STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... Last

Generic Actions extension for Fantasy Grounds Unity 5E ruleset

Now in Forge.

Generic Actions Extension (Fantasy Grounds Unity)

GenericActions.png

This stand-alone extension for Fantasy Grounds adds basic actions as clickable buttons on player and non-player character sheets.

This extension unlocks the following functions:

• Adds the generic actions found in the 5e Player’s Handbook as buttons on the character sheet.
    • Includes: Grapple, Break Grapple, Shove, Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide, Ready, Search, and Use Object.
    • Generic actions that have checks or contesting rolls allow targeting creatures, and rolls are done automatically (completed in a similar manner to spell saving throws).
    • Checks and contesting rolls support the dice tower
    • NPC’s also gain these buttons on their character sheet —valuable for DMs or player-controlled sidekicks.

Verify options are used to insure the named operation going on cannot happen if out of ammo, Paralyzed, Stunned, Unconscious, Incapacitated, or Grappled (optional as grappling is nebulous on when it should prevent something based on DM preferences).

Updates:

[See .txt file for early updates and features]
    V1.47 - Bug - invisible flanking tokens were giving flanking advantage. Fixed.

V1.48 - Bug - Hide button was not taking into account armor disadvantages. Fixed.

V1.49 - Bug - shove should not prevent the roll if target is grappled - though on success I'll leave it to DM to figure out if they need to remove grappled state as it determines on what direction they are shoved (say a cliff is next to grappled guy and you push him in that direction but its still within reach of grappler - not making that decision for the DM).

V1.50 - FGU Bug - FGU has never put chat message about what is actually triggering the save roll - especially annoying for power saves (weapons with a save roll) as they cannot have any sounds tied to them. Not to mention wanting to see what actually triggered the save roll.

V1.51 - Bug - guarding against nil rRoll.sDesc in V1.50 changes.

V1.52 - FGU update - fixes to be able to work with FGU update.

New GenericActionsLayer.ext delivered with GenericActions.ext so it can be used in more than 5E -
    "Feature: Generic Actions Layer"
    (for the moment the 2E, 3.5E, 4E, 5E, PFRPG2, and SFRPG rulesets are supported)
    See end of txt file for more details.
    V1.10 - Features - New "Self" appended to any effect name so that the target (normal name) and source (self name) can be separated. This new "self" name cannot be extracted from CT effect so the display all effects map button will only find non "self" name matches. Not sure what to do about that for now (I'm just making a non self name where required - still not perfect). If you add "Keep" to end of any asset name it will be stored as a separate layer "GA_<name>_<source name>". This new name will check vs any delete node operation to see if it has is an "%.effects.%id" node path and then determine the CT node and label value from that - then form and check the name vs existing layer names and remove any match. How I plan to use this to keep my lazy DM ways is for example - my player Cirrus will do a Fog Cloud spell (I use advantagesPA extension) by using a ptr shape of circle to place where they want the fog cloud - then select targets and apply the effects which will trigger an asset name match on FogCloudPTRCircleKeep.webm and place that 20ft cloud scaled to circle placed in a map layer called GA_fogcloud_Cirrus. When the concentration effect expires or is deleted the layer will be found and also be deleted. The other default layer names have also been shortened so they can be seen (limited MAP UI to display name no way to see full name). The new names are "GA" , "GA Ptr", and "GA Effect". Also when a PTR Keep asset is placed it will check if the original name matches an NPC name and if it does it will place that NPC in the CT and at the center of the PTR. And when that PTR Keep asset is removed it will also check for the matchin NPC and remove it completely also. As I plan to use it - I will have for example a Fog Cloud NPC that has an AURA effect on it - so that when the Fog Cloud effect is reset (without changing duration of course unless you have duplicate effects allowed) it will appear to move the Fog Cloud Asset and the NPC associated with it (invisible). And when effect is removed it will remove the asset and the NPC (including its aura effects on anything). I do this by also using AURA and Equipped Effect Extension for most of these keep type of NPCs. While Fog Cloud NPC does not require AURA as I define it to have a trait defined as Fog Cloud and a custom effect defined as "Fog Cloud; LIGHT: 20/20 darkness". My Flaming Sphere NPC however requires AURA as I have a trait defined as Flaming Sphere and a custom effect defined as "Flaming Sphere; (C); AURA: 5 all; Flaming Sphere; SAVEA: [SDC] DEX (H)(M); SAVEE: [SDC] DEX (H)(M); SAVEDMG: 2d6 fire". The Keep naming option is just a tool and provides you ways to do lots of things. For instance, I may have an invisible assistant GM PC that has a number of traits and custom effects which allow me to trigger keep PTRs asset placement based on pretty much anything I want and simply remove them by removing the effect from my dummy PC (or NPC). Of course, the downside of tools are they allow you to do truly stupid things. I suspect some nut will have 1000 targets and trigger assets and NPCs for each one of them until their map runs out of memory and drops dead. Back up your projects which include your maps IMHO or suffer the consequences.

