMKGohan; June 25th, 2020 at 20:01.

-Thursday or Friday are best, past 6PM EST

-To stay in character even when it might hurt me. To get and revel in the spotlight.

-More so Laid back, I dont mind following the rules, but I strongly believe DM's should follow the Rule of Cool, if the players come up with it, and it sounds feasible, it should be at least rollable.

-Either option works for me, I'm sure I could come up with a RP reason as to why my character is absent if needed.

-Succeeding is great, but so is failing! If failing wasn't(or doesn't feel) possible, then there isn't enough tension. I am okay with losing, often times it makes the story more interesting.

-Roleplaying is a big buy in for me, I am more interested in role-playing and "being in character" than combat

-Character death appropriateness is based on my character. If I play a cautious, careful, combat avoid, and combat savvy character, I expect those traits to help the character live longer. If I play a reckless foolish character, I expect death to catch up to the character eventually.

-Influence a large city
    - I am open to any of these option, I dont need me character to end up as a god or ruler.

-Fight a war of defense
    -Save the world/universe
    -See the world
    -Avenge the wronged
    -Protect the weak

-Writing session notes
    -Tracking NPC contacts

-Writing session notes
    -Tracking NPC contacts

I can take it if you can, though as you stated previously, often times these types of things are better implied then described.

Hey, everyone. Thank you all so much for your responses. I was worried I wouldnt even get enough for a full group but between the responses here and everywhere else I posted, that definitely wont be a problem. I will be going through all the responses today. Once I have sorted through them all, I will be reaching out to everyone to set up a 1 on 1 video chat, and then a group video chat for the final group. Thank you all for your patience.

Updated my response to the last question

I am interested in joining up for this I already have to skype into my current campaign (which i have no idea if its still going or not at this point) so the mic and video is not an issue.

I have had the chance to be an admin on a discord server so I have had a few characters. and to this day my favorite way to play is try to be as unpredictable as possible to my party, the DM, and myself. My characters tend to have a life of their own. I am versatile in classes but i get real enjoyment out of control casters or strong barbarian types.

I really enjoyed the entire experience expect for the not knowing when or if we were going to have another session. One of the players doesnt enjoy the RP aspect and thinks its pointless and just wants to get to the battling. I love to RP and having to solve problems without necessarily killing everyone.

I prefer a DM that is open to anything within the realm of possibility. Obviously there are restrictions in the world, and just because you got a Nat 20 does not mean you automatically know/succeed.

Personally it depends on the situation. If we stop a session and My character was present at the start of combat then he cant simply just disappear. but if we its plausible that he is off somewhere else and can be tied into the story/make the story better then by all means he can disappear.

I am ok with failing a goal due to the actions of the party/myself. though it would be nice to if the party were the ones who decided on the goal. that way it ways more heavily if we fail said goal.

Its realistic. My characters goals might not align with the groups goals which could cause the stress and possibly failure. that is how it could go if it were real.

(THE ONES LISTED ARE THE ONES I AGREE WITH) But as DM you have final decision.

and to add my own input. Character death is apart of DnD. If the Dice decide its time for Character to die then its time. Yes personally I might get upset and stressed because I do everything in my power to NOT DIE. but if i made an error and it bites me or the dice just dont roll well then I guess there is nothing that can be done about it. I will never hold a DM responsible for my short comings.

In all fairness. I have not put a character together yet. So i cannot answer this at the moment. As stated before my Characters tend to take on a life of their own as they evolve.

-Fight a war of defense
    -Save the world/universe
    -See the world
    -Get the McGuffin
    -Build a menagerie
    -Avenge the wronged
    -Protect the weak

Any and all can apply depending of how i decide to build my character.

-I like a well-planned, well balanced adventure and am willing to accept some railroading so the DM can meet that need.

Honestly as long as everyone is having a blast Improv is welcome. I have noticed that it tends to lead to more fun encounters.

-Writing session notes
    -Tracking NPC contacts
    I know that not everyone is good at everything. I have helped people iron out backstories. I have also gotten pretty good at looking up rules that come into question and have learned that rules are worded exactly as they are meant to sound. I REALLY enjoy helping newer people learn how to use their class efficiently and welcome any help my way as well.

-Tracking NPC contacts
    Im willing to help in anyway that will make things get more streamlined and enjoyable.

anything goes that moves the story forward. HOWEVER overly described or forced "Rapey" scenes are a huge no for me. Ive had an issue with this in the past. I like your idea of things being implied and not fully described.

Reading through your post I kept thinking "this sounds good" or "that's exactly how I run games". You sound very familiar to how I like to run things. Hopefully you believe that I would make a good player for your game!

Any weeknight works for me as I typically don't have plans during the week.

I play social games for two reasons A) have fun and B) make friends. I'm happy when others are having fun, and that's how I try to play.

My first ever game I decided to play a sorcerer and naturally as a new magic user I had to choose fireball. While exploring a mine we encountered a group of enemies. I thought that this was the perfect moment to try out my new spell. I proceeded to tell the DM I wanted to cast fireball at the group of enemies. He had me make an ability check and told me that due to the enclosed space and history of the mine this might not be a good scenario to use this spell. He recognized what kind of player I was, knew I was making a mistake, and gave hints on what might be a better option.

A previous GM I played with was somewhat inconsistent with his ruling based on a shared understanding of no homebrew. He made inconsistent rulings between enemy NPCs and PCs, told us about new homebrew rulings after the fact, and a few other things that happened.

I like to have a DM that has a passion for what they're doing and will make the game the players will enjoy. Whether that's being strict with the rules or playing a high fantasy with easy combat and intense roleplay, when the DM puts their passion into a game the players will enjoy it.

-I prefer my character be considered absent from the events of that session

The DM has enough on his plate. Having to manage and absent player isn't necessary

In the end my character may die, our group may end up enslaved, and in character we realize we're not heroes but ordinary people. We become humbled in death or otherwise, we all have to face defeat at some point.

I like having goals for the group and characters where those might not always be the same. It can create a powerful party dynamic and helps keep character agency if they have their own specific goals.

Death happens and sometimes it can't be avoided. You live by the dice, and you die by the dice.

-Influence a country
    -Influence a world

Assuming the game follows the stereotypical fantasy tropes and expectations, at the end I would expect a large scale country or entire planet destruction that needs to be stopped.

-Fight a war of defense
    -Save the world/universe
    -See the world
    -Get the McGuffin
    -Build a menagerie
    -Avenge the wronged
    -Protect the weak

I'm in it for the friends and fun, I'll play along with any campaign.

I like to have the feeling of verisimilitude and being able to make my own decisions and feel like they mean something is important.

-Writing session notes
    -Tracking NPC contacts

I've never written a character journal for a long time. I started doing it for one game before it was cancelled a couple months later. I love making characters that's a lot of fun for me. I always take notes primarily to help myself remember because I have a bad memory.

-Writing session notes
    -Tracking NPC contacts

I'm okay with anything as long as it's not extremely specific.

Thread Information