5E Character Create Playlist

NPC Token shows as ? for player

I'm an Ultimate license holder for FGU, running the 5E ruleset on Windows 10. I created a custom spellcaster NPC for a session and used a PC portrait as the NPC token. Specifically DataDND5EHalf-ElfHalf-Elf_Female2.jpg. I add the token to the map and as the DM I can see it just fine, but the player just sees a question mark token instead. Both are in the combat tracker and able to target each other.

How do I fix this?

DM view:IMG_20200530_152659(1).jpg

Player view:IMG_20200530_152705(1).jpg

Tokens are .png files rather than .jpg. I suspect that is the issue.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I had this issue come up tonight. I had several NPCs using portrait assets from the DND5E folder that was included. All of the tokens within that folder are .jpg files. I don't remember my players mentioning NPCs being red question marks earlier, but they haven't been included on combat maps until recently.

Is there anyway to fix the image files in the included packages so that they are the correct format? I looked, but did not find a folder I could unpack and resave images as the correct format. I suspect that the DND5E portrait folder is part of one of the vault files that I would not be able to access. But, if a .png format is required for portraits to show up, it would be nice if all the included assets used the correct format.

Thanks.

I don't think these are the same issue; since it has been 4.5 months since the original issue and the FGU client has evolved a lot since then.

The question mark graphic indicates that the graphic file could not be loaded by the player client for some reason. The NPCs do not use the portraits folder. They only have tokens in the NPC record; and for some books, links to an image record with a full image. So, I'm not clear where your players are seeing question marks.

Can you be more specific about the steps to see the issue? And/or provide screen shots?

Thanks,
    JPG

You're right, these might not be related; but the OP's description seemed to match the descriptions my players were giving me during last night's game. I've gone back and collected some screenshots by connecting to my own game as a player.

We are currently playing through the Lost Mines of Phandelver module. In that module I have made several altered versions of several of the main NPCs and those NPCs now are accompanying the PCs. For portraits for these NPCs, I used several that were found in my Assets section (Assets -> Portraits -> Data -> DND5E -> Dwarf or Human -> appropriate picture). All of these portraits show up fine on the GM side; but are just blank grey circles in the combat tracker or red square question marks on the battle map from the PC view. Given Zaccheaus' previous answer about .png vs .jpg for portraits, I wondered if this was what was causing the issue. Screenshots follow:

Combat Tracker:

GM: CombatTracker-GMView.JPG
    PC: CombatTracker-PlayerView.JPG

Battle Map:

GM: Battlemap-GMView.JPG
    PC: Battlemap-PlayerView.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Source Path for NPC Portraits:

Assets: Assets.JPG
    Portraits: Portraits.JPG
    DND5E: DND5E.JPG
    Dwarf: Dwarf-Human.JPG
    Dwarf Males 1 and 6: Dwarves.JPG

I'm unsure why these images don't send to my players and remain blank circles/question marks.

As Moon Wizard said above NPCs don''t use portraits but they do use tokens. So if you give the NPC's tokens instead of portraits then the players will see them. Portraits and tokens are different things and portraits are only useful for player characters.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Aha. That is....not immediately clear within the program. Good to know how to fix the problem, though.

Thanks.

Thanks for pointing it out. We're trying to make the program use assets a little more seamlessly; but there are still some backward compatible scenarios we need to address it seems.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information