DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Creating Tables with Subtables

Hi Folks,
    I'm trying to expand my FG 'prowess' by trying to use the table function. I'm using the 5E ruleset. I'm able to do the basic link to a subtable type thing. However, I'm trying to figure out if I can automate a number of subtables to roll for me and I'm having trouble figuring it out. Here's what I'm trying to do (which I think is fairly basic):
    1). On the 'primary' table it rolls a battle site;
    2). On the next table down, it rolls the Age of the battle site (i.e. Ancient vs. Recent)
    3). I then want a single table with essentially 2 rolls to pick the combatants.
    4). Anticipated End result of one roll: Battelefield which is Ancient with Dwarves fighting Orcs

I'm fine with steps 1 & 2. However, how would I implement step #3? Thanks as always for the help!!.

Have Table two roll on Table 3. Note however because of the asynchronous way dice are rolled the result might end up as Dwarves fighting Orcs Battlefield Recent
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hi Zacchaeus - thanks for the reply!
    How would you get it to roll on table 3 twice though? So if I set up Table 3 with a list of say 6 creatures:
    1 Wood Elves
    2 Gnolls
    3 Goblinoids
    4 Humans
    5 Orcs
    6 Trolls
    I need it to roll on this table twice to choose the opponents or do I need to create a 4th table? I'm fine with the battlefield being recent (that's one of the options). Thus Table 2 is Recent or Ancient (one die roll) and then on Table 3 I need the combatants (which is the 1 - 6 above). This is all generated from the Primary Table when "Battlefield" pops up.

Table two needs to be two columns. The first column is your age and the second column rolls on Table three. You can do [2x][Table 3] to roll twice on table three. Obviously you are running the chnace of Elves vs Elves or whatever.

For what you want to do I'd actually suggest a Story Template and don't use child tables. That way you can roll on each table separately and then join up the result in whatever order you want in the angled brackets thus creating a proper sentence.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...tory-Templates
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dax Doomslayer View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I'm trying to expand my FG 'prowess' by trying to use the table function. I'm using the 5E ruleset. I'm able to do the basic link to a subtable type thing. However, I'm trying to figure out if I can automate a number of subtables to roll for me and I'm having trouble figuring it out. Here's what I'm trying to do (which I think is fairly basic):
    1). On the 'primary' table it rolls a battle site;
    2). On the next table down, it rolls the Age of the battle site (i.e. Ancient vs. Recent)
    3). I then want a single table with essentially 2 rolls to pick the combatants.
    4). Anticipated End result of one roll: Battelefield which is Ancient with Dwarves fighting Orcs

I'm fine with steps 1 & 2. However, how would I implement step #3? Thanks as always for the help!!.
    Sorry to necro this a little bit, I'm having a similar issue, and trying to figure exactly which step I'm going wrong on.

Capture.PNG

Table 1 and 2 apparent. It's the third table that I'm having an issue with. I'm trying to get it to roll random npcs for an encounter. I'm fairly certain I'm doing something stupid... thanks for any time in advance.

You need [1d4x] or [1d2x] etc. Note the multiplier

EDIT: And I notice something else. You have set tables 1 and 2 to output to encounter but that won't happen if you are rolling from table 1. Only the primary or first table will have output which can go to something. So tables 2 and 3 won't produce encounters. If you want to produce encounters then I'd suggest you create the random encounter itself and then just link that encounter to the table. Additionally as suggested in the reply above a Story template would probably serve you better in what you are trying to do. Follow the link to that video to see how you can use a Story Template to create random encounters.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; August 16th, 2017 at 12:55.

Yeah, I gave the story template (nice feature) an overlook and didn't think it quite fit this correctly. I'll take a look into again. I had the random encounters in place already and could get that to produce. Just wanted to add some randomization to them.

On a side note the [1d4x] multiplier fixed everything (overlooked that on the wiki), does exactly what I needed perfectly... thanks for the help Zacchaeus.

Blog Entries
    I have been doing a ton of tables and the story templates really help, but whenever you do something that requires output and is not a single column table as the source, the current FG implementation hits issues. You can do a lot with what is there, but I keep running into cases where what I want does not work well.

What I have resorted to doing at times drawing out a master probability diagram and then creating sub-tables to choose what final table to roll on that has the output I want.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Tables in tables with random numbers

Hi all. i have been improving a tables mod in my 4e campaign, recreating the Gem and Jewelry random tables in the 1st Edition DM's Guide. I have been trying for ages now trying to work out creating random numbers in tables. Eg. 500-3000 gps. I can't get 5d6 times 100 to work.
    I can do 500d6 to get that, but I would rather it be in tidy 100 number lots i.e 500/600 etc up to 2900/300,
    Don't know if screenshot will help..But it's there
    Must sleep now getting square eyes.
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try using [5d6*100] not [5d6x100]
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Thread Information