FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by theadept024 View Post
    I am not talking about something old, like D&D 2nd edition. (I bought a module for that and immediately wish I hadn't. There is basically nothing in that ruleset)
    I'm curious what you mean by this. The AD&D 2E PHB/DMG/MM have practically everything coded, spells, npcs, items/etc. More so than any other ruleset I suspect.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Alright, maybe I'm being unreasonable. When I watched the sizzle reel for Fantasy Grounds, I was fascinated by the casting of Fireball. I was like, "Wow" and I am sure a lot of people were as well. It did not explicitly say, "we code everything that our scripting could code" and I suppose that is on me. I saw more in the advertising, "Prep Less, Play More" when that's really not the case. It's just a different kind of Prepping. But that's on me, I saw the hype and made assumptions that Smiteworks made this toolset and they sell these books, and I made the assumption that these books they sell would utilize their toolset. I suppose that was too much for me to ask. This is essentially the crux of my frustration. It's not what was said, it was what was implied. And I have been utilizing the FG toolset for a lot longer than 30 days. I honestly was just curious why PF was not set up as well as 5e... You've answered it. I appreciate the info.

Kelrugem, costs are what they are. I know that I, ONE PERSON has given SmiteWorks hundreds of dollars for books and for the Licenses for their software. So, if they're not making enough money off of me, I am sorry. But like I said, that's **A LOT** of money for me. I expect good value for that money. Obviously, you all feel like my expectations are unreasonable, which is fine. You all were able to answer my questions, which I appreciate greatly. It does not make me feel better that I paid all of this money for products that are known to be, IMHO, incomplete, but it is what it is. If I don't like it, I can stop using it and that is that. Or, I guess, I can become a pro-bono copy editor.

Alright, maybe I'm being unreasonable. When I watched the sizzle reel for Fantasy Grounds, I was fascinated by the casting of Fireball. I was like, "Wow" and I am sure a lot of people were as well. It did not explicitly say, "we code everything that our scripting could code" and I suppose that is on me. I saw more in the advertising, "Prep Less, Play More" when that's really not the case. It's just a different kind of Prepping. But that's on me, I saw the hype and made assumptions that Smiteworks made this toolset and they sell these books, and I made the assumption that these books they sell would utilize their toolset. I suppose that was too much for me to ask. This is essentially the crux of my frustration. It's not what was said, it was what was implied. And I have been utilizing the FG toolset for a lot longer than 30 days. I honestly was just curious why PF was not set up as well as 5e... You've answered it. I appreciate the info.

Kelrugem, costs are what they are. I know that I, ONE PERSON has given SmiteWorks hundreds of dollars for books and for the Licenses for their software. So, if they're not making enough money off of me, I am sorry. But like I said, that's **A LOT** of money for me. I expect good value for that money. Obviously, you all feel like my expectations are unreasonable, which is fine. You all were able to answer my questions, which I appreciate greatly. It does not make me feel better that I paid all of this money for products that are known to be, IMHO, incomplete, but it is what it is. If I don't like it, I can stop using it and that is that. Or, I guess, I can become a pro-bono copy editor.
    No worries, I can certainly understand you (and all others probably, too) Of course you still determine the wanted outcome of 50$ yourself, I just wanted to emphasize also the other side Basically I wanted to point out that the problem is really that we speak about a market with too small income in general

Indeed, also for me it is not less preparation, but solely when it is about what one has to do before the session. I mean, either you run the games as in face-to-face games, then FG is certainly a time-saver when you purchase the corresponding AP module for example When you also want to have the most of the automation then you need to prepare more. So, indeed, the preparation is different then because you prepare automation. But the biggest distinction, and for me personally the biggest selling point of FG, is that this time you spend for automation you later gain back, combats run much faster, more time for roleplay, less focusing on combat mechanics, and more of the play in general The data you entered can easily be used later on because it is saved So, even though you invest time you still get a bit of it back later on, the longer you play with the same data the more you get back

But that is of course not really visible in the slogan "Prep less, play more"; here I am completely on your side. Slogans often have the risk that they are completely misunderstood, and then they lead to confusion. Gladly, FG then offers a 30-days refund guarantee (though you are already over the 30 days seemingly, so, I hope you can see the mentioned "time-saving" later one as I described Then you hopefully do not feel so bad about the money lost anymore)

EDIT: And with FGU comes also some time-saving when it is about mapmaking (I can draw a firewall in just some seconds! that is pretty cool )
    Last edited by Kelrugem; June 22nd, 2020 at 17:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    No worries, I can certainly understand you (and all others probably, too) Of course you still determine the wanted outcome of 50$ yourself, I just wanted to emphasize also the other side Basically I wanted to point out that the problem is really that we speak about a market with too small income in general

Indeed, also for me it is not less preparation, but solely when it is about what one has to do before the session. I mean, either you run the games as in face-to-face games, then FG is certainly a time-saver when you purchase the corresponding AP module for example When you also want to have the most of the automation then you need to prepare more. So, indeed, the preparation is different then because you prepare automation. But the biggest distinction, and for me personally the biggest selling point of FG, is that this time you spend for automation you later gain back, combats run much faster, more time for roleplay, less focusing on combat mechanics, and more of the play in general The data you entered can easily be used later on because it is saved So, even though you invest time you still get a bit of it back later on, the longer you play with the same data the more you get back

But that is of course not really visible in the slogan "Prep less, play more"; here I am completely on your side. Slogans often have the risk that they are completely misunderstood, and then they lead to confusion. Gladly, FG then offers a 30-days refund guarantee (though you are already over the 30 days seemingly, so, I hope you can see the mentioned "time-saving" later one as I described Then you hopefully do not feel so bad about the money lost anymore)
    That's a great question that you all may be able to answer! Is there a way to save MY changes to the automation for my own games? If I go through coding Grease on my host machine, is there a way to save it so i don't have to code it EACH time?

That's a great question that you all may be able to answer! Is there a way to save MY changes to the automation for my own games? If I go through coding Grease on my host machine, is there a way to save it so i don't have to code it EACH time?
    You probably mean spells? Yes, you probably create the spell with its effects in some action tab; there is its pin on the very right in the actions tab. Drag&drop this pin into the spells' window in the sidebar (in some custom group for easy filtering later on for example). That will make a copy there (you can then adjust the formatting of the description) of the spell, but with your actions and effects! When you later drag&drop this new spell entry into some character sheet then it will parse your definition of automation, the parser of FG will basically not overwrite your own actions then I also often drag&drop "spells" for item actions into the item's description to find my prepared actions easily later on (you can then drag&drop from the item description into the actions tab to get your own defined effects; similarly for all other things)

Do you also know how to make modules? With that you can export your spells etc. in a custom module such that you can easily load your custom things in any other campaign Then you never need to redo it, not even in another campaign (Therefore I have a campaign just for making my campaign modules where I can just press "export all" and it overwrite my modules which are loaded in other campaigns, in that way all changes are immediately applied to all my campaigns )

EDIT: you can also drag&drop from one character sheet to another one to automatically create the same effects etc. there

EDIT2: Basically, you can nearly drag&drop everything everywhere to make copies of your stuff etc. and to save them properly in your custom compendium
    Last edited by Kelrugem; June 22nd, 2020 at 17:17.

Blog Entries
    In regards to creating modules, there is a link in my signature about some best practices. Though it doesn't really have a detailed section on Spell creation, if anyone would like suggest information for such, I would be happy to add it. Please just post in that thread and I will look into it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information