FG Spreadshirt Swag

New GM needs advice on setting/rulesets/player-interests

Hi all,

I am looking for people who want to join my campaign(s) when finished. But I need to prepare the campaigns first and would love some advice on it.

What kind of setting do you suggest for the fantasygrounds community? Better classic or unique settings? On which of the following campaigns should I focus?

1. Classic forgotten realms
    high fantasy campaign like the baldurs gate games.

2. Legacy of the old ones
    Dark fantasy like game of thrones. Low magic, few magical beasts deeply layered politics. Anybody knows harnworld? Setting based on a world created by me. Some lore can be found here, but in German

3. Into the unknown
    A science fiction story. Starting as a realistic near future scenario with our world close to extinction. Several arche like space ships travel to find a new home for humanity. The early story is based on technology and science but quickly changes into horror and exploration. Later it will develop more into high science fiction like star trek. A major element are lesser and higher AIs which control and support almost every electronic device, from weapons to spaceships.

4. Stranded away
    Similar to the tv series Lost. Some people crash with a plane on a lonely islands and must survive. Some common elements like cannibals, abandoned facilities but also mysterious/fantasy/scifi elements like Anubis creatures (human jakals), energy fields, portals etc.

5. The multiverse of time
    Time travel adventure, starting in the 21st century. By traveling time new time dimensions are being created which run parallel to other time lines. Dimensions can appear, stop and merge.

Which rulesets fit? I only played pen&paper hardcore in the 90s. I played ad&d, DSA, shadowrun, pp&p, world of darkness, little rifts and little traveller.

Recently I played Savage worlds a bit.

So what would you suggest for my campaign settings?

Here are my suggestions. Please copy, paste and edit/add your suggestions. If you like you can also add an interest rating for each campaign setting idea
    1 (not interested) to 5 (very interested)

Rulesets: d&d e5 obviously
    Rating: 1-5

2. Dark, realistic fantasy with very little magic
    Rulesets: not really an idea for that. Magic everywhere.
    Rating:

3. Finding new home for humanity
    Rulesets: traveller? Savage worlds? Gurps?
    Rating:

4. Stranded on island
    Rulesets: Savage worlds or gurps?
    Rating:

5. Time travel adventure
    Rating:

Please help me! I am happy about any recommendation. Also in relation to fantasygrounds compatibility and community interests. Thanks!

Hi Berndout,

Rulesets: d&d e5 obviously
    Rating: 3

Rulesets: not really an idea for that. Magic everywhere.
    Rating: 5

Rulesets: traveller? Savage worlds? Gurps?
    Rating: 5 (traveller or Gurps, I love SW but its a little more cinematic)

4. Stranded on island
    Rating: 1-2

5. Time travel adventure
    Rating:1

Hi Berndout, love the tag by the way, I have some experience at DMing and also I am new to FG, as far as I can see 5E is far and away the most popular rule set here, with a little imagination you can bend D&D rules to include 1, 2, maybe 3 and definitely 4, and just by the same token 2 is basically Call of Cthulhu and 5 would be possible with CoC rules too, however the PCs would have very short existences. I personally think that what matters most is that you are passionate about the world/story/module. If you were playing at a time when I can play I would join you depends on your time zone. Good luck

Hi Berndout

Here are my suggestions to your suggestions.

Rulesets: d&d 5e
    Rating: 2 if from a module or 3 if self made with more RPG

Rulesets: GURPS (100pts)
    Rating: very realistic, very low magic 4/5

Rulesets: traveller - not really good for that idea, Savage worlds - not gritty enough, Gurps - very squishy for players as it is easy to die
    Rating: depending on what you want glorious heroes savage worlds 3, dire gritty fight for survival GURPS 3

4. Stranded on island
    Rulesets: Savage worlds - very good or GURPS? this will all depend on the setting modern day? swashbuckling?
    Rating: SW - (4) / GURPS (3) (again GURPS is good for high realism)

5. Time travel adventure
    Rating: GURPS (5) - copes well with technology changes and keeps things balanced - ran 3 of these myself very good for it

Good responses. Thanks! Keep in coming

Right now I am thinking to use GURPS and SW for most of my campaigns. SW for cinematic blockbuster style and GURPS for anything realistic. So I have rulesets for every genre/setting/player interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndout View Post
    Good responses. Thanks! Keep in coming

Right now I am thinking to use GURPS and SW for most of my campaigns. SW for cinematic blockbuster style and GURPS for anything realistic. So I have rulesets for every genre/setting/player interest.
    Both systems are great. I just found this Dark & Gritty adjustment for SW, maybe it will help:https://www.reddit.com/r/savageworld...ade_a_new_one/

dont forget about starfinder for many of those scenarios.
    and any dnd for #1

Rulesets: D&D 5e may be obvious, but there's no reason it can't work in AD&D or Savage Worlds. You could also use Pathfinder, and I suspect there'd be interest in it - just not me.
    Rating: 2-3 for a module or published campaign, 4 for your own creation.

Rulesets: Savage Worlds and Gurps are both good picks. You could also do well with Amber Diceless here, if you have the right group. You *can* mix in some tech, akin to Jack Vance's 'Dying Earth' series, or you can go more classic Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar, where magic exists but rarely in the hands of players. Also consider BESM, Cortex+, World of Darkness: Dark Ages, or Ars Magica, if you are prepared to get the client to cooperate with an unsupported system.
    Rating: 4. I love intrigue, but it's harder to find players who are ok with sessions without any combat and lots of social nuance. You will want a smaller and older group. I'd also suggest having a mixed-gender team, so it doesn't get quite so tacky as GoT was at times.

Rulesets: Gurps or Traveller. Savage Worlds, Blue Planet and others can work, of course.
    Rating: 2 if typical exploration stories, higher if it's more atypical, such as FASA's '1879' RPG or some of the Heinlein books.

4. Stranded on island
    Rulesets: Not my cup of tea at all.
    Rating: 1

5. Time travel adventure
    Rulesets: Gurps is the obvious choice, but HERO/Champions can work, and you can get Savage Worlds to do almost anything with some creativity. As above, BESM and Cortex+ are also viable.
    Rating: 1 if it's episodic, 3+ if it's a much more overarching storyline with proper research and planning to underpin it.

Note: I never awarded a 5, above, since perfect interest will only exist if all players buy into it, and you cannot know that a priori.

Thread Information