FG Spreadshirt Swag

24/7 access to FG application, or ...?

I'm rather happy with Fantasy Ground. It has its idiocracies, but it works very well as soon as one has figured things out. One thing I still don't understand:
    • as a DM I run the campaign
    • the campaign runs on my computer
    • my players manage their own characters
    • they can't access their characters if my computer isn't running
    • so I need to have a computer running most of the time
    • I can't imagine everyone having a 24/7 computer running, so how do others do this?
      1. fiddle with your PC visiting hours?
      2. save at the end of the session and import again?
      3. manage offline and import again?
      4. something completely different?

normally if a player wants access in between games they can just try and schedule a quick moment for me to load up the game, but really nothing should need to be changed on characters between sessions. and i normally leave the game open for a couple hours after each session and then start it up a couple hours before the next session for any in FG note taking and prepping

Manage characters is the standard way for players view and edit their PCs within FG when they GM doesn't have their sessions running. Manage characters exists in FG Classic. FG Unity has similar functionality, within a campaign, and is a little smoother than the export -> import processed needed in Manage characters. But each will require the modified PC to be uploaded to the GM the next time a session is joined.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

With classic, I just leave the game on 24/7. Perhaps I'm weird in that I never reboot my machine unless I have some sort of OS level crash or update that requires it. Sleep mode, as far as I know, is almost as energy efficient as turning off a computer.

I put FGC on a virtual desktop and then don't think about it until the next session is nearing, at which time I'll take the game down to perform updates to the base application and any extensions / modules from dmsguild or other sources.

I haven't had any problems and a few players take advantage of it and log in to look at shared maps, quests, notes, and to mess around with their character. I sometimes leave a map open with their tokens unlocked and a dragon or something with lots of HP so they can practice combat and spell casting if they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Manage characters is the standard way for players view and edit their PCs within FG when they GM doesn't have their sessions running.

Manage characters exists in FG Classic. FG Unity has similar functionality, within a campaign, and is a little smoother than the export -> import processed needed in Manage characters.

But each will require the modified PC to be uploaded to the GM the next time a session is joined.
    Question: is the above done automatically or does the "player"/"client" running the demo mode needs to do something to update the character within the campagin of the gamemaster / server/ running the ultimate session?

Any changes made to a character whilst joined to the Dm are automatically stored locally on the player's hard drive as well as in the DMs campaign database. If a player edits a character in FG Classic using manage characters (or in Unity using their own campaign) then they'll need to import that character back into the campaign when they next join.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information