FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Hexploration

Hexploration

I was wondering if anyone has developed a good system for running hexploration games -- where the adventurers move across a hex map and uncover one hex at a time. To be more specific:

Is there a way to easily uncover (remove the fog of war) one hex at a time? An extension to do so maybe?
    Is there a toolset (not necessarily a FG thing) to create a good hex map that imports easily? Or, barring that, is there a good token set for hex maps? Would that even work?
    Speaking of tokens, things like a party token (a little group of adventurers) would be cool, as would tokens for discovered cities, dungeons, lairs and so on. Can you pin a token to the map so it won't move?

And just generally: if you run hexploration games using Fantasy grounds, how do you do it? What works and what doesn't? What resources do you rely on?

Thanks!

Forbidden Lands by Fria Ligan is exactly what you are looking for. Big part of the game is exploring the world after a cataclysmic event. There is community extension for this in FG: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-for-MoreCore)
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Blog Entries
    I think there are some hex tiles available in FGU. Mapping that way might fit exactly what you are looking for.

There is no easy way I know of to remove hex shapes from an image in FGC.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    Forbidden Lands by Fria Ligan is exactly what you are looking for. Big part of the game is exploring the world after a cataclysmic event. There is community extension for this in FG: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-for-MoreCore)
    Thanks, but just for clarity I am looking for ways to do hexploration in FG either with some form of D&D or with the core ruleset, primarily focused on how to build and then reveal the map. Sorry if I was unclear.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard203 View Post
    Thanks, but just for clarity I am looking for ways to do hexploration in FG either with some form of D&D or with the core ruleset, primarily focused on how to build and then reveal the map. Sorry if I was unclear.
    OK, this is simple - you pick an image for your world/area map and put hex-based grid on it. Then enable the mask and unveil manually using the reveal tools. Using a token that represents the party and various landmarks and other groups on the world map will improve the experience further.
    The user manual is quite extensive and I recommend to check the section about Grid and Masking: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...UserManual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    OK, this is simple - you pick an image for your world/area map and put hex-based grid on it. Then enable the mask and unveil manually using the reveal tools. Using a token that represents the party and various landmarks and other groups on the world map will improve the experience further.
    The user manual is quite extensive and I recommend to check the section about Grid and Masking: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...UserManual.pdf
    Thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is an easy way to unmask one hex at a time other than to freehand it.

Correct, the freehand is the way to do it today. And it is actually not bad, because you hint what might be beyond the hex's border One more reason to venture forward and potentially fall prey to some random or not-so-random encounter

+1 to this party. A way to reveal a hex-shape or a free form polygon would be welcome.

Could you build a tileset that was just the different size black hex tiles? Then lay those down over the map or even hex shaped tokens then delete them one by one as needed? Man setup would be a pain if you had like 100 tiles do to.

Also in the Fantasy ground\campaigns\maskedimages directory is where the masks are kept. Could you edit the file there directly then refresh some way?

Blog Entries
    In FGU you could do hex tiles. Yes you can edit the mask outside of FG. Just be cautious though and experiment first to get your process down without corrupting anything.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information