DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 16 First 1234513 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    Not being a developer myself, I can only imagine what Smiteworks are experiencing with the development of FGU.

However, as an IT person I will say this:

The types of issues that everyone is bringing up are extremely difficult to track down.

There are so many variables involved. Just a few that I can come up with off the top of my head:

1. Operating System (Windows vs. macOS vs. Linux)
    2. OS Version. Windows 8+ and macOS 10.13+ and Ubuntu 16.04+ are the official system requirements. I've seen people with computers with Windows 7 and macOS 10.12 with issues. I realize buying a new computer can be expensive, but the developers have to set a line somewhere. macOS 10.12 was officially End Of Life September 2019 by Apple, and Windows 7 was EOL in January 2020 by Microsoft. If you are running these older Operating Systems, you are putting yourself at risk of unpatched security vulnerabilities at the very least (not to mention software incompatibilities).
    3. Video Card Chipset
    4. Video Card manufacturer
    5. Video Card Driver version
    6. Motherboard type and rev.
    7. BIOS Version
    8. Version of the HAL (DirectX or Metal)
    9. CPU Type
    10. Multi-core CPUs have thrown their own issues into the mix as well. I have an older game (from 2006) that runs terrible after more than about 30-60 minutes. Sometimes this can be caused by multi-core CPUs (which weren't a thing in consumer CPUs in 2006), finding the fix was an interesting quest through the internet. There are a lot of modern games that perform better with Hyper-threading turned off (at least on some CPUs).
    11. Other drivers that could be causing issues, there are so many ways rogue drivers can interact and cause issues.

So while I recognize that these aspects are true, I clearly illustrated that I don't fall into the category of "My computer is old and out of date! Why is it performing poorly." While I am used to seeing complaints like that, particularly during development (because normally what optimization means is getting something to run better on worse/outdated hardware and software) I am not in that group. Not even close. Sure, if we were talking about some people having random crashes, or whatever, then I would be concerned about bios revisions, or interactions with sound card drivers, or whatever. I have seen plenty as well. Absolutely there can be other bugs, but it seems so widespread, and so clearly how the program is calling things from storage into ram that I think it's not a hardware optimization issue at all. It's something software based, and it's bad.

This is a fresh install of windows as of January. Completely up to date. These are top tier components. And developers can't really say "multi core cpu's give us issues!" when the baseline now is minimum dual core processes and has been for several years. I mean, the min spec for FGU is 64 bit, we aren't faffing around with 32 bit bargain computer shenanigans here. To be clear, I don't expect FGU to be tapping out my 16 cores and 32 threads, that's insane. That would be a huge problem on the basis of the fact that FGU is, well, very simple from a computational standpoint. It's LUA, XML, etc, not Folding at home.

I have participated in several closed alphas of Unity game projects, including performance hogs like, Kerbal Space Program. FGU runs significantly worse. That should not be happening. FGU isn't doing any sort of advanced rendering. The physics simulation is just a dice skating around. The lists it is calling up are mostly basic text and codes.

These sorts of performance hangs, where you just can't do anything. That's distinctly NOT beta, that's alpha, or pre alpha. -

FGU is put out there in the open as just, available.

FGU is in Early Access mode. It has gone through an Alpha and Closed Beta process already and while it still has some bugs and missing features, we believe that it is ready for people to play and start using. We believe that the experience will be better on FGU over time than it will be on FGC.
    This isn't about bugs or missing features. That I expected. What I didn't expect is to click on a player's action's tab and have to wait 10 seconds for it to come up. I expected there to be teething problems with connections, but I didn't expect to click on, "Items," and have the program go all grey window on me.

I am fine with beta stuff being broken. I expected to wait for every module to be updated with line of sight, and extentions needing reworks to play nice in unity. That is 100% normal and expected. But I do expect what is there to basically work... Not perfectly mind you, just pretty well. Gimme 6 or 7/10 performance, not this 3 out of 10 when you don't have players connected stuff.

I don't want a refund. I just want it to work.

@Broadcast Bard I agree 100%. It`s 6 months after release date and FGU is an unplayable crap. I waste so many hours , I regret that I bought it via kickstarter. I'm serious about refunding.

Hi, I purchased FGU two months ago and I have seen slow incremental improvements over time. Side-bar menu's are loading much faster less lag when opening images in assets. Connection wise complaints have dropped significantly, that was a major issue 2 months ago, major in the sense that a lot of people posted having problems. I had to cancel 3 game session in a row, from players not able to connect, or the server being down(one each week), after the third I made the decision to postpone to early June.

