STAR TREK 2d20

Fantasy Grounds Connection Steam Purchase

I really need some help on this and I am at a loss and very confused.

I purchased FG on Steam a while back and I am able to connect on a LAN without a problem. Here lately, my friends want to start playing a virtual DND 5E and I purchased FG Ultimate with several mods through Steam. I get a connection failure repeatedly when I try to run a test. I am able to connect to fantasygrounds.com website without a problem, which is one of the suggestions in the program. Here is what I have done:

1. Port Forwarding. I set FantasyGrounds.exe on port 1802 with TCP (even tried UDP) with my internal IP address (192.168.1.144)
    2. My network is set to private.
    3. My firewall is disabled and I even set FG to allow.
    4. I tried resetting the router (even in bridge mode which I had to reset my router completely because it hosed the network).
    5. I tried connecting directly using my cable modem (ARRIS).
    6. I can connect to other games (everquest) just fine.
    7. I downloaded the program suggested to try to see if the port 1802 was open. It is not open for some reason.
    8. I tried changing from a dynamic to a static IP.
    9. I had a friend download the demo and connect to me using my external ip.
    10. I tried the tracert 8.8.8.8

Please help.

James
    Last edited by jrthom12; May 23rd, 2020 at 18:56.

Blog Entries
    Please see the sticky ...Connections Explained... and post the answers to the 8 questions.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

LordEntrails,

1. Your LAN IP Address
    192.168.1.114 On the computer I will be hosting this on the LAN IP is 192.168.1.144

2. The first two sets (octects) of your WAN IP as displayed by Fantasy Grounds and as displayed by your Router

3. Whether you are using Wired or Wireless (and not both)
    On the computer I will be hosting the game will be on a wired connection.

4. Confirmation that you have set your Adapter in Network and Sharing Centre to Private
    Network is set to private.

5. Confirmation of what AV you are running and whether you have set any exceptions
    Windows Security Defender on the computer I will host and it is disabled when I will be hosting. I will set the exceptions to allow FG.

6. Post the results of the tracert 8.8.8.8 command (if you have security concerns you can remove this bit once its been responded to)
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ThomasNetwork [192.168.1.1]
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 9 ms 10 ms 10 ms int.router.lancsc.comporium.net [208.104.201.114]
    4 13 ms 12 ms 13 ms 100.123.0.10
    5 17 ms 21 ms 31 ms ae97.edge4.Atlanta2.Level3.net [4.28.30.65]
    6 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms ae-2-3513.edge1.Atlanta4.Level3.net [4.69.150.161]
    7 20 ms 18 ms 19 ms 4.68.70.190
    8 17 ms 31 ms 30 ms 108.170.249.65
    9 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms 209.85.241.155
    10 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

I did the tracert using a windows 7 pc on a wireless connection. The pc hosting is windows 10 and wired.

7. Confirmation as to what you have setup in your Router if changes have been made
    Port Forwarding settings:
    FantasyGrounds 1802 to 1802 192.168.1.114 (will change this to 144 on the windows 10 pc) TCP Enabled Checked

8. Confirmation you do or do not have any Virtualisation NICs
    No Virtual NIC installed

I tried zerotier. This is what I did:

On the host machine (wired connection), I downloaded and installed zerotier and created the account as the youtube video indicated. This was very simple to setup. I created a virtual server and recorded the network id and joined the network on the host pc.

On a test machine (wireless connection). I downloaded and installed zerotier and typed in the network id assigned. I recorded the IP address of this virtual server.

Both machines have the firewalls and antivirus software disabled temporarily.

I launched FG on both machines and entered the IP address from the virtual IP as the host IP address on the client computer (wireless machine).

I still can not connect. LAN connections are flawless.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am very frustrated now.

Blog Entries
    Why are you testing from machine B when you want to play with machine A?
    Port Forwarding works to exactly 1 machine per port.
    Please do the tests from the GM machine and post the actual results - screenshots are even better.

It takes time for other people to help you. By answering ALL the questions you are both more likely to find the issue yourself and are going to cut down the time it takes for others to help you.

Please forgive me everyone. When I get frustrated with complicated issues, I tend to want them solved fast. It is a weakness of mine I have always had.

My problem was the cable modem itself and/or the dynamic IP address. My router is no longer connected at all. My cable modem was in bridged mode and tried all the settings and suggestions with no luck. A friend of mine who worked with tech support of my ISP while back talked me through the issue. My modem is no longer in bridged mode. I ran a test in FG and it says success. I would like to know if anyone can connect to me as a test.

Edit: Thanks for helping me. Connection successful.
    Last edited by jrthom12; May 26th, 2020 at 02:46.

Thread Information