DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 10 of 33 First ... 8910111220 ... Last
    I think we agree on the mechanics, but not necessarily how it should be implemented. I think having a "Readied Spell (C)" action/effect button would be extremely helpful. With a spellcaster only able to concentrate on a single spell at a time, Its less important for me as the DM to see which readied spell they are concentrating on, that would be declared when they state their action. But having it auto track that a readied spell was disrupted would be very helpful as its easy to forget if not tracked. Even if you choose not to add a Readied Spell (C) action button, I'll still have my players create a power with that and use it. It seems to offer a significant benefit over the default lack of tracking readied concentration.

If there is a way to remove existing concentration effects when a new one is added, that would be cool too.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    I think we agree on the mechanics, but not necessarily how it should be implemented. I think having a "Readied Spell (C)" action/effect button would be extremely helpful. With a spellcaster only able to concentrate on a single spell at a time, Its less important for me as the DM to see which readied spell they are concentrating on, that would be declared when they state their action. But having it auto track that a readied spell was disrupted would be very helpful as its easy to forget if not tracked. Even if you choose not to add a Readied Spell (C) action button, I'll still have my players create a power with that and use it. It seems to offer a significant benefit over the default lack of tracking readied concentration.

If there is a way to remove existing concentration effects when a new one is added, that would be cool too.
    How it would have to be implemented would be how I implemented all my spell work in Polymorphism. Any concentration spell would have to have to make sure it had the source node that generated it, any application of concentration would have to kill all others from that source node, and that is no small thing. I do that in my other extension because I have full control of the spells involved and can fully implement this for "my stuff only". To do it for every spell there is that does concentration would be an extension all by itself. For example, this is one tiny part of the concentration logic where I stop other concentration effects in polymorphism...

Code:
    		local aSelfEffects = {};
    		local aSourceConcentrationEffects = ActionSave.getConcentrationEffects(rSourceActor);
    		for _,v in ipairs(aSourceConcentrationEffects) do
    			if v.nodeCT == rSourceActorCT then
    				table.insert(aSelfEffects, { nodeCT = v.nodeCT, nodeEffect = v.nodeEffect });
    			else
    				EffectManager.expireEffect(v.nodeCT, v.nodeEffect, 0);
    			end
    		end
    		for _,v in ipairs(aSelfEffects) do
    			EffectManager.expireEffect(v.nodeCT, v.nodeEffect, 0);
    		end
    To fully implement this correctly as you would have me do would require this type of logic across the code to insure that any concentration effect killed any others by the source node, that it placed the effect with the appropriate source node, that it supported dropping a spell from "spells" onto the ready button and recorded the name with "Ready" in front of the name with (C) and the relevant source node. It would require it to be killed any time any other concentration effect by that source node was attempted (not put into effect - attempted) which FGU does NOT do currently - would have to do all that myself. It would have to have some trigger logic that based on the Ready<spellname> (C) would kick off that spell and replace that effect with the real one or nothing if it failed. It would then be logical to support a big text note in Ready that told you the specfics of what they were reading and put it in chat regardless if it was a spell or not.

Point being - the reason I don't do "distance in the map" and some features described in the PHB specifics is the same reason FGU does not do a lot of these things. To many variables, the DM has too many options that can't all be covered easily by code. In those instances, I either partially implement what I can - or don't implement it at all except by a "notify of intent".

I'm not going to wreck my own extensions (polymorphism) which currently handle (C) things correctly by incorrectly implementing a concentration effect sabotaging my own session game play. Some day FGU may properly implement (C) effects - but they don't right now. I do in something I have full control over. This ready action? That can be anything. As I said - I'm not willing to step into that morass partially implementing it.

Maybe someday I'll make an extension that FULLY implements (C) effects across the board - but it would likely be dependent on specific spell effect properly defining the (C) effect everywhere and implementing a STOP CONCENTRATION button as I do in polymorphism all over the place.

Gist being - this is not the extension that is going to embark on the task.

Ready is just a notification of intent. This extension solves some of the missing functionality in FGU - not all of it. Nor will it unless it is clear cut and simple to implement. What your asking? Is not simple. Even if you would accept the partial solution - I would not.

