5E Character Create Playlist

Thread: Noob questions

Noob questions

Hi everyone,

I have a FGClassic Ultimate license and moving away from play-by-post campaigns to FG.

I have a number of logistical and noob questions that I have tried to find the answers in these forums but have not seen clear answers. So, please excuse my rookie-status with these questions:

1. Since I have FGCU, I can have players use demo accounts to play in my campaigns — am I understanding that licensing correctly?
    2. I like Pathfinder and AD&D 2nd systems both are included in the FGCU, is that right?
    3. If yes, to no. 2, is it ALL of Pathfinder expansion books, etc. or is really just the Core Rules book and I have to buy all of the other Pathfinder books separately?
    4. How do the players roll-up their characters? Do they that offline (with me trusting them) and they just type into FG their character? Or do they build it within my campaign (limited by whatever rule set and expansions I have purchased)?
    5. Can players create in Herolabs (which will validate their build to the rule set they use) and then import those characters into FG?
    6. Once game play starts, the game be run with typing chat-only in the software (not ideal) or does FG have a voice-chat built in or, if I want audio or video, I would have to setup a Discord or Zoom meeting?
    7. I award XP within FG and players level-up within the software or do they level-up outside FG and then manually update thei character in FG?
    8. If I create a character for use in another DM’s FG game, can I use that same character in other campaigns meaning— are the characters linked so items and XP earned in one campaign are automatically updated on the character in other campaigns or is every character totally separate and everything is updated manually.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

May all your rolls be crits!

Teak

Caveat: I'm a 5e player, so these answers will be tilted a little towards that.

1. Yes. You have ultimate, you may host for any number of demo users.
    2. No. The license is about who may play. The basic mechanics for PF and AD&D are in there, but the content is not, like complete spell lists. Grab a demo and see what's actually included before you look to buy the next parts.
    3. n/a
    4. Your choice, I suppose.
    5. I'm not a PF person, so no idea.
    6. FG has the text chat. If you want video & audio, use an external program (and, IMHO, generally a better choice anyway. Let each program be good at what they do.). I happen to use Google Meet.
    7. In FG. It doesn't completely automatically level-up as there are choices that need to be made at the level-up point (for example, in 5e you can multiclass at each point, so the system _shouldn't_ automatically add a level to your current class)
    8. The characters are mostly separate. It would involve exporting and importing characters back and forth.

An unasked question that 8 sorta suggests: note that purchases of licenses and source books are tied to a person and not a group. So if you, as the current GM, buys an Ultimate license and all of the Classic D&D stuff (that's the current name for AD&D 2ed), and then the GM role is passed along to a different person: that person would need to have their own Ultimate license and source books. The source books are shared from the GM machine. If the GM role can move amongst many people, perhaps Standard licenses would be more appropriate, or subscription licenses (though you still have the source books issue).

There is no data included for the 2E ruleset - just the ruleset framework.

For Pathfinder 1e there is PRD/OGL data based off the Core Rules and Bestiary 1. There are also a lot of community OGL modules: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ist-of-Modules
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

4. For online play I use point buy for character stats because it's the easiest solution.

The books added to the platform really help alot with character generation, etc....highly recommend that option.

The answer to question 8 reminded me of a question I had. I have the ultimate licence, and I have a group of friends who will be getting demo games so we can all play. Does this mean I am bound to being the DM as long as we play with this setup, or is it at all possible for me to give one of my friends "permission" to be the DM? I know this kind of thing is possible in Roll20, but we aren't in Roll20 right now ;P

No, the host is always the license holder.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Shrapp View Post
    The answer to question 8 reminded me of a question I had. I have the ultimate licence, and I have a group of friends who will be getting demo games so we can all play. Does this mean I am bound to being the DM as long as we play with this setup, or is it at all possible for me to give one of my friends "permission" to be the DM? I know this kind of thing is possible in Roll20, but we aren't in Roll20 right now ;P
    Good Day Shrapp
    You cannot share DM duties with an Ultimate license. If you want rotating DM's it would be better for everyone to get the Standard license. Please note that only the person who is DMing can share the books they own, so as a minimum I would suggest everyone who will DM would want the DMG and PH. The MM is nice, but if you are using purchased adventures they should have all the NPC info included, if I remember correctly.

Thread Information