STAR TREK 2d20
Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last
    The system generation site is basically random generates the detailed system data each time you access it using the systems presented in T5. Sometimes you get some really interesting systems. While it is linked from Travellermaps it is a separate entity.

The API is kind of limited but the documentation can be found here: https://members.ozemail.com.au/~jono...mentation.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Calford View Post
    Like I said in an earlier post, I have pulled and cleaned up all the Mileau 1105 data from the traveller map and have it in a spreadsheet for anyone who wants it.
    I am currently creating a series of Sector/Quadrant/Sub-Sector maps for 6 sectors I am interested in for my particular upcoming game.
    I have pulled all the J-6 maps for each of the worlds and used the explanator software to do a writeup for each world/system.
    This is all in order to create an indepth library data for the use of my players but I will likely release it as a module when complete.
    I have posted the details over in the Facebook Art of Traveller group as well as the Facebook Traveller Software group.
    best regards
    Dalton
    Sounds awesome and I would definitely want something like this.

My advice would be to break the modules down to a domain or sector level, because the larger the module the more time it takes to load and the slower the selection window takes to populate. Most people won't need to have more than one or two sectors loaded at a time which would speed things up.

Also, check licensing for any information you are including. Since the Traveller universe is old and it has been developed by dozens of companies and individual authors, the licensing is crazy. Quite a bit is covered by the FFE Fair Use Policy, but that doesn't cover anything from Mongoose, and MGT1 is covered by the old D20 OGL, and MGT2 by TAS via DriveThruRPG, the Wiki has an exception because it is connected to Marc Miller/FFE, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    Sounds awesome and I would definitely want something like this.

My advice would be to break the modules down to a domain or sector level, because the larger the module the more time it takes to load and the slower the selection window takes to populate. Most people won't need to have more than one or two sectors loaded at a time which would speed things up.

Also, check licensing for any information you are including. Since the Traveller universe is old and it has been developed by dozens of companies and individual authors, the licensing is crazy. Quite a bit is covered by the FFE Fair Use Policy, but that doesn't cover anything from Mongoose, and MGT1 is covered by the old D20 OGL, and MGT2 by TAS via DriveThruRPG, the Wiki has an exception because it is connected to Marc Miller/FFE, etc.
    I am breaking it down into modules that use moduals ie a subsector holds all the graphics/notes/notable characters/local library data
    A quadrant holds more information as well as links into the four subsectors in the smaller modules
    A sector holds more information as well as links to the four quadrants.
    A domain/province holds more information including the links to the associated sectors.
    Each module will have a players version and a refs version that links to the players version but holds the data the players do not have access to.
    I have completed 3 sectors so far, 3 more to go before I start having things to publish.
    I am including the credits and notes for every sector that I have gotten from travellermap.
    overall, each section will have a link back to the credits and ffe copyright notice.

As for data, it is the standard public information from M1105 but has further information that is generated by other tools.
    In addition, while the graphics will be similar to MGT2, it is significantly different and all artwork has been created by myself, either directly or by using FT.

The whole thing is designed for my own games and if I do publicly publish, it will have the moniker IMTU_ prefacing every module/extension.
    But, I know how much work this is, and that others may like to do something for themselves, so if you want copies of my work, just let me know - it is all creative commons.

I am definitely looking forward to this. When you get the point of sharing just start a forum and I will add to the community list.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    I found this: You are welcome to send email with any comments, suggestions, bug reports, praise, or offers of help to [email protected].

I was looking at the full metadata listing, it looks like it might be an error or reproduction of Langere.

There is another thing you might consider is to remove any sector data that is not explicitly milieu 1105, the other milieu settings are either way in the past or way in the future, but the data won't be consistent.

Another thing that you are likely to run into are orphan sectors (or even subsectors) that are separated by huge chunks of undefined space. The easiest example is that Athwa subsector in the Calidan sector. It is literally in a different section of the galaxy. There are others though I can't specifically name them. It was a subsector created for the MGT2 starter set to provide a different gaming area without all of the imperial entanglements.
    Great! So some of the data wouldn't be clean which makes sense. The data is still needed from the API for other users/cases. So I'll need to carefully slice as needed to make sure we get close to where we are in the world.

I used the api to pull all the traveller map data down for milieu 1105 and put it into a spreadsheet. Its all cleaned up and I am planning on putting it into a module with notes etc., You are welcome to the raw data or, if you want, the expanded data which generates all the missing items using MGT rules with some T5 top ups where MGT2 is lacking. I am using the MGT2 trade codes in the rework data, but the raw data still has the T5 trade codes.

best regards

Dalton.
    Do you mind linking me to this or sending it to me? I searched this thread and didn't see a link to it. (This is the closest I could see) If you send me your paypal (or other element) we could discuss payment if you like so I can use your spreadsheet to validate datapulls or just use it directly with crediting? I like to pay others for their work but I also understand I seem like a random stranger on the internet and that can be scary.

Quote Originally Posted by MathBlade View Post
    Do you mind linking me to this or sending it to me? I searched this thread and didn't see a link to it. (This is the closest I could see) If you send me your paypal (or other element) we could discuss payment if you like so I can use your spreadsheet to validate datapulls or just use it directly with crediting? I like to pay others for their work but I also understand I seem like a random stranger on the internet and that can be scary.
    Not looking for payment, if you send me your email address to my [email protected] (you can figure it out to avoid forum scrapers) I will send you the file. I have been a traveller player for years and it is from the help of others that I have gotten alot of my knowledge. I am just paying it forward.

Not looking for payment, if you send me your email address to my [email protected] (you can figure it out to avoid forum scrapers) I will send you the file. I have been a traveller player for years and it is from the help of others that I have gotten alot of my knowledge. I am just paying it forward.
    Thanks dude! I sent an email your way from email m as first letter + a Roman (I think) general + math @ not cold mail .com . I hope you at least let me credit you. I think I have the subset of data figured out for the pull but it would be awesome to validate against your excel sheet.

Cloned the repo locally & installed node.js. Created a file "Sector.env" in the root of the project, contents of the file are:

SECTOR=Vland
    BUILD_TYPE=module

I've tried several different .env files of varying names, different sectors & build types, etc. Even moved the .env file around in case I should have it elsewhere (although it seems clear it's supposed to be in the project root). No matter what I do, I get

PS F:\temp\fgmgt2travellerworldsdata-develop> npm start

> [email protected] start
    > node index.js

undefined:1
    The specified sector 'undefined' was not found.

Running this on Windows 10. What am I missing?

Thread Information