FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

[SWD] Adding archetype into characters list not applying Brawny correctly?

This occurred in the add-on module I created to fix all the many PreGen errors in The War of the Dead. While I was checking each of the "fixed" PCs I ran into this with Michael who had Vigor 8 and Brawny edge. Ooriginally the preteen had Toughness 7 listed in the XML to match the PDF.

When loaded into party, he showed with Toughness 6 and Brawny edge was there and links to proper entry.
    So I removed the Brawny and then readied it - he ended with Toughness 7.

So next I went to my db.xml and removed the whole toughness line expecting it to just calculate it and then apply Brawny as it was moved from PreGen to Characters.

It was a nice thought but it did not do as expected. It remained 6 on reimport from PreGens (deleting character and restarting in between each try)

Is that a bug? Or is there something I can do in the XML so it imports correctly?

Also, if anyone has feedback on things to avoid putting in Oregon section, e.g. derived stats like toughness etc - be great to post rules of thumb here or point to a place for them.

Savage Worlds Deluxe Edition does not have Effects embedded into abilities or item. That feature is only done in SWADE. You will have manually manage adding modifiers to Derived Stats when adding Abilities in SWD.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0JI3...-_Old_Rye_Neck

Oddly, what makes Kort the Street Tough from Lankhmar Triple Cross adventure “work”?

Here he has d8 vigor and brawny - that’s 2+4=6+1 = 7.

What makes this one work in SWD? Or again, I mistook something?

(EDIT: New to video upload, tried it from iphone cloud - basically video of my looking at Kort in SWD and adding him and seeing how his Brawny already in the Pregen still results in the correct +1 to Toughness - so I wondered what IT did right vs me?)
    Last edited by Varsuuk; June 3rd, 2020 at 15:03.

Btw - In case in light of other discussions, this is misunderstood - I am not asking that something be added to SWD (or SWADE) to handle this.

I just have no experience running it on FG and saw what seemed like incorrect setup PCs (and there were many errors comparing to the PDFs, unless errata changed - it I only had PDFs to look at.) Then after I built the Adventure Deck for WotD and the first 10 PC archtypes in a mod (figured once I checked them I could pass on to devs in Smite to add into existing value pregens IF they wanted or to post (them I mean) as an optional .mod with the same pregens in anoter "category" so you can distinguish.

So, when I am asking about why Brawny "works" for importing Kort from Lankhmar vs any one I was doing and the existing pregen, I just want to know if orig dev AND ME are doing it wrong and the Lankh guy is the star? OR if some other variable thing is in play. Not to CHANGE it (that would be up to others) just to understand it so I can submit the fixes to the best of the ability to BE fixed.

Awesome - found out what that character was doing.

<bonuslists> was the missing component. Now I can tweak the rest of the characters. Wish I had learned this yesterday, could have finished the original 10 - not much left, just add bonuslist where needed and validate against PDF cos all are done. I plan on adding "Survivors part 2" as well in a second .mod so powers that be can decide to combine or leave out as desired.

I KNEW it wasn't a not "effects coded" thing since it worked for Kort. Thanks all for helping me work through this with your comments which helped me see the patterns. Always appreciate the awesomeness.

Got all but portraits pre-assigned "right" (which is not possible) - but now seeing other ruleset pregens, I am going to move notes to front page, that seems the "description" section that should be used instead.

Pumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    Awesome - found out what that character was doing.

<bonuslists> was the missing component. Now I can tweak the rest of the characters. Wish I had learned this yesterday, could have finished the original 10 - not much left, just add bonuslist where needed and validate against PDF cos all are done. I plan on adding "Survivors part 2" as well in a second .mod so powers that be can decide to combine or leave out as desired.

I KNEW it wasn't a not "effects coded" thing since it worked for Kort. Thanks all for helping me work through this with your comments which helped me see the patterns. Always appreciate the awesomeness.

Got all but portraits pre-assigned "right" (which is not possible) - but now seeing other ruleset pregens, I am going to move notes to front page, that seems the "description" section that should be used instead.

Pumped.
    I was about to ask have you checked bonuslists. That's the way how modifiers are managed. Glad you figured it out!
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Thank you sir, as I said - new to SW on FG. Plus I never did anything with Pregens on any system.

Who do I contact after North Texas RPG Con is over after Sunday to submit/pass on my corrected Pregens and optionally the se one set of Pregens (WotD had a second Survivors PDF - oddly the ext contains the portraits of both original 10 and second set of 10? as well.

I got it working for myself as a separate .mod file (I put Pregens in diff category to distinguish from originals) but if Smiteworks want to offer the update to existing folks they would want to replace the ext’s Pregens.

I wonder if that second set of art (with the names of the se one pdf of survivors) was a mistake? The second set is done exactly as first except it did not have an “overview” PDF, like first, where the PC’s backstories are given.

In any event, several things from base stat and skill errors to simple missing entries like Garner missing “Novice” tag and equipment names not matching pdf. Plus now that saw it, while checking my work I will be moving their descriptions from “Notes” to front tab like other Pregens have.

Wow - that sucked... while listing to a Convention panel (NTRPGCon) I decided to doublecheck the characters - made my changes to one and deleted the linked folder in my Windows VM (forgot was a link, not a COPY ...). so - lost all my work.

Good news is, only lost the pregens 10 characters... not SO bad (I'm not crying, YOU are crying...) but I will redo and it will be better now... (not sure how... but...)

Never forget the following mantra:
    Backup, Backup, Backup

I have started using Bvckup2 software (it was reasonably priced), I have all my drives backed up (excluding Steam), my FG drive is set to constant backup, do not know how many times this has saved me in the last year!
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Thread Information