DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by MathBlade View Post
    Good evening,
    Lastly as a seemingly unrelated question but I need to know for the encounter step. The idea is that a D66 is rolled and then a modifier is applied to the first number. If that modifier is negative four and the player rolled two ones how does one find a -31 on the encounter table?
    MathBlade
    Hey Mathblade is my player!

RE: rolling d66 and applying modifiers.
    You apply it to the first die/ tens (as you note) and then ignore anything lower than 01 or higher than 96.
    This results in far less encounters in Empty Space (as it should be) because with a -4 Empty Space modifier most rolls will be below 01 and therefore result in no encounter.
    Whereas encounters with a nearby Highport (+3) would be result in encounters from 41-96.

Quote Originally Posted by adzling View Post
    Hey Mathblade is my player!

RE: rolling d66 and applying modifiers.
    You apply it to the first die/ tens (as you note) and then ignore anything lower than 01 or higher than 96.
    This results in far less encounters in Empty Space (as it should be) because with a -4 Empty Space modifier most rolls will be below 01 and therefore result in no encounter.
    Whereas encounters with a nearby Highport (+3) would be result in encounters from 41-96.
    Since a D66 table is created in two steps, the first D6 table which then references a second D6 table, you can easily apply the modifier to the first table. In the first table, instead of 6 entries you would have 9 entries that then reference whichever subordinate table is correct for the entry. You might need to create an additional negative entry (like -9 to 0) that just indicates no encounter without checking a subordinate table. I'm not at my PC so I am assuming tables accept negative numbers, if not might require some help from MBM, but the rest of it will work for sure.

yeah but that's not how the starship encounter table in mgt2e works.

it's just one table with 01-96 entries.

In this instance your roll 1d6 for tens and another for ones.

Then you add a modifier to the tens depending upon how inhabited your system is.

Which results in a d66 number from 01-96.

While d66 only generates some of the 01-66 numbers (no 67 for example) when you add the modifiers you can end up with anything from -36 to 96.

Hence my comment, any result under 01 should just be ignored as it replicates the chance of getting nothing in deserted / less trafficked space.

I don't think I was clear with what I was saying, so I made a quick master table and subordinate table (1 of 9 I assume you will need to demonstrate). I also included rolling with a -3 modifier to show how it works.

modified_table_example.jpg

Basically, you create a master table that has several negative entries and that is 0 and 0 which will look blank, and then the 9 other positions assuming a positive modifier.

Then you create subordinate tables for each of second D6 rolls (since a D66 is a D6 and a D6, it is broken into two separate tables). The subordinate tables then hold the second D6 information for whatever coincides with the tens and ones position, like (1,1) (1,2) (1,3) (1,4) (1,5) (1,6) would be the positions on subordinate table 1, (2,1) (2,2) (2,3) (2,4) (2,5) (2,6) would be for subordinate table 2, etc.

Once you have all the subordinate tables you want, you can just drag the hex into the correct tens place entry on the master table and it will automatically roll the correct subordinate table when the entry comes up on the master table.

Hope this helps. Fortunately I was at my PC this time so I could do a quick table and image. Note, I only did the first subordinate table but the others would be created the same and just linked where it says table 2, 3, 4, etc.

I noticed that I didn't roll enough to get a negative number or 0, but had I done so it would have said No encounter.

Attachment 39255
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    MGT2 Traveller space is developed in a relatively organized fashion. From biggest to smallest it goes like this.

Space (Everything)
    Domain or regional equivalent (contains 4 sectors)
    Sector (contains 16 subsectors)
    Subsector (contains 80 hexes and a variable number of systems)
    Hex/System (Smallest normal element)

In MGT2 system information represents the solar data, the main world, scout/navy services, and the presence of a gas giant. There is no method provided to determine full in-system data (other planets, how many gas giants, how many belts, where they are in proximity to the habitable belt, etc). Since the MGT2 is a small subset of the T5 data contained in travellermap, it has to be filtered down to import into the ruleset system information.

The information found at travellermap.com is formatted for the T5 version of Traveller. T5 contains a comprehensive system for developing quite a bit of system and in-system data. However, the license for this ruleset is MGT2 so as a result most of the T5 data would need to be added in some way or another into notes in order to be available.

As for the API, since Langere is both a system and a sector, you would want to want to explicitly pull the sector information to avoid just getting the individual system:

Hopefully this is helpful.
    Hi! Yes this is very helpful! Much more so than the API documentation. The breakdown is a lot clearer here which will help.

It's also good to know that some of this is T5 data and not all of it is MGT2.

Upon loading my app I make a call here
    https://travellermap.com/api/universe
    This returns 1060 sectors which 1059 I can do the call using the sector parameter

https://travellermap.com/api/metadata?sector={Name here}

1059 of them pass. The one below does not.

https://travellermap.com/api/metadata?sector=Langer

Is there a way to let the travellermap team know about this issue to have it not return from the universe call or to add the proper sector data to prevent the failure?

Quote Originally Posted by adzling View Post
    yeah but that's not how the starship encounter table in mgt2e works.

it's just one table with 01-96 entries.

In this instance your roll 1d6 for tens and another for ones.

Then you add a modifier to the tens depending upon how inhabited your system is.

Which results in a d66 number from 01-96.

While d66 only generates some of the 01-66 numbers (no 67 for example) when you add the modifiers you can end up with anything from -36 to 96.

Hence my comment, any result under 01 should just be ignored as it replicates the chance of getting nothing in deserted / less trafficked space.
    Cool no encounter it is then! Easy enough.

I found this: You are welcome to send email with any comments, suggestions, bug reports, praise, or offers of help to [email protected].

I was looking at the full metadata listing, it looks like it might be an error or reproduction of Langere.

There is another thing you might consider is to remove any sector data that is not explicitly milieu 1105, the other milieu settings are either way in the past or way in the future, but the data won't be consistent.

Another thing that you are likely to run into are orphan sectors (or even subsectors) that are separated by huge chunks of undefined space. The easiest example is that Athwa subsector in the Calidan sector. It is literally in a different section of the galaxy. There are others though I can't specifically name them. It was a subsector created for the MGT2 starter set to provide a different gaming area without all of the imperial entanglements.

Like I said in an earlier post, I have pulled and cleaned up all the Mileau 1105 data from the traveller map and have it in a spreadsheet for anyone who wants it.
    I am currently creating a series of Sector/Quadrant/Sub-Sector maps for 6 sectors I am interested in for my particular upcoming game.
    I have pulled all the J-6 maps for each of the worlds and used the explanator software to do a writeup for each world/system.
    This is all in order to create an indepth library data for the use of my players but I will likely release it as a module when complete.
    I have posted the details over in the Facebook Art of Traveller group as well as the Facebook Traveller Software group.
    best regards
    Dalton

Hey Mathblade one thing you should not ignore is the T5 data that travellermap links to.

T5 (traveller5) is a massively extended ruleset for Traveller, it's different from MGT2e but much of it is compatible.

For our purposes the world and system data generators that Travellermap links to are *very* desirable as they generate complete system data for the planets beyond the primary inhabited world.

For example here's a screenshot of the link to the t5 generators within Travellermap:
    Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 9.50.58 AM.png
    The upper link goes to the T5 world map generator and the lower link goes to the T5 system data generator.
    Now I'm not sure if there's an API for the T5 system generator, if not then we won't be able to use it but would be cool if possible.

And to confirm what someone else said we are playing in 1105 time frame, Travellermap has data from many different setting years, we don't need that stuff.

Thread Information