Personally I remember it or have them enter in chat or add my own dummy effect. For sure you can go into upper right and add a custom effect ReadyEffect (C) for 1 turn and simply click on it if that is what you want. For sure I don't want that - and in the end - the extension is for my game playing style where I want (C) effects to be real and correctly defined and implemented - or leave it to the DM to do. In this case, its up to the DM.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; September 17th, 2020 at 15:42.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I'm introducing one of my players to 5e for the first time with this new campaign, and having the basic actions on the sheet with automation is awesome. Well worth the cost of a coffee. Thanks for making this

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
    I'm introducing one of my players to 5e for the first time with this new campaign, and having the basic actions on the sheet with automation is awesome. Well worth the cost of a coffee. Thanks for making this
    No worries - made all my extensions in my signature for my own use anyway. My first campaign in FGU has my players entering Vallaki in curse of strahd soon and these are the extensions I felt compelled to make so far. If something annoys me as we progress, you can bet I'll write an extension for it. Honestly though, hoping we have smooth sailing now and I can take a break from writing these things I use to achieve the zen of the lazy DM

I was looking through your code to add:
    Insightful Fighting
    At 3rd level, you gain the ability to decipher an opponent’s tactics and develop a counter to them. As a bonus action, you make a Wisdom (Insight) check against a creature you can see that isn’t incapacitated, contested by the target’s Charisma (Deception) check. If you succeed, you can use your Sneak Attack against that target even if you don't have advantage on the attack roll, but not if you have disadvantage on it.

But all I ended up doing was breaking it. LOL. How hard would it be to add a insight vs deception?

Quote Originally Posted by arcanjl View Post
    I was looking through your code to add:
    Insightful Fighting
    At 3rd level, you gain the ability to decipher an opponent’s tactics and develop a counter to them. As a bonus action, you make a Wisdom (Insight) check against a creature you can see that isn’t incapacitated, contested by the target’s Charisma (Deception) check. If you succeed, you can use your Sneak Attack against that target even if you don't have advantage on the attack roll, but not if you have disadvantage on it.

But all I ended up doing was breaking it. LOL. How hard would it be to add a insight vs deception?
    This extension is just for literal actions that are part of the Players Handbook actions that FGU did not provide. There are a million different special case rolls you could expand things into but I intentionally stayed away from anything not in RAW PHB actions section. And also steered clear of anything that had a lot of special cases to it (you'll notice it never even tries to adjust anything distance related and some of the buttons are purely to make a notification of intentions because there are to many variables in them).

Gist being, even though I know how to do that it won't be going in this particular extension. Having said that - I heavily commented the code and you should be able to modify it however you wish for your own uses. That's actually how I learned to code in FGU by examples and a lot of trial and error.

I made one generic die roll in there but there are plenty of examples in these forums and in my own code of how it is done. The problem is FGU die rolls are always branched off in stages - its not like your just writing code that does it in a linear manner. You kick off OOB messages to execute at the host which do one thing and then they write out results completely separately from your main branch of logic - which means you have to design your code with that in mind. Its not like it ever comes back from the processing of the OOB message to your original code. It just tosses that message out and carries on. You have to design all your logic following that OOB message until it completes. Unless you play even weirder games. To make special results like I did I could not actually use the canned dice rolls completely as you can see in the code. I had to make my own. Which is what you have to do if you want to control the process from beginning to end (and do logic in between stages of it).

Probably just confused you more. But its not hard once you understand the logic flow of OOB messages which are a key part of dice rolls. You just have to get creative if you want to do more than one thing during and after the roll (i.e. can't use the canned functions that just roll it and toss out results to chat). If you have specific questions and post an example of the code in your extension in the forums under the workshop area - you will get people to help you. Even me if I happen to see it.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; October 3rd, 2020 at 22:55.

Wow thank you for that response and the guidance, I will get to grinding

New fix to this extension

V 1.8 - PC and NPC code to determine skills was changed to fix bugs where NPC was not parsing skill text. Result is when a skill proficiency is set in PC/NPC it will use the proper modification value, otherwise it will use normal stats per PHB for the relevant die roll.

May have come up before but in case it hasnt...
    If I grapple someone and succeed and wish to then move them to the edge of a cliff and drop them, I would normally then use shove
    But when I try it says you cannot shove a grappled target
    So how should this be resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by mordkhaan View Post
    May have come up before but in case it hasnt...
    If I grapple someone and succeed and wish to then move them to the edge of a cliff and drop them, I would normally then use shove
    But when I try it says you cannot shove a grappled target
    So how should this be resolved?
    I can honestly say I’ve never been asked this before.

You tell your DM “I stop grappling”.

At which point they delete the effect.

Then you do whatever it is your going todo.

Thread Information