V1.11 - Bug - Display effect assets button was deleting PTRs instead of just effects. Fixed. Other general fixes.

V1.12 - Feature - if (P) appears in effect name and it happens to trigger a Keep generic actions asset then it will treat that asset as permanent until the effect itself is deleted. Personally, I can see so many uses for this I'm not going to bother to enumerate them. For sure my examples will have a WayPointSelfKeep.webm and a WayPointSelfPTRCircleKeep.webm that I tested with - but that is truly only a trivial use I can see for this power.

V1.13 - Bug - Cannot remove selection to hide targeting arrow so asset can be seen better as this effects vision. Will have to let targeting arrow overlay the asset for now.

V1.14 - Feature - new option "Asset: Generic Action Layer NPC faction will be none" defaulted to "on". While I originally used AURA/BCEG tied to NPCs for mines in SW5E where the faction is required to be the faction of what placed it - I can see no harm in allowing NPCs to be placed with none in other campaigns as it will not effect my definition of what the AURA effects are one way or the other (I don't use none but instead depend on things respecting the non targetable aspect of the NPC token) and I can just turn it off in places I need the NPC to have a faction so it can have more power in the AURA discrimination of friendfoe.

V1.15 - Bug/Feature - the attempt to make the NPC non targetable failed so took a completely different tact. If the effect "NOTARGETING" is present (NPC proxy will have it added in) in the CT entry then no targeting will be allowed (ctrl click on map or ctrl click on CT to target) and will be set back to not targeted. AuraEffect.isAuraApplicable function in AURA extension has also been overwritten to respect this effect. If its there - targeting (and Aura application) will not take effect - if its not there it will. Simple but deadly. Use this extension and feature at your own risk - ye be warned.

V1.16 - Bug/FGU update - something changed in FGU update (test) that caused error. Fixed. As it works in LIVE and TEST for fix will just deliver now.

V1.17 - Bug - FGU does not consistently call ruleset code for hasEffect and hasCondition (hasEffectCondition in 5E). KLUDGED. Not saying fixed.

V1.18 - FGU update - fixes for FGU update.

Grim Press video.

A video made for my own entertainment...
    https://youtu.be/ZS7wImwotnk

New layers playlist of videos I've made...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Al...JFTxN9LNyJeLZ2

Grim Press will be handling the sales and promotion of this extension.
    If you'd like to engage with us, please feel free to join the Grim Press discord: https://discord.gg/N7MM93a

Extensions = RISK: This note is added to all the extensions I maintain. I want users to understand that extensions are code that is added to or overrides portions of code in the Fantasy Grounds Unity (FGU) application. When the underlying code in FGU changes it can break an extension. When you run with other extensions they can conflict by trying to overwrite the same parts of the FGU code. I will keep my extensions working with FGU changes, and the extensions I use (listed in my FGU signature) as I have direct control over those things. I cannot make the same promise with other extensions. If I am notified of an incompatibility I will attempt to resolve it - but if I cannot I will list what the known extension incompatibilities are. Understand before you get any extensions that it comes with RISK. Not just my extensions - any extension. These extensions are also maintained by me for me. I provide them outside of my own games purely to those who wish to take advantages of things I use for myself.

