DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Crew and Mounted Weapons

Tonight we had a DL:R session involving some naval combat and ran in to the following situation:

The players have a maze runner (small ship, for those of you unfamiliar with DL:R) with some mounted weapons (Gatling guns, torpedo tubes). Before the encounter started, they stated which of the mounted weapons each character manned.
    On the vehicle record sheet, the attack die for each weapon is based on the captain's Shooting skill, which in our case happens to be higher than any of the other players'.

Since I couldn't find a way to assign crew to weapons/attacks on the vehicle sheet, we ended up adding the manned weapons to the character sheets of the corresponding crew member, so they could roll the mounted weapon attacks directly from the combat tab. The only problem with that was that if a player added a gatling gun from the equipment list, they either got the encumbrance from the gun if they had it equipped, or weren't able to see it in the combat tab if it wasn't equipped.

The "quick fix" we came up with was adding a new "mounted" versions of the weapons with Weight set to zero, and adding those to the characters.

Is there a better way to handle this?

Was the vehicle sheet locked?

copy vehicle unlock copy and you can add crew to weapons and driver/pilot
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

OK! The solution was obviously "too easy" for me

I never actually tried dragging a character to the weapon slot on the vehicle sheet. Even though the vehicle was unlocked (and a customized copy), I was looking for a placeholder like the one for the "Boater".

So, that works fine and I look forward to trying it out in or next session.

Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk View Post
    Was the vehicle sheet locked?

copy vehicle unlock copy and you can add crew to weapons and driver/pilot
    I'm running into this same problem. I'd like to add weapons and a crew to vehicles. Can you elaborate on "copy vehicle unlock copy" you said above. I'm not sure I understand. Thank you!
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

To copy, open the vehicles list and drag and drop the desired vehicle within the same list. That will create your own copy of the vehicle (you will see that is no longer tied to a module and shows up in the 'Uncategorized' group in the vehicle list).
    You can drag that copy to the inventory of a character if you want to designate an owner.
    Open the copy and click on the padlock icon right next to the vehicle name.
    Now you can edit the vehicle and drag characters to their assigned positions on the vehicle's combat tab.
    Hope that helps!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeWake View Post
    To copy, open the vehicles list and drag and drop the desired vehicle within the same list. That will create your own copy of the vehicle (you will see that is no longer tied to a module and shows up in the 'Uncategorized' group in the vehicle list).
    You can drag that copy to the inventory of a character if you want to designate an owner.
    Now you can edit the vehicle and drag characters to their assigned positions on the vehicle's combat tab.
    Hope that helps!
    Thanks, I appreciate the reply. So I can assign as many people as I want on the vehicle's combat tab? I tried it and it only let me put one person in, and assigned them the controller of the vehicle.
    Last edited by Niles; January 18th, 2021 at 01:31.

Blog Entries
    Hope that helps!
    Is it possible to drag more than one character on to the sheet? It's only letting me drag one and when I drag more, the new character just replaces the previous one as the operator.
    Last edited by Niles; January 18th, 2021 at 08:36.

You can assign the operator, who will provide the appropriate maneuvering skill, and one character per mounted weapon, providing the shooting skill for that weapon.
    That will make the vehicle work in the combat tracker and for chases.
    I'm guessing that you want to add 'other crew' or passengers as well, but I don't know if that is possible. If they are involved in a fight/chase on board the vehicle you would have to add them separately to the CT and move them along with the vehicle token if you're using maps to keep track of range.
    Unless they are driving/piloting/boating or using mounted weapons, there isn't any game mechanic affected by them being added to the vehicle sheet or not, so you just need to know that they are there and apply "unstable platform" or other effects as needed.

You can assign the operator, who will provide the appropriate maneuvering skill, and one character per mounted weapon, providing the shooting skill for that weapon.
    That will make the vehicle work in the combat tracker and for chases.
    I'm guessing that you want to add 'other crew' or passengers as well, but I don't know if that is possible. If they are involved in a fight/chase on board the vehicle you would have to add them separately to the CT and move them along with the vehicle token if you're using maps to keep track of range.
    Unless they are driving/piloting/boating or using mounted weapons, there isn't any game mechanic affected by them being added to the vehicle sheet or not, so you just need to know that they are there and apply "unstable platform" or other effects as needed.
    I am tossing my hat in here as I am not seeing it. If I have a ship that has autocannons and missiles, I cannot get it to have different people assigned to pilot, guns, and missiles when I tinker around. I can add a vehicle to their inventory. I can dropping someone into the Pilot slot, but it just uses the Pilot's stats for any weaponry on the ship. I had to duplicate the ship and give each PC a copy so they could do their thing. If there is a way to do it, I would love to see it (say with a couple of screen caps).

That was my original problem when I started this thread. There is nothing visible on the vehicle sheet that shows where to drop "gunners," as opposed to the operator where there is a box for the character.
    I was running Deadlands reloaded at the time, but I can check if it works in other settings as well. Which one are you running?

Thread Information