FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Where are my tokens? The data folder restructuring change in version 2

Version 2 incorporates a change that separates program files from user data files. This greatly improves usability on Windows Vista and also should make any backups/transfers or such you want to make with your personal data a bit easier.

All the executable files and other system files are located traditionally under the windows program files folder. However, all data files now reside under the application data folder.

You can find the application data folder for FG by navigating to the folder that is at the following location on most windows XP installs (Please note that the "Application Data" folder is hidden by default for some reason):
    C:\Documents and Settings\[Account name]\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II

Windows Vista should have a separate shortcut like My Documents pointing to this location.

There is also a shortcut to the folder in the Fantasy Grounds II start menu group.

The types of files contained in the data folder are:
    • Campaigns
    • Local characters
    • Modules
    • Portraits
    • Ruleset
    • Tokens
    • Screenshots
    Tero Parvinen
    Fantasy Grounds Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin-King
    Version 2 incorporates a change that separates program files from user data files. This greatly improves usability on Windows Vista and also should make any backups/transfers or such you want to make with your personal data a bit easier.

All the executable files and other system files are located traditionally under the windows program files folder. However, all data files now reside under the application data folder.

You can find the application data folder for FG by navigating to the folder that is at the following location on most windows XP installs (Please note that the "Application Data" folder is hidden by default for some reason):
    C:\Documents and Settings\[Account name]\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II

Windows Vista should have a separate shortcut like My Documents pointing to this location.

There is also a shortcut to the folder in the Fantasy Grounds II start menu group.

The types of files contained in the data folder are:
    • Campaigns
    • Local characters
    • Modules
    • Portraits
    • Ruleset
    • Tokens
    • Screenshots
    Where is the short cut in vista?

All I get is access denied when I manually enter the path...

(My Lite licence on XP is no problem though!)

Why not have just used My Documents instead?
    Last edited by Doswelk; April 23rd, 2007 at 15:47.

The Vista path is:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II

There should be a shortcut on your start menu under FG2's entry to this - there is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Illrigger
    The Vista path is:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II

There should be a shortcut on your start menu under FG2's entry to this - there is for me.
    D'oh.

I'm still getting to grips with Vista (And it's my job!)

Thanks for that, for some reason on my domain laptop the shortcut did not appear on the first install, but it's there on my home machine.....

<wanders away feeling sheepish>

I suspect I know the answer to this...

I suspect I know the answer to this, but is there any option for keeping the FGII data in the FGII install directory?

Call me old fashioned, but I sometimes like for my executables and data to be in the same place (so I can, for example, just zip up the one folder and know I got all the pertinent files).

And you have to admit, c:\Fantasy Grounds II\portraits is a little easier to remember / nagivate to than C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\portraits

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Radclyffe
    I suspect I know the answer to this, but is there any option for keeping the FGII data in the FGII install directory?
    The change is caused by Vista security policies and FGII was made Vista compatible. There is no option at this time of keeping the dynamic data under Program Files for any version of Windows.
    Ville Leino
    Fantasy Grounds
    Funny, no response!

It's all about standards. Whether you run Windows, Linux, or OSX, the standards say that user generated data goes in the user folders, not with the app. It's been that way for over a decade for Unix OSes, and since 1999 for the others - Vista just happens to be the first Microsoft OS that really expects devs to do it and it behaves poorly if you don't. It's by far the most common reason that old apps don't work right on Vista; the rest are devs who took shortcuts that rely on custom DLLs and/or security holes.

Thanks, Smite guys, for taking the time to do it right - even it it does add a bit to the learning curve.

I am a bit confused as to why you didn't put the user data under Documents, tho....
    Last edited by Illrigger; April 23rd, 2007 at 22:56.

Oh, I understand the reasons. I tend to think (for the majority of home users at least), that the standards don't represent the way the system is used. I would guess that most computers don't have multiple user profiles on them (and even those that do probably don't get used by the correct user every time, i.e. it's on and all I want to do is check my webmail so no need to switch users).

If possible, I guess I would vote for putting the data under My Documents as well. It's also buried in the filesystem, but at least Windows has a built in shortcut to that location all over the place

It's damned annoying to keep all that data in two different spots. I couldn't find out where to stick my portrait file anywhere. The folder just wasn't showing up, until I made hidden folders visible.

Can't find where to place a map. I've moved the JPG through all the folders and it's not "draggable" as some other thread suggested.

Edit: woops just came up under Images as its own file. Convenient, that.

Thread Information