Checking your status

After reading this post and having a few problems myself the other night, I was wondering if Fantasy Grounds might be able to set up something like this, to see if everything is setup correctly?

Previously: MurghBpurn

You can go to any port sniffing website and plug in port '1802' to detect. Such as: http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=1802 to determine if you have your game available to the internet.

The status of the game in some fashion is not known to me at this time. Making a small IO::Socket client to verify this wouldn't be horribly hard (and might be frowned upon). But in the end the networking part is what you really need to find out.

If there is demand for such and thing and people aren't upset with it. I can look into making a CGI that attempts to join a game in a similar fashion.

So does FG have to be running for this to work? Either way I'm getting "Error! Port 1802 does not appear to be open." It was fine previously

Previously: MurghBpurn

FG does not have to be running.

Basically FG has pretty clear requirements but implementing them is not always simple or clear. It helps to read the networking faq.

http://forums.fantasygrounds.com/for...faq_networking

And to read posts from other people having similar problems.

I think the chief culprets are Windows Firewall not being turned off (IMHO its unacceptable software anyway) and not being able to modify the switch\router device between you and the internet.

On the networking front FG has been really good about keeping to standard file formats, straightforward networking, and the dominant current graphics standards. They can't really take it upon themselves to teach us the standards when there are so many other people using them - hence the term "standards".

It does seem though, when you're deep into it that the simplest thing would be to have the program do one more thing for you. Unfortunately the nature of networking is that you have to keep control of these decisions for your own security and there is a limit to what FG can automate.

Sigurd

I hope that helps.
    J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd
    FG does not have to be running.
    Are you saing that FG does not need to be running to test the connectivity?

That link I posted will establish a TCP connection back to you on port 1802. If you have FG running it will be happy , if you just have it open and your router pointing it to your computer with or without a firewall on your computer allowing port 1802 tcp traffic it will be unhappy .

Using this lingo, happy means it actually talked to FG. Just like 'telnet your.ip.addr 1802' would do. Just having the port unfiltered or filtered would not make it happy.

Thread Information