Included is original text used for describing this extension - has a lot of details but really provided for reference if needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SilentRuin; February 19th, 2024 at 01:03. Reason: Title edited per author's request

Blog Entries
    Sure, go ahead and include a video and a cover image. All is good

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Very cool you've taken the step onto DMs Guild.

One question - is this purely for the 5E ruleset or will this work in CoreRPG or other CoreRPG rulesets? The functionality looks pretty much tied to D&D 5e. If that's the case I'd recommend removing the mention of CoreRPG otherwise people might think they can use this with any CoreRPG ruleset.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Very cool you've taken the step onto DMs Guild.

One question - is this purely for the 5E ruleset or will this work in CoreRPG or other CoreRPG rulesets? The functionality looks pretty much tied to D&D 5e. If that's the case I'd recommend removing the mention of CoreRPG otherwise people might think they can use this with any CoreRPG ruleset.
    I only run with Fantasy Grounds Unity 5E/CoreRPG of which the extension references some specific messages and icons in both 5E and CoreRPG for display purposes. For sure it's tied to D&D 5E as the generic actions are all specific to that rule set and the player handbook references. As I was given permission to put more in than just the link I'm adding the video and cover page to the first post next after I reply here.

As far as the CoreRPG reference, you can't run 5E without CoreRPG. And I reference strings/icons from both rulesets - plus specific code in each. My statement is literally everything you need to run the extension...

UNITY
    5E
    CoreRPG

It can't live without any of them.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; June 23rd, 2020 at 18:32.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

This looks great. Well done. I'm not sure I like the Search button automatically switching between perception/investigation. As a DM I know I prefer to tell my characters which to roll depending on how they describe their actions. also for the stealth checks, if done against a target, does it roll a contested stealth vs perception?
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I only run with Fantasy Grounds Unity 5E/CoreRPG of which the extension references some specific messages and icons in both 5E and CoreRPG for display purposes. For sure it's tied to D&D 5E as the generic actions are all specific to that rule set and the player handbook references. As I was given permission to put more in that just the link I'm adding the video and cover page to the first post next after I reply here.
    In that case my recommendation stands. Your extension is only compatible with the 5E ruleset. Sure, 5E runs on top of CoreRPG, but your extension only works in 5E. My strong recommendation to you is to remove references to CoreRPG - this will not work in CoreRPG games. At the least, you'll avoid people asking "Can I run this in my CoreRPG based campaign?" , but I think you'll more than likely get lots of comments (and poor reviews) based off people trying it in CoreRPG and it not working. Removing any reference to CoreRPG is the best, and most accurate, approach.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    This looks great. Well done. I'm not sure I like the Search button automatically switching between perception/investigation. As a DM I know I prefer to tell my characters which to roll depending on how they describe their actions. also for the stealth checks, if done against a target, does it roll a contested stealth vs perception?
    I actually thought about DM's who do not take "best of" skills in any of those die rolls and figured if they wanted to do pure checks off the main page - nothing stops them. Even my players mix between the search and specific checks as they prefer.

For sure that is call for DM and nothing in this extension prevents that call.

This is more along the lines of my cover page - these are actions available for use. And my players rarely used them. Heck, I rarely used them myself. But with them front and center as part of the Actions you have available - my players use them a lot more. Especially, in curse of strahd where character wipes are a close "thing" in almost every major encounter unless you play it very smart.

But yes, some DM's may want to divide out Search or Hide or any of the other "best of" single or VS die rolls into specifics. You can. The normal main page checks. But for those who want to simply take the "best of" this is much simpler.

