STAR TREK 2d20

FGU dependence on newer hardware?

We had a 5e session today - everyone updated (I did it myself.) We have a variety of machines:

• Newer
      HP ZBook 32GB RAM 2TB SSD - 2.17GHz Core i7-6820HQ CPUs
      MSI - GS Series Stealth - Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti - 512GB SSD

Older
      HP Pavillion - AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, 2.2GHz 8GB RAM
      MAC Pro (13-inch, mid-2010) running OS X.12.6 - 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256MB

This is the 2nd time we've played using FGU, last session was 2+weeks ago. Our first session went off without a hitch! Today, we had problem after problem. FGU hung up and crashed on both the MAC and the HP Pavillion machines. In fact, I had to reboot the Pavillion because 2 repeated attempts of bringing FGU up and on my campaign failed when the person using it tried to load their character. After re-booting, it seemed OK. The MAC crashed twice as well (spinning color-wheel of death,) however, re-starting FGU w/out rebooting seemed to work ok to resolve.

All these machines were connected to my local Wifi, playing a cloud session.

What I'm asking is this. Even though FGU seems to run adequately on ALL of these platforms (no issues with the newer ones,) is there some Unity dependence that is keeping FGU from running stable on these older platforms? Please, I'm not really interested in someone's opinion, unless it is based in some facts. I'm really looking for a developer, customer support person, or Unity expert to comment on the usability of older platforms with FGU.

Blog Entries
    I cant comment on the overall performance requirements of FGU but the AMD CPU is very low spec and the Mac is 10 years old.
    As disappointed as you might be I dont think that you should be surprised that these are not working well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuleen Donai View Post
    Please, I'm not really interested in someone's opinion, unless it is based in some facts. I'm really looking for a developer, customer support person, or Unity expert to comment on the usability of older platforms with FGU.
    If that is the response you want, it is unlikely such a person will see this on the forums. Please email [email protected] if that is who you want to reply.

That said, I will give you some helpful advice; that is a lot of machines on a single wifi hub. You will have less conflict and contention (i.e. problems) if you can use wired connections. But even if you can not, do not host via the Coud, instead do a private game and have each or your players use the host machine's local IP address.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Unfortunately, not everyone playing is local. I can't speak for the other 2 machines that were in our campaign, but I know one of them (my brother's gaming machine) is fairly new and FGU still crashed.

I realize this is pre-Beta code (not really beta yet.) Typically applications are in much better shape for a "beta" test, but hey, I understand that getting a bunch of outside testers pounding on your code is a good deal. Charging them for it, with only a 10% discount? Not so sure - you risk pissing off customers (which I've seen some of here.) Something like Fantasy Grounds should be able to run on a BUNCH of hardware (10 years old or not.) If the machine hosting the campaign needs to have more horsepower, then OK, but Client machines should be able to have less. Typically, you are going to have a campaign with 4-6, maybe 8 players. It not really reasonable to assume everyone is going to have a Gaming machine with recent NVidia hardware, or upgrade their hardware just to play D&D. Unity may be forcing that issue, though. That's really what I want to know.

As far as having that many people on a Wifi Network. Seriously? FGU isn't consuming that much network bandwidth, and if your Wifi Router can't handle 10+ concurrent 1Mb+ connections - dude, you need a new router!! Actually, we have nearly 40 devices, including 2 1080P streaming TVs, on 2 Wifi routers - one upstairs and one down - no issues. Now, I did group devices into groups and allocated BW to each group with mins and maxs to control things. Works great.

You are right, though, I may have to email [email protected] to get any real feedback.

Blog Entries
    If the machine hosting the campaign needs to have more horsepower, then OK, but Client machines should be able to have less. Typically, you are going to have a campaign with 4-6, maybe 8 players. It not really reasonable to assume everyone is going to have a Gaming machine with recent NVidia hardware, or upgrade their hardware just to play D&D. Unity may be forcing that issue, though. That's really what I want to know.
    I'm sorry you don't feel you are 'getting any real feedback.'

You probably won't care, but your supposition that FG can't run on a BUNCH of hardware isn't correct. I host 7 players from a 8 year old laptop every week with FGU. The players have everything from a 2 year old gaming rig to a 12 year old Mac laptop. And other than one session where we had two sequential crashes a month ago from a map with questionable LOS occluders, we have no issues (other than list opening lag). Obviously it does match your experience, but the issues is not so simple to say that high-end hardware is required or that it only runs on new computers. Its something much more complex.

