DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Sharing Tokens with Players or players using their own tokens

As the title says, how does the DM share tokens with players (Like spell tokens) in FGU or is that even possible? Can a player load their own tokens from the player side?

That is currently not available. We do plan to add the ability for players to see any tokens and portraits installed on their machine in the Assets window; but it's not something we're working on yet.

Sharing is more complicated, because it creates a "lot" of network/file/graphic overhead. (i.e. FG would have to query whether each and every file is modified/deleted on each connection; update the local player client state; and then download all the files.) For a few files, this isn't that bad. But, people like to share 20,000 files like that, which makes it more problematic...

Regards,
    JPG

So when the player ability to use local tokens is implemented, I assume only that player will be able to see their tokens? I'm thinking things specifically like the ability to add spell tokens to spells with some of the 3rd party extensions that are available. I realize it may be too soon to answer these questions due to the fact it isn't implemented yet.

Do you know if this is planned for release time or is it something coming after release?

No current timelines. Working to fix core items, and existing promised features first.

Regards,
    JPG

Understand the priority on core items, but would be nice if players could add their own tokens and portraits to their characters. This would mean having a local library or folder accessible to them which can be accessed via the Assets I assume.

Yes. Such folders exist but the mechanics of how clients access them have not been implemented as Moon Wizard says above.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    I just ran some one-shots for PAX. My players had no problems adding their own portraits for their characters. I'm not sure what steps they took (I instructed them to double click on the portrait window on their character sheet.) This was both for character xml I imported for them and for those who imported their own characters from another campaign.

So, it's do-able, I'm just not sure how.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I just ran some one-shots for PAX. My players had no problems adding their own portraits for their characters. I'm not sure what steps they took (I instructed them to double click on the portrait window on their character sheet.) This was both for character xml I imported for them and for those who imported their own characters from another campaign.

So, it's do-able, I'm just not sure how.
    The OP was talking about tokens - which aren't available to players. Portraits are available to players if they own any or if they have placed portraits in their portraits folder.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I don't know if I misunderstand the issue but can't you share tokens just like you could in FGC? Just put them on a map and everybody sees them.

You just can't share the view of your token library to others, right? So, you can send screenshots of your library to the players, have them pick their favorite, and drag them to their PC sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperventilator View Post
    I don't know if I misunderstand the issue but can't you share tokens just like you could in FGC? Just put them on a map and everybody sees them.

You just can't share the view of your token library to others, right? So, you can send screenshots of your library to the players, have them pick their favorite, and drag them to their PC sheets.
    The OP wants to be able to access tokens themselves as a player. Yes, the DM can do what you say; but the DM cannot share tokens with players nor can players access tokens that they own.

Thread Information