STAR TREK 2d20

How to customize effects?

Hi, I am just starting to use effects within FG and I was looking for two things:

1. Is there any extension that add pre-made effects? Something like Potions of Bull Strength, Cats Grace, Eagle's Splendor and things Like that?
    2. How can I create my own exactly? What command do I need to input to make my own? And here I need to cover some possibilities:

a. If a potion would give +1d6 to STR, how would I write that? Roll de the dice, let's suppose I got a 3, and wrrite STR:3 on the new created effect?
    b. If it gives advantage to something? Can I automate it somehow or should I just add the adv when the character roll it?
    c. Let's suppose a character takes necrotic damage in a way his total hit points can't be restored unless he firs drinks a special potion?
    d. with a character looses a level as an effect of fear or something else.

Thanks in advance.

Well since a ruleset wasn't mentioned, I'm going on the assumption that it's a DnD based ruleset. Item effects aren't fully supported with the base rulesets. You would need an extension to add that functionality. When related to questions about particular rulesets, it is best to post in those forums. You might need to add those effects when the item is used by hand if there is no extensions.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Since advantage is being mentioned, move this over to the 5e forum.

1. Is there any extension that add pre-made effects? Something like Potions of Bull Strength, Cats Grace, Eagle's Splendor and things Like that?
    I haven't dipped into 5e effects, but a lot of the tags are used in different rule sets. There is a module of effects for 3.5/PF you can use as a guide with creating specific effects.

2. How can I create my own exactly? What command do I need to input to make my own? And here I need to cover some possibilities:

a. If a potion would give +1d6 to STR, how would I write that? Roll de the dice, let's suppose I got a 3, and wrrite STR:3 on the new created effect?
    Yes. Using your example, that would be correct.

b. If it gives advantage to something? Can I automate it somehow or should I just add the adv when the character roll it?
    I think it is the ADVATK/ADVSKILL/ADVINIT/ADVSAV/ADVCHK or the DISATK/DISSKILL/DISINIT/DISSAV/DISCHK tags. But I am not a 5e guy. Take a look at the wiki for effects and you might find your answer.

c. Let's suppose a character takes necrotic damage in a way his total hit points can't be restored unless he firs drinks a special potion?
    As far as I know, that cannot be automated. You will have to make a reference/reminder effect for this.

Is it a completely lost level or is it a temporary negative level? I think NLVL is still a thing in 5e, but I am unsure.
    Last edited by Blahness98; May 27th, 2020 at 15:27.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

Moved to 5E forums. Missed the advantage mentioned
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Sometimes I forget that FG knows more than D&D, but yes I am talking about 5e.
    The wiki page on effects are more than enough for my needs.
    Yes, I am talking about a temporary negative level, which I am not sure is still part of 5e, but it is on my houserules, so hence the question.
    Thanks for moving it to the appropriate area, I do have problems learning the ways of forums. I will try to remember that.

Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    After the wiki, check the stickies. Not sure if anyone has created an effects library for 5E and shared it. You can also create one yourself (as mentioned), create the effects as needed, or you can look at these from the DMsGuild; https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?...t=&pfrom=&pto=

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Here's some videos for you on creating and using effects https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Videos-for-5E

With regard to your questions

1. No.
    2. Watch the above videos
    3. There isn't an effect that you can create for a random ability score increase. So you'd have to do that manually
    4. Watch the above videos
    5. Currently there is no easy way to reduce max hit points other than doing it manually.
    6. There is nothing like that in 5e. But if you want to homebrew it you'd need to manually remove the level. I''d take a copy of the character sheet first before you do it.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by MytosBR View Post
    Hi, I am just starting to use effects within FG and I was looking for two things:

Thanks in advance.
    1. Not extensions but there are many modules that do this. The Players Handbook has most spells automated in drag and drop fashion already, and for those that aren't there is Rob2e to the rescue: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/209...?filters=45469

2. I think you were covered by the wiki here.
    a. My solution for this gets a little messy, but what I do is make multiple effects for each possibility, roll the die and then click the one I want. For example, I have all the potions with their different heal values and just use whichever one is relevant.
    b. Your call depending on how often it comes up. Also look in the wiki at the function of the IF function. For example, using the right effect you can mark a target with a paladin's oath ability that gives advantage vs that specific target, then with an AOE only the one target gets advantage and all the rest are normal.
    c. In 5e this is "reduce Max HP". There's a few monsters that do it, but no good way to automate it. Several people have tried extensions but none of them work quite right. I just make a note on the notes tab and manually drop the max hp. By the way, I do the same in reverse for spells like Aid that increase max HP.
    d. This doesn't exist in 5e, and would be really, really messy. You need to have lower level versions of the character sheet to swap out. Can do it easily if you export each time the party levels. It's a pain otherwise. The method is pretty simple though: the DM just opens the player window and clears owner of the level 4 character and then takes ownership of the level 5 character. Then drag the level 4 onto the combat tracker, fix current hp and spell slots and the player claims their old level 4 versions and you keep going with the game. Shouldn't take more than 30 seconds if you have them ready to go.

Thread Information