5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Yes, we've actually talked about switching things up to move away from state machine language parsing; but it would need to be replaced with something else such as a tag-based system independent of the text. However, this requires changes to both the system itself; as well as hundreds of DLC products. We just don't have the bandwidth currently for that.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Yes, we've actually talked about switching things up to move away from state machine language parsing; but it would need to be replaced with something else such as a tag-based system independent of the text. However, this requires changes to both the system itself; as well as hundreds of DLC products. We just don't have the bandwidth currently for that.
    I think there is a "cheaper" first step that would already provide significant added value for most users. In my experience, not even English is always the absolute problem, but the fluent understanding and flow of speech.

That means there are actually 3 steps, not 2, for a program translation:

1. no translation
    2. a translation in essential places, but not in all areas and. if necessary, with additional display of the English original, I will come to that in a moment. This would, a few (in my opinion rather small changes - I am a software developer but only know your code from the rulesets...).
    3. a form of "complete" translation (not a state machine...), but which ideally allows the mix.

Now to this level 2, which I will call "compromise solution":
    I, and many of my players, wouldn't even mind if a lot of things were displayed in English, but at least the German name would be displayed for quick reference. It is just more natural for us to say that someone should make a check agains "Wahrnehmung" instead of "Perception".

fgu_example_5eSkills.jpg

I would like to illustrate it with a screenshot (5e skills). Let's just assume that you can use a setting next to the Name field to optionally show a column for a display text. Not only for "skills".

The original name should be transferred regularly and not even access the string table, this should not be used in the encoding (although it would be nice if you could at least show the translation in the skills selection).

The transfer would now take the name (untranslated), and then _additionally_ copy it into the optional display text field (or use the string resources here). Then even players who cannot read English fluently will find their way around.

Thread Information