I do hope you find the information you are looking for.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Tuleen: you can use "LAN" connection with external players. In this case LAN actually means something closer to "Direct IP Connection". The only change is that you need to set up port forwarding for Port 1802 UDP to the GM's local IP. Then internal players can connect to the local IP, and external players to the external IP. All this does is cut out the middle man of the FG cloud server, but I have found this to be much more reliable than the cloud server at this point.

Blog Entries
    We had a 5e session today - everyone updated (I did it myself.) We have a variety of machines:

• Newer
      HP ZBook 32GB RAM 2TB SSD - 2.17GHz Core i7-6820HQ CPUs
      MSI - GS Series Stealth - Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti - 512GB SSD

Older
      HP Pavillion - AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics, 2.2GHz 8GB RAM
      MAC Pro (13-inch, mid-2010) running OS X.12.6 - 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256MB

This is the 2nd time we've played using FGU, last session was 2+weeks ago. Our first session went off without a hitch! Today, we had problem after problem. FGU hung up and crashed on both the MAC and the HP Pavillion machines. In fact, I had to reboot the Pavillion because 2 repeated attempts of bringing FGU up and on my campaign failed when the person using it tried to load their character. After re-booting, it seemed OK. The MAC crashed twice as well (spinning color-wheel of death,) however, re-starting FGU w/out rebooting seemed to work ok to resolve.

All these machines were connected to my local Wifi, playing a cloud session.

What I'm asking is this. Even though FGU seems to run adequately on ALL of these platforms (no issues with the newer ones,) is there some Unity dependence that is keeping FGU from running stable on these older platforms? Please, I'm not really interested in someone's opinion, unless it is based in some facts. I'm really looking for a developer, customer support person, or Unity expert to comment on the usability of older platforms with FGU.
    Performance is one of key focus points right now, so you should expect to see some performance increases coming soon. Particularly with maps using LOS. We have reports from some users of over-taxed GPUs, which we are still investigating. Having said that, the Mac is well below the recommended specs for FGU: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...w-and-Download

When reporting a bug, you should include the ruleset, any extensions loaded, the operating system and attach the console.log. The console.log can be found in your data directory for Fantasy Grounds.

If you have a crash to desktop, you should attach a copy of the player.log along with your post. The can be found at:
    Windows: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\LocalLow\SmiteWorks\Fa ntasy Grounds\Player.log
    Mac OS: ~/Library/Logs/SmiteWorks/Fantasy GroundsName/Player.log

Just sayin' ...

Mine --> MAC Pro (13-inch, mid-2010) running OS X.12.6 - 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256MB

Your recommendations:
    OS: macOS 10.13+ (64-bit only) --> mine is 12.6 (not well-below)
    Memory: 4GB min, 8GB recommended --> mine is 8GB (that's what's recommended)
    Disk: 2GB-20GB (depending on DLC purchases) --> I have a 1TB SSD in this machine, so not a problem.
    Graphics: DX10 support (Windows only,) Video memory (2GB min, 4GB recommended) --> This would be THE ONLY place where you might be correct in claiming that it's well-below at 256MB. Even a fairly new 2016 MacBookPro machine only has 1.5GB of Graphic memory, so I guess if you want to run FGU on a MAC, you better have a brand-spanking new one!!

For a fairly 2D implementation, I'm still quite puzzled at your choice of an industry premier 3D rendering graphics platform like Unity.
    Last edited by Tuleen Donai; May 30th, 2020 at 16:45.

[QUOTE=Tuleen Donai;514741]Just sayin' ...

Mine --> MAC Pro (13-inch, mid-2010) running OS X.12.6 - 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256MB

Your recommendations:
    OS: macOS 10.13+ (64-bit only) --> mine is 12.6 (not well-below)
    [END QUOTE]

It's below minimum and won't be supported. Generally in terms of OS specifications, there's not a "close enough". I'm surprised it installs and/or loads on MacOS 12.6. Also, beta means beta. It will break. To help fix it, the devs need specific information to help them.

Thread Information