CPU usage has gone down, so some things slowly have optimised. I'm on a Mac though in my case it sucks up 120%cpu when I open a map, when I don't it remains idle at 50%cpu. But yes FGU is not there yet we have to be patient. I was hoping to see a bit more optimisation after 2 months, though I noticed a lot of bug fixes and font fixes in FGU which make the texts much more readable then before. Even though that FGU has these issues I still love it, just wish things would be a little faster when navigating and such, but its beta so we should remain patient, it will get better.

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this Saturday, I have set up port-forwarding, all my maps are below 2mb and in jpg, so I have done all I could.

@vaughnlannister I will probably move to Foundry VTT. It is a pity that I bought so many FG modules.

Also make sure FG is installed on a SSD, FG seems to access the hard drive alot
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Doesn`t matter. I use fast M.2 disk with read 3GB/s.

@Hemosh how was your experience in running a game in FGU?

I'm not familiar with Foundry Vtt, but I took a look, it doesn't have adventure mods, so it will require a lot of prep.
    From a first glance I would rank this above roll20 and Astral, its also nice that you only require one licence and your players can connect for free like in FGU.
    I like the effects that you can put on the maps, but FGU has similar features and in the future I could see a day a night fx effect to be added.

Running games in web-browsers could be beneficial, though someone on Discord channel of FG, keep in mind FG was not sucking up CPU, was also high end pc I think had 32gb ram, but in Astral Cpu jumped to 90%, so I would be cautious when switching, would just test if its really runs well for you and all your players.
    Last edited by vaughnlannister; June 1st, 2020 at 09:23.

It's tragic compared to the classic version, Fortunately, I have both ultimate. i wasted 20 hours to prepare a Descent into A session with LoS maps (i make my own in DungeonFog/ DungeonDraft becasue the original ones are ugly as hell). We played two sessions and We move to classic version. Now its everything ok but FG classic looks like product from 80`s. No animated maps /token / assets no Los no visibility token funcionality.
    For example: change LOS in the middle of a fight = hang up. Restart clients ... nothing. I had to do LOS again quickly on new instance of map. Old ones hang up then open.

Foundry VTT: yep no adventure modules but u can import chars/ monsters/ whole modules from D&D Beyond - its import module made by Sebastien (VTT Assets)

One more thing: its demo version client/server. Foundry VTT has video/audio chat implemented, music/ sounds. Look at YT films: dynamic light/ dynamic sounds effect.
    Last edited by Hemosh; June 1st, 2020 at 09:26.

Thats really nice that you can import from DnDbeyond!! I could imagine you would just have a web-browser tab open with your adventure in DnDbeyond while running a game in Foundry Vtt. I think Foundry overall has potential.

I too like finding my own maps and adding Los myself, I really like Dundjinni material, I plan to buy this map making software (https://www.profantasy.com/products/cc3.asp) so I will be able to make my own maps in the future, because of this major resource site https://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/cc3p_addons.htm#vcc, it has a lot of old Dundjinni material that can integrate with this software.

It is good to keep reporting these issues you had with LoS, then developers can take a look and hopefully improve it.

But what we're experiencing is to be expected from Beta software, I have run into similar issues previously. Normally would just wait for it to come out, but because of the Corna Pandemic and social isolation, I made the exception this time, so hopefully this Saturday we will be able to run a game, I don't have high expectations of it being smooth but hopefully it will just be playable. If not I'll try turning of line of sight and just use masking, try and figure another solution.
    But its been 2 months since we last tried so I'm optimistic we will be able to play . The two months we postponed did not go to waste, I continued to prep our campaign, made extra tokens, add new maps, add extensions, improve character sheets, make special PC tokens for my players, added dmsguild mods to my campaign, so I have been building it out, adding extra plot twist and events to the campaign. We're running Lost mines of Phandelver, but I made the campaign start in a tavern in Neverwinter, where they meet Gundren and Sildar. And there are some extra events in between before they find the two shot horses of Gundren Rockseeker and Sildar Hallwinter. So postponing was actually a good thing maybe, increasing the quality of my campaign tremendously, I'm also adding more interesting NPCs with extra quest and rumours to the Campaign. I'm adding problems for my players to solve, like I'm stating that there is a food shortage in Neverwinter, so the carriage there transporting with all the supplies and food, makes them feel uneasily when leaving neverwinter, there frowned upon by the people of course, all adding a bit of tension atmosphere setting the tone. Making the world feel more real. I don't know maybe they will pick up on this plot and try and find a solution for neverwinter, which would be cool but that's up to my players to decide.
    Last edited by vaughnlannister; June 1st, 2020 at 10:05.

Last edited by Hemosh; June 1st, 2020 at 10:00.

Thread Information