And I'm all about what makes my life simpler as a DM

Plus, the play styles of my players have actually changed since I introduced this. Help is now used. Along with Dash, disengage (pesky opportunity attacks thwarted), and all the other infrequent "out of sight, out of mind" actions. And while I've not truly used it in my NPC's yet, I will.

When it makes sense, because I now have the easy option.

Imagine the surprise when that key strong critter in a pack of intelligent critters suddenly gets Help advantage... MUAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAH.. (cough)... sorry.

Got carried away there
    Last edited by SilentRuin; June 23rd, 2020 at 18:59.

In that case my recommendation stands. Your extension is only compatible with the 5E ruleset. Sure, 5E runs on top of CoreRPG, but your extension only works in 5E. My strong recommendation to you is to remove references to CoreRPG - this will not work in CoreRPG games. At the least, you'll avoid people asking "Can I run this in my CoreRPG based campaign?" , but I think you'll more than likely get lots of comments (and poor reviews) based off people trying it in CoreRPG and it not working. Removing any reference to CoreRPG is the best, and most accurate, approach.
    Will simply putting in a comment like I did about Unity work? I'm was a developer by trade before I retired and it really does not sit well with me not listing things my extension is REQUIRED to run with. What do you think?

I added in the extra warning to this and my page description in DMsG.

ONLY TESTED IN UNITY.

ONLY WORKS WITH D&D 5E.

RUNS WITH FANTASY GROUNDS UNITY. USES BOTH 5E AND CORERPG RULESETS.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; June 23rd, 2020 at 18:56.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Will simply putting in a comment like I did about Unity work? I'm was a developer by trade before I retired and it really does not sit well with me not listing things my extension is REQUIRED to run with. What do you think?
    Listing CoreRPG means nothing in terms of functionality, and it could create confusion and problems for you. It only works with the 5E ruleset, just list the 5E ruleset, don't mention CoreRPG at all. 5E will not run without CoreRPG, it's not like anyone can make a decision to run 5E without CorerPG - they' can't. Your extension is even tagged to just run in 5E - it won't appear as an option for a CoreRPG campaign. I really don't see why you want to have CoreRPG in there.

You reached out prior to posting on DMs Guild for guidance. This is simply me trying to help you to avoid issues. I've been supporting FG products on these forums for 6 years and my experience is that people see things and don't read details. So if someone sees "CoreRPG" somewhere they'll think it will run with just CoreRPG - even if you mention it doesn't elsewhere. You gain nothing by mentioning CoreRPG, other than a bunch of headaches and confusion.

Listing CoreRPG means nothing in terms of functionality, and it could create confusion and problems for you. It only works with the 5E ruleset, just list the 5E ruleset, don't mention CoreRPG at all. 5E will not run without CoreRPG, it's not like anyone can make a decision to run 5E without CorerPG - they' can't. Your extension is even tagged to just run in 5E - it won't appear as an option for a CoreRPG campaign. I really don't see why you want to have CoreRPG in there.

You reached out prior to posting on DMs Guild for guidance. This is simply me trying to help you to avoid issues. I've been supporting FG products on these forums for 6 years and my experience is that people see things and don't read details. So if someone sees "CoreRPG" somewhere they'll think it will run with just CoreRPG - even if you mention it doesn't elsewhere. You gain nothing by mentioning CoreRPG, other than a bunch of headaches and confusion.
    I have edited it all. Except the title thread of this post - how do I edit the thread title of an existing forum post? Can I get a mod to change it to...

Generic Actions extension for Fantasy Grounds Unity 5E ruleset

Also, the title of DMsG was changed and now shows (just don't look at the link name as that is permanent).

[Figured out my forums stuff - "Go Advanced" answered the questions I've deleted in this post. Now I just need to figure out how to rename the thread.]
    Last edited by SilentRuin; June 23rd, 2020 at 20:19.

Thread Information