5E Character Create Playlist
Page 9 of 16 First ... 7891011 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlingChaox View Post
    The hard truth is that SW only has so much time before people get invested on different platforms, and each day FGU does not deliver on basic functionalities (such as stable software and acceptable speed) they’re losing out on potential customers.
    Absolutely. And I believe that is why they released the open Beta when they did. I'm sure it's also why they did not take the extra time to change the language or APIs, or change the UI/UX, or do other things that people want. It appears to me their goal is to release a minimum viable product as soon as possible so that they can maintain their position and then build upon it as they will then have a more performant platform on which to grow.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I'm having the same experience as you with, but worse due to not having as beastly of a PC. I'm starting a new campaign and was planning on using Unity. I figured it would be fine as the team's statement said they thought it was good enough to stand on its own and are selling it as a standalone at this point. Unfortunately it's not possible to use and what kills me is that the old version works perfectly on my PC. The issue you had with revealing maps, I don't typically have even on larger maps though I do aim for 70 px/square if I can manage to find them

So, if FGU is running so smoothly, why is it still in beta?

Other than roll20, I had never even looked at other VTT's until I saw someones's post about Astral and Foundry, they look good, but I do not like subscriptions.
    Yes, I know Astral has a free version, but I want all functionality.

I didn't go with roll20 because everything I had read and watched on youtube recommended Fantasy Grounds.

For the time being, I will be patient and hope that the devs put out something soon. If not, then I will have a need to investigate other options available.
    I will not pay for FGC, I have already sent SmiteWorks $134.10 for a product plus the cost of various rulesets.
    FGU Ultimate License. Just getting my feet wet, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Temmpest View Post
    So, if FGU is running so smoothly, why is it still in beta?
    There still adding a lot of code to FGU, its not a finished product, therefore we ought be very tolerant. 30 days money back is also long time to decide whether to stick with FG or not.
    It's not ready for release, but we are getting incremental improvements every week, that's how development goes. For most people it runs actually ok, the menu loading 2 months ago took much longer for me, for instance, and cpu hits were high on my mac, but menu's started to load faster for me and cpu also went down. Most important thing is to be actually able to run a game through cloud (for people having trouble setting up port forwarding). Being able to run a game, friends able to connect, no drops in connection, decreasing lag by optimising LoS. So there have been optimisations along the road, but its not there nr.1 priority understandable. If they spent the last two months optimising, complaints would be the other way around, we can't run a game lobby is down, people are disconnecting. My group fell in this laster category 2 months ago, while other people were already able to run campaigns with their friends. We then just decided to wait two months and then try again and things got a lot better. Be patient if you must play dnd, use classic if you can, but if things are not working for you at the moment in unity, just postpone your game for a month and try then.
    Last edited by vaughnlannister; June 5th, 2020 at 10:08.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryMon View Post
    Other than roll20, I had never even looked at other VTT's until I saw someones's post about Astral and Foundry, they look good, but I do not like subscriptions.
    For correctness, Foundry is One Time Payment only, same as FGC. If you want a dedicated cloud server instead of local play, you could rent one from a provider like The Forge.

Quote Originally Posted by Targas View Post
    For correctness, Foundry is One Time Payment only, same as FGC. If you want a dedicated cloud server instead of local play, you could rent one from a provider like The Forge.
    Came here to say this. I purchased it yesterday and have been playing around with it. While the functionality is impressive, Foundry does have one big problem: There are no adventure paths for any of the systems. So, you'll be setting up EVERYTHING manually for every game. If you're okay with that, it's a very decent platform. Something of a cross between Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds. FG is the king when it comes to automation, but Foundry has more of the polish of Roll20, while giving you features that Roll20 doesn't have.

I've been impressed with what I have seen of it so far and may run a game in it in the future. There are also some nice free mods for Foundry. One with sound effects, one with maps. I honestly think that for a one-time purchase of $50, it's totally worth it. I'll probably spend as much time mucking around with it as I would playing a video game anyway.

Having run my game in FG (Classic) last night, it would be hard to give up the automation and functionality, but Astral and Foundry are kind of a breath of fresh air, too.
    Last edited by wframe; June 5th, 2020 at 17:34.

Quote Originally Posted by wframe View Post
    FG is the king when it comes to automation, but Foundry has more of the polish of Roll20, while giving you features that Roll20 doesn't have.
    I love Fantasy Grounds, but I REALLY wish it had the polish of some of other VTTs. As a simple example, built in theme frame textures that don't tile so horribly (I'm looking at you PFRPG2 ruleset!).

@wframe Early in this forum it was said that you could import your adventures from DnDbeyond.

Quote Originally Posted by wframe View Post
    Having run my game in FG (Classic) last night, it would be hard to give up the automation and functionality, but Astral and Foundry are kind of a breath of fresh air, too.
    And that's a problem for FGU. It's taking too long to get a product that has feature parity with FGC. And that feature parity is missing tonnes of stuff other VTTs have (dynamic lighting, video, audio, etc.). Not good.

Now, I've talking a lot of sh*t about FGU, so I should acknowledge I recently started a subscription so I could noodle around with it. While it is very much ahead of where it was two months ago, it is still a little slow opening lists, searching, etc., and it still crashed on me while searching, with only one player attached. But, to be honest, it's much better than it was. Still not playable, but better.

The UI is still 15-year-old garbage, however. Difficult to navigate, doesn't take advantage of modern UI theory/practice and is overall clunky.

Overall, if it wasn't for the automation (admittedly FG's feature ... er, feature), I would be exploring other options. But like the mafia, the automation keeps dragging me back in.

Thread Information