5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Strong recommendation of the AAW map tile packs from a DM perspective

Short> Moved to Unity. Raged like mad, made it stabilize, still hicups but what makes it worth it is a few things.

First things first regarding Unity: Do NOT run any, any extensions. Do this and you will have a much better game experience close to free from issues.

Now to the title>

What I love abouot Unity and the indie developers crating maps out there is a few map packs that I recommend anyone to buy.
    No Im not affiliated with them but: The AAW Map pack with tile sets. medieval castles, Sewers, catacombs, there is also a desert map pack you can use the Night time tiles for artic or simply change the color of tiles from sand yellow day light to white snowy, works like a charm.

What makes those so nice is the inbuilt line of sight and the freedom of creativity.

Im terrible at these things and have little patience, but I..ME..MOI..was able to build large maps that would span 3-5 player sessions just to go through, in under 1 hour.
    UNDER 1 hour i create maps that, I cant even buy. I have browsed endless maps, spent 10th of hours finding the right map, and the tile sets from AAW that unfourtenately only works within unity, blows them all out of the water. Yes it takes your time, your creativity, but when you have a few of them the combinations you can make, the beautiful art from these maps, the inbuilt Line of sight.

The players I been with have praised these and I cant be more pleased with a product.
    Trust me, after I bought them I was "What the heck is this" and I went coyping .jpg pictures, saving to maps, bought even other map packs that lets be honest, 90% of the maps sold here in the store are mediocre at best, most are just bad with immense lack of creativity or artistic mind. SOme are beautiful art but again, those tile sets...get them, learn to use them.
    After building 3 tile maps Im now able to build an entire dungeon in 30 minutes. Im loving it and is THE strongest sell point for me to run Unity right now, and its not Unity itself but those AAW Tile map packs.

I used the Medieval castle to create an entire dwarven settlement, and I used the Sand dune maps, changed color and made beautiful artic maps from them.
    Just a recommendation from one DM to the other that want to really ensure you get the right athmosphere and is not afraid to put in an extra hour, often less, of work.
    I just wish there was a way to share them since just the very first catacomb dunegon map I created, there is not even anywhere a map like that to buy, anywhere. Its that good.

Wonderful job on those boys.Strong S+ from me
    Last edited by Gissur; June 22nd, 2020 at 06:05.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Gissur. Jonathan at AAW Games and Antal at Black Scroll Games have some really nice content and they both work really hard on their content.

Thanks for the recommendation Gissur. I'm currently running Curse of Strahd, and so my need for custom maps is limited currently. But hopefully we'll be finishing that up and moving to something more homebrew by the end of the year, and will get to play with these tools more then.

I couldn't agree more.

These map packs are exactly what I was looking for. I don't have the time (or artistic ability) to make good maps on the fly. With these tools; it is quick, easy, and even fun; to make any size map.

Now I can easily create beautiful maps without having to learn some confusing software that takes years to master. Thank you to all the awesome content creators out there, and keep up the great work.

Ps. I make maps in unity, and screen capture the image at full screen, for use in classic edition as well. No line of sight, true, but still useful maps

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Thanks Gissur. Jonathan at AAW Games and Antal at Black Scroll Games have some really nice content and they both work really hard on their content.
    Your welcome. I am not an artist when it comes to these things I am however a content creator for DnD but I never sold or shared anything outside the groups I played with. its a hobby, and Im a hobby writer on the side.

Should do something together.

Used to save everything on the side but started to really utilize the quest, notes parcel and encounter tabs in Fantasy grounds and its so easy. Combine this with beautiful maps and its great.
    Last edited by Gissur; June 22nd, 2020 at 21:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Fear Grounds View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

These map packs are exactly what I was looking for. I don't have the time (or artistic ability) to make good maps on the fly. With these tools; it is quick, easy, and even fun; to make any size map.

Now I can easily create beautiful maps without having to learn some confusing software that takes years to master. Thank you to all the awesome content creators out there, and keep up the great work.

Ps. I make maps in unity, and screen capture the image at full screen, for use in classic edition as well. No line of sight, true, but still useful maps
    This is a great idea too for use in Classic. I do run one campaign in classic now that is on hold and we had to try dungeon of the mad mage. The maps however, I get it the maps are huge but its black lines drawn on white paper with zero content in between the lines but text. Alot of theatre of the mind which is fine but...I think when you combine theatre of the mind with nice art, it just makes a much more fun and stimulating experience for DM and players alike.

So I've downloaded these AAW sewer pack and a few others I bought, but they went to my FG instead of FGU. Not sure why, but they are FGU programs. Some guidance would be great on getting them into FGU.

Blog Entries
    Update FGU. Everything from the FG store will download to both FGC and FGU, depending upon which one you run the update from.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Found it, I thought it'd be in Library. But in Assets.

To find them in unity, click the Assets button, just above library.

Click Images in the Asset window.

Assets.jpg

Thread Information