STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Equipment list for you own Setting

I was wondering how people deal with the equipment list when using their own settings, where some items could not be available or have different prices than in the SWADE Players Guide.

If lets say I have my own module for the setting, and I load also the players guide (for all the edges etc), is there any easy way of removing items/editing from teh players guide so when you import both modules into my campaign it uses the customised list only?

So far I have dealt with this by copying them from the Players Guide into my module, then changing them, but I have both appearing on the lists now. Players can filter my group but the "armor/weapon/etc" tables would show all of them.

Just wondering what would be the easier way of overriding them. I have thought on just grabbing the players guide module and manually edit it and stop using the "vanilla" one and using just mine.

You've pretty much figured it out. There is no way to suppress portions of the SWADE PG if you share it with players, so you either have to not share it, and have just your setting PG available to them, or as one would do at an actual table, tell them not to take equipment from the SWADE PG, then double-check their character sheets to make sure nobody did. I go with the latter, because I don't want to have to duplicate all the rules stuff from the SWADE PG in my module (or else deny them access to it) and I expect that they can manage to filter when selecting gear, but I double-check because there is always that one player that either wasn't paying attention, or forgot to filter that ends up with something they shouldn't have. I even retroactively ended up adding a weapon to my setting in one campaign when a player, after an Advance took the Desert Eagle from the SWADE PG. It had been long enough since I had created the equipment list that I had forgotten that it wasn't on it, and the item wasn't something that would have immediate jumped out as setting inappropriate like a lasergun. I only realized it when another player after raising his strength to a d6 was wanting to take the same weapon, but couldn't find it in my list. By then the guy's character had already been using it for several sessions, so I just retconned it in and let the other player take it as well rather than make him give it up. Would have never happened if he didn't have access to the SWADE PG, but duplicating it just to excise the bits I don't want to use in my setting is just more effort than I'm willing to put in.

Blog Entries
    The sidebar buttons are internally referred to as the "master index" lists. So, yes, if you bring up the master Items window (or any of its sub-windows such as Armor, Weapons, etc.) you will be viewing the master list of everything you/they have loaded. Meanwhile, each setting/player guide has its own unique list in its entry in the Library window, which is what should be used if you're restricting things to one setting. Since many settings also include stuff from the core rules or even other settings, the alternative in that case would be to make local copies (use the master window, grab an item then drop it back into the master window) then export that to your own player module so that it's shared and players can load it on their own to use while connected to your server.

Thanks both

I guess I have figured it out then. My question was just in case there were any tools/tricks to do the process described by Talyn in a less painful way As mac40k said it is borderline to the amount of work we want to do if you compare it to just wing it as you play

Yeah.. I put 'Tyrnador in the group name for the item (the ' to make it show up first) and told my players to just pick items from there

Quote Originally Posted by IceBear View Post
    Yeah.. I put 'Tyrnador in the group name for the item (the ' to make it show up first) and told my players to just pick items from there
    Similar idea here
    items.png

I feel your pain. I've been wanting a "disallowed" list in fantasy grounds for a while, specifically for this type of thing, especially edges, hindrances, skills, powers

I was being naive and I was hoping to have all of this in a module file or extension, but looks like it is part of the vaulted content (which makes sense) so no easy way of automating the copy.

Any extension out there that would copy stuff to your local module? Like all the edges/skills/equipment/etc without you needing to do it manually, and then afterwards you can just clean it up?

/export

Edit: Oh...adding just to your module. Sorry misunderstood. I believe everyone that makes the professional modules and extensions use SWEL but I have no experience with that. I have one campaign that is only for building my list of Edges, Items, etc that I export to a module that I use in my campaign that we play in. As stuff gets added I export from the builder campaign
    Last edited by IceBear; May 22nd, 2020 at 19:48.

Quote Originally Posted by IceBear View Post
    /export
    Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant to do it for the built in module. I can manually create copies in my module of every edge, remove the ones I don't want, and export it. Thats fine.

I am wondering if there is any speedy way of doing the manual bit of having to create copies of every edge/hindrance/etc...